Lightning

Right turn signal blinking fast and right brake light(red light) not working

Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right turn signal blinking fast and right brake light(red light) not working

If anyone can help me out. please

i have a 2001 model. The right turn signal is blinking faster than normal like 3 to 4 times. I replaced the bulb figuring that was the problem. THat didnt work. The right turn signal still blinks fast. also the right brake light does not turn on. but when i set the alarm on, the right brake light turns on/off. It works with the security system but when the car is turn on.

Some please help

Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
rvm
have you tried replacing the right brake light?

Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Check all turn signal bulbs on the rught side, front, rear and side.
Fast flashing usually indicates a bad bulb somewhere.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 AM
im gonna replace the right brake light tomorrow and hopefully that works.
My friend was also talking about a dead fuse could also be the cause but im not sure.
But thanks!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't think it would be a fuse. If it were you would have more little problems than just the light. One fuse goes to like 5-6 things. I'm sure its just a bad bulb.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 AM
rvm
DO the bulb first before anything else. .

Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Like the others have already said. Check the brake light bulb. A fast blinking directional is a direct indicator of a bad bulb.
I actually replaced my passanger brake / turn bulb a couple of weeks ago and the fast blinking turn signal is what told me it was out.

Last edited by mlamprey; 06-15-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
rvm
Its actually happened to me a number of times. . . and a bad bulb was always the reason.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just fixed this problem with my truck...If it isn't the bulb, it may be a shorted wire in the steering column. There is a fixed connector on the top side of the steering column with several wires connected to it that is routed thru the turn signal...even the brake light. The best I can gather is the wires are a little too short and if the column is lowered too far it pulls the wires out of the back of the connector...try moving the steering wheel up and down to see if it affects anything (if the bulb isnt burnt out)

The following 2 users liked this post by darkhorse:
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Totally check the bulb fella, gotta be the problem!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM
same thing

this started happening to me. started yesterday so i changed the bulb. not it so i googled it

Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 AM
Make sure to check the bulb itself anyway

I have the same issue (rear left turn signal is out, and the front left one blinks very fast). I noticed that the rear left brake light would come on though. So I removed the tail lamp housing and looked at the physical bulb itself. The bulbs used in the 2001 expeditions has two element wires inside, one for the brake light and the other for the turn signal.

So you could test the brakes and determine that it's not the bulb, when in fact the turn signal element wire in that same bulb could be burnt out. The owner's manual says the bulb to replace it with is a 3157K. Looks to be about $6 everywhere I look online, so not an expensive fix by any means.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Thanks Darkhorse

Originally Posted by darkhorse
I just fixed this problem with my truck...If it isn't the bulb, it may be a shorted wire in the steering column. There is a fixed connector on the top side of the steering column with several wires connected to it that is routed thru the turn signal...even the brake light. The best I can gather is the wires are a little too short and if the column is lowered too far it pulls the wires out of the back of the connector...try moving the steering wheel up and down to see if it affects anything (if the bulb isnt burnt out)
You were correct. My problem was not a bulb but a disconnect in the steering column. To verify this I turned on the right blinker and it blinked fast like a bulb was out. after reading your post I set it on and then moved the steer column and it worked properly when the steering wheel was moved up. I disassembled and removed the turn signal switch and wiring harness. There are two connectors on the switch, one for the wipers, window washer, et.al. and the other is for turn signals, emergency flasher, etc. This connector is not holding the wire leads tightly, they are looser than gooses bowel, so when the push the connector on the switch the wires will simply back out of the plastic. Usually you to force a small screw drive into the backside of each wire to get them to release. These will fall out if you pull on them. My theory is that the wires are long enough but when to put the steering wheel in the down position it pulls the wires away from the switch connector and when you lift back up it makes contact again. If I can't get the wires to wedge against the plastic connector I will hot glue everything back together. Thanks Darkhorse for your nearly ten year old post. I would have spent days tracing this down to the column. You are my hero.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 AM
exactly my problem

I also thank you darkhorse, this fixed my problem perfectly.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:18 PM
This is the answer.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
This guy gets it. I just had the same issue and this was 100% the problem. The bulb was fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right turn signal blinking fast and right brake light(red light) not working