Lightning

New lightning PCV Valve Kit Looks Good

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New lightning PCV Valve Kit Looks Good

Just got my PCV kit and I got to say it not only looks good but after reading what it does, it makes total sense.
Ordered it from E-Bay thanks to one of you giving the link,
and WAM it's here the next day, can't beat that

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2402865750

Old 02-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Will this thing stop the sickly amount of smoke i get on startup? And does it matter if the truck is stock or modded?

-Patrick

Old 02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by FLBigDog
Will this thing stop the sickly amount of smoke i get on startup?
We shall soon find out. I got a kit as well and I have the spy hunter startup option too

Old 02-12-2003, 07:43 PM
It should help. Here is the e-Bay link with more information. I got mine and it works great!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6770

Old 02-12-2003, 07:46 PM
dammi I didn't get mine yet!

Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 PM
This will take care of ONE of our oil sucking problems.
It will prevent oil from being pushed over to the drivers side of the Motor and up into the FRONT of the Throttle Body. We all know we have a SECOND oil sucking problem which it the oil being sucked into the BACK of the supercharger/manifold.

What this is, is basically two check valves/ PCV Valves.
It will only allow passage one way, the way a PCV is suppose to work.

Too dark and cold to mess with it right now but it makes total sense and should stop ALL OIL from entering the Front of the Throttle Body.

I should note that they claim with the installation of these two pieces that there 2002 Lightning test vehicle has also slowed the REAR Sucking problem down to almost nothing, only time will tell.

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 02-16-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:27 PM
I put an oil separator on both the passenger and driver side PCV lines and only had oil develop in the passenger side separator.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Does this kit work better or allow something to function that the seperator doesnt? I am trying to decide it I need to scrap the seperator and get the kit.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:54 PM
To tell you the truth I took my Seperator off, I look at it this way, I've never ever had to add oil, so how much can I be loosing.
I should be honest here though and say I don't think I've ever actually checked the oil

The check valve will absolutely positively work
I've been using a oversized home made version for quite some time and it leaves the Throttle Body spotless.
But this kit is much cleaner and impossible to see with the eye
compared to this

But my set up does work

This is a picture of my OLD throttle body from my Gallery with the caption (now I have an Accu-Fab)

Photo Description: Throttle Body. Look, no oil. That Crankcase Breather works great. Before I had it, the Throttle Body had plenty of oil in it.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:07 PM
03: I gotta ask, which direction did you install the two separators??? Was the passenger side pointing to the blower and the driver side pointing at the intake boot?

Rob_02, I keep reading your post-- I agree with you totally--two problems.

I have to question the link/site about "flow through the PCV reversing" If that were the case, then that would mean all that oil getting collected in a separator (or passing through to supercharger) on the passenger side is ONLY happening during low throttle/idling. I had been thinking that during idle, there is a low vacuum being pulled THROUGH the engine--from intake boot to drivers side valve cover-through engine--out through passenger side and up into supercharger. Then under open throttle, the pressure in driver side is greater than the low amount of vacuum, so oil on that side is sucked up into intake boot instead. The passenger side is still under vacuum to supercharger, right??? Won't you still have to have the separator on the passenger side, since with the new check valve on driver side, flow will only be allowed into engine and not back toward intake boot?
(Sorry about the wordiness here!)

ALSO, 1. where is the oil separator that the factory "vacuum line routing" sticker under the hood shows?
And 2. where does the line go that tees off between factory PCV and supercharger???

Old 02-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks Rob

For posting your pic of instructions...I went to there wb site and ordered one..I was not going to, but what the hell its only 30bucks w/ shipping I'll see if it works

Whitestx sorry about the other night I was cranky....lol

Slick

Old 02-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Yes And No

The PCV Valve is suppose to allow the crankcase pressure to be released "sucked out of the motor" and back into the system, in our case the back of our supercharger and the line t'd off which is below the intercooler I believe.

The problem is our Stock PCV also allows the Pressure back through the PCV (aka) "BACK IN The Motor" which in turn pushes it over to the drivers side and up into the throttle body. By closing off the PCV with a one way valve that can no longer happen.

This is why a Breather Cap works, it allows the pressure to vent out and not over, but of course the downside is, it takes in Un-Metered Air, thats why I use a check valve on mine. I will no longer need a Breather Cap

With the introduction of another Check valve that comes with this kit to the Drivers Side, I got to assume the thought is, the Throttle Body can still suck it open, but maybe the internal pressure can't push through it, or even better, maybe it relieves this pressure or vacum from going up into the Supercharger

I think it all makes sense, and I think it'll work,
But we still may have oil going into the back of the S/C

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 02-16-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:43 PM
LightStruck,

The passenger side had air flow going to the blower and the dirver side had air flow going to the intake boot. The passenger side had oil in it after two days but the driver side had no oil even after three weeks, not even a trace, the collector was not even slick.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the answers guys!, I hope as more of these kits are installed, we see more posts about them working--either totally, or partially, or whatever? Please let us know.
All I know is, this dang 'smokin at startup' thing is gettting more and more embarassing. I'm beginning to wonder if I should take out the 02 sensor, plumb in a couple of PCVs and a smoke grinder/separator and run the line back into the "still-stock-for-now" air filter box.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:57 PM
I am no expert, but from evaluating my set up after driving over 600 miles (oil separator on line form passenger side head to the solenoid on the passenger side supercharger and oil separator from driver side head to intake boot) I believe that oil is coming form the passenger side head only. I also believe that oil suction is a result of acceleration and not idle. I say this because:

1. Only the passenger side oil separator has oil in it.
2. The passenger side oil separator has a plastic fitting inside the tube that causes the air entering the tube to swirl.
3. The oil already in the separator tube swirls (a result of the spinning air entering the separator) only when the throttle is opened. It sits still when at idle.
4. I could feel no noticeable vacuum from the driver side PCV tube. Not at Idle or open throttle.
5. After 600 miles of driving that included every situation form idle to WOT, full vacuum to 10 psi of boost. I have no oil in the driver side oil separator.

This does not seem to explain how oil gets on the throttle body since it is believed that the passenger side tube goes to the rear of the supercharger. If you look at Rob_02Lightning's picture of the passenger side of the engine you will see that the tube actually goes to what appears to be a solenoid. If you look at the front of this solenoid another tube goes from the solenoid to the intake boot. I believe that the oil actually passes from the passenger side head through the solenoid, out the front of the solenoid and into the tube to the intake boot and into the throttle body. This is just a guess.

Quick Reply: New lightning PCV Valve Kit Looks Good