Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA

WI to VA - Road Trip July '09

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post WI to VA - Road Trip July '09

Hey guys, the idea has been kicked around between my friend and i, and we decided that we are going to road trip to VA next summer. So i was thinking that this would be a good place to kinda get some opinions on things to do, place to stay, or even meet up with a fellow member for a BBQ or some drinks out on the town for a night and chat with the locals.

Were looking at the July25 through August 2nd time line. I have two weeks of plant shutdown and the first week would be consumed by my fishing on lake michigan, and i would use the second week of shutdown to drive out to VA for a week.

The reason behind this is ive never done anything like this, where we have just a few "things to do" on our list and the rest we pretty much wing it. I figure a backpack full of clothes, a camera, darts n pool cue, money, and have a blast with my friend Jim. I figure by stating to get together a game plan now it would make things go nice and smoothly. i dont know what we would all do, or where we would all go, but i will be making a stop at

Troyer Performance, Inc.
980 Valley Rigde Road
Covington, VA 24426

When researching from some custom tunes it came to me that i should just drive my truck out there for them to work on it right there at the shop, it would give me a great excuse for this road trip. So that will be the main reason for doing this, but it would also be a kick @ $ $ vacation!!! I've been to Alaska, Mexico, Minnesota, Sout Dakota, U.P. of Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, and Ohio, but most of that was by way of air, except the trips to the U.P. and South Dakota. But those trips were before i could drive, so its been a long time since ive ever did some long distance traveling. To vacation by flying is ok, gets you there fast and is definately cheap on gas, lol, but the stories and memories of a road trip will be phenominal!

Alright, anyways, sorry for the long post, but i hope that maybe some of you guys/gals from the area can point me in the right direction for cool attractions. I've got a long time to plan this out, and i will be definately be looking into catching some sort of a racing event, whether it be a nasar event, or even some local dirt tracks. Maybe even a trip to the ocean would be worthwhile. So let me know if your in area and would be willing to meet up or whatever, good places to eat, cheap places to stay, etc. etc.

I will be contacting Troyer in the next couple days to start working things out with them as well. I will probably doing the Stage 2, maybe Stage 3 Performance package.

btw, we will be leaving from Beaver Dam, WI and i have no idea where we will stop first. and if i keep digging, and after talking with Mike, i might just as well be doing it this year!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Well I live in VA and might be home in July all depends on the week. Let me know if you guys are stopping in Northern VA By the way BUDDS CREEK NATIONAL is July 13th!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap 09'!? My bad that is a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng time away but I'll probably have an internship next summer.

Last edited by CRF250rider1000; 03-10-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Well I live in VA and might be home in July all depends on the week. Let me know if you guys are stopping in Northern VA By the way BUDDS CREEK NATIONAL is July 13th!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap 09'!? My bad that is a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng time away but I'll probably have an internship next summer.

Yea well, the more were planning this out the more and more we want to do it this year!!!!

I Gooooogled it at 783 miles, approx. 13 hours... one way.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Well, if you are in the Northern Va. area, let us know. it'd be cool to meet up with fellow F150 Online members.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Roanoke, VA here. I am about an hour south of Troyer, per MapQuest. Not an awful lot to do in this little city, im still getting used to it myself, been here less than a year.

I imagine you will be on I-81 for a good part of your journey. I work maybe 15 minutes south of the interstate on the north side of the city. So, if I am on shift and you wanna stop for a coffee and see some fire trucks be sure to dig up this thread in a year....

Virginia is a gorgeous state, the reason I moved here. I am sure you and your buddy will have a blast. I road tripped to Cheyenne and Elk Mountain Wyoming after I garduated high school with some good friends, great memories!

Later...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
thanks for the reply medic.

I have talked with a few guys at a mustang forum and they have shared thier experiences and pictures with me of the state of Georgia. For couple years i really wanted to move there. However i cant see myself leaving this great Salmon and Trout fishery i have in my backyard, i.e. Lake Michigan. I think a road trip will be good to get out and see what the states have to offer, what its really like "getting out of Dodge"

Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by RightTurn
For couple years i really wanted to move there. However i cant see myself leaving this great Salmon and Trout fishery i have in my backyard, i.e. Lake Michigan. I think a road trip will be good to get out and see what the states have to offer, what its really like "getting out of Dodge"
I tried that for a few years and ended up coming back to WI. Not going to start a "my state is better than yours" argument here, but WI is hard to leave and I've lived in Alabama, Texas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Tennessee was my favorite of this group, even with the 9.5% sales tax.

Quick Reply: WI to VA - Road Trip July '09