Lightning

2000 Lightning; No crank, no run

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Lightning; No crank, no run

2000 Lightning, 130k. Just bought this truck, trying to restore it, because its in rough shape. Anyway, I had it running this morning, tonight, nothing. The Theft light is flashing, the overhead light is flashing and theres a clicking along with the flashes (sounds like a relay). I have the dash top removed, and the whole drivers side face removed. Headlight switch is out, stereo is out, A/C is out. Waiting on parts. Is this the PATS system messing with my life? I don't have another key. The truck does have an aftermarket Clifford alarm installed too (which I've tried arming and disarming). Anybody have any idea what the problem is? I just need to move it over a few feet so I can get my X3 in the garage with it. Thank you.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2942.MOV (3.88 MB, 9 views)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
If your overhead light is flashing and random relay clicking, it might be your battery or your GEM. I'd start checking fuse boxes for corrosion.

What was the reason it is in bad shape? Was it flooded?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Battery shows 12.1V on the multimeter. Whats GEM?

It was in bad shape because its been through 7 other owners and each one has changed something. Plus the Florida heat destroyed all the plastics in the car (which is why the dash is out, it pretty much shattered). It looks like one of the previous owners had a big system in the car. There are loose RCA cables and wires under the dash, the stereo holder has been chopped up, the connector was cut off, the headlight connectors have been cut up and pieced back together, and the same with the headlight switch wires. Truthfully, had I known about all the wiring "mods" this truck had, I never would have picked it up. But since I did, I'm pretty much gutting it and replacing everything that was messed with.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 PM

No idea why, but I disconnected the battery for an hour and it started right up.
Now both my babies get to be inside like they’re supposed to be.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Hooray for it starting!
A fully charged battery should check about 12.6 volts assuming your meter is accurate. You may need to charge or replace the battery.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 PM
The meter is one of the free Harbor Freight ones, so I’m sure it’s not accurate.
Probably throw the solar charger on the truck in the morning if the sun comes out and it starts again, just to be sure it’s good.

Quick Reply: 2000 Lightning; No crank, no run