Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA

Moving to "Southern" MD. Suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to "Southern" MD. Suggestions.

I'm not looking forward to the move, but it get's us closer to back home - which is Syracuse, NY from Green Bay, WI. I'm an avid duck hunter so I guess I've got that to look forward to. Unless all the public land is a zoo and landowners want an atrocious fee to hunt their property like here in WI...then I'm SOL...though I digress.

The wife would most likely be working out of DC. I would be working at the Nuclear Plant in Lusby.

Are there CCNP employees here? Please PM me if so, I'd like to pick your brain(s) a little.

Having lived in NY, most of my AR's are mostly ban compliant. And I've read about the 20 round mags and 8 day waiting period (does this apply to all gun purchases?), and one firearm purchase a month (again, does this only apply to handguns or all firearms? What about face to face transfers? Do they have to go through a FFL?).

I had my NY CCW permit while living in NY and I am also up to date on my Utah Non-Res and PA Non-Res permits. Are either of these two accepted in MD for ccw? How hard is it to get a ccw permit? When we first moved out here to WI I greatly missed carrying everyday/everywhere. But I'm semi-used to it now, so it's not really a deal breaker for me. Here in WI it's only a misdemeanor if caught with a concealed firearm...I've "heard" of people that carry regardless.

What is the living like between Lusby (I think that where the NP is located) and DC? What are commute times like? She would more than likely be going to a train station and riding into DC if that's possible rather than making the full commute in her car.

Right now, both of our commutes are about an hour. 90 mile round trip for me, and 120 for the wife. It's not ideal, but we like living in the country versus living in a suburb or in a housing tract. I grew up on a farm and she lived in a smaller village. We wouldn't be opposed to a small town for the time being.

Any other suggestions, ideas, comments, concerns, critiques? Where should we be looking to live that is semi-equidistant in commute times to DC and Lusby area?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'll answer what I can here and let the other MD guys fill in what I miss

As far as the CCW permit goes... Good luck. IIRC last time I looked into it, the process for obtaining one requires you to provide a legitimate reasoning for it. Some reasons I've heard are confirmed death threat against you or your family, handling large sums of cash after hours for business, and of course if you're federal or local law enforcement you are allowed to CCW. However for the average joe, it's very difficult. It requires a couple non refundable application fees (even if you don't get approved) and a lot of patience.

Now on to the commute. There are a couple ways to get into DC, and it all depends on where she's working in the city, and if she wants to take the train. The metro in DC is pretty worthless compared to most cities. I don't use it much, but if her employer is close to a metro station it would most definitely be worth it. It's about a 60 mi drive from lusby, taking either MD Rt 5 or MD. Rt 4. Both roads get jammed up in the morning. There is really no direct way of avoiding it. You can weave through the back roads but in the end you'll hit traffic on the belt way. I work shift work so I get to DC around 0630 and it's not to bad, but after 0730 it gets pretty gummed up pretty quick.

There are a million places to move here, I would recommend Southern Maryland if you're trying to keep the commute time down. It's fairly rural and pretty affordable. I would stay out of the districts around DC. They're either over priced or fairly rough areas. I moved from Minnesota about 3 years back and I find that southern Maryland is the most friendly besides western Maryland, but that's quite a commute to Lusby.

Good luck with the move, if you have any more questions post em up for send me a PM.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't know anything about the gun stuff, so I can't help you there. I would recommend looking for a place further north than Lusby, like maybe Prince Frederick. But if you dead set on Lusby, avoid Chesapeake Ranch Estates (aka the Ranch Club or CRE) like the plague. Depending on what line of work your wife is in, Pax River NAS is south of Lusby and there are a lot of Navy contractors in the area.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM
If you're still looking for info - here's what I know:

1. Good luck getting a CCW
2. 1 gun per month applies only to registered firearms (some ARs, all handguns, and the like)
3. Face-to-face is OK - requires registration and up to 2 weeks.
4. You'll be in a nice area! I live north of DC where it's quite a bit more crowded.

-John

Quick Reply: Moving to "Southern" MD. Suggestions.