Lightning

Annoying squeak in rear suspension ?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Annoying squeak in rear suspension ?!

I have an extremely annoying squeak coming from the rear suspension somewhere. You cant really hear it with the windows down, but if you open the slider in the back window, that squeak is LOUD!
Mine in particular is on the right side, because when I corner hard to the left, putting more weight on the right, it doesnt do it. If I'm just driving normal or cornering to the right, it is a constant squeak squeak squeak.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was it?? I cant tell where its coming from when Im driving. I found one post where someone else had the squeak and replaced the shocks and it was still there, so its something else.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-22-2001, 12:09 AM
Is it really high pitched?

------------------
Mark
'00 Lightning
'79+ Corvette

Old 06-22-2001, 12:22 AM
yes, really high pitched and not a squeak from stressing the suspension. Its a really loose sounding noise, that doesnt hardly even take a bump in the road to make it squeak.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:39 AM
Open and close your tailgate hard. It will squeak sometimes if one side doesn't completely latch. It was so high pitched that I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. I'm not going to tell you what I went through to figure that one out.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:51 AM
I have had the annoying squeak forever, and can't figure it out! It drives me nuts, and I wish I knew what it was.

Justin

------------------
'99 Black Lightning #0055
JL Ram Air, JL Flip Chip, chrome wheels, Magnaflow, Modified accumulator from Factory_Tech (love it!!) best time: 12.95 @ 104.28, 1.87 60' on F-1's

Old 06-22-2001, 01:34 AM
Mine used to squeak & I always thought it was the bed or tailgate. Used to drive me crazy when I would open the back window also. Never found out what it was cause it stopped when I had the lid put on.

------------------
99 Red L #1069 of 4000 ,Mobil 1 Oil,Lightning Hitchcover, Lightning Floormats, Tinted Windows, BEDRUG, ARE LS2 tonneau (with wing),V1 with remote,Altezza tail lights

Old 06-22-2001, 02:40 AM
Its youre tailgate mine did the same thing, Super anoying. Took it to the dealer they put some grease on it and that did nothing. Put a lid on it and it went away. It comes form the right side of the tailgate, because that is where the tailgate can be removed.

Old 06-22-2001, 05:28 AM
Talking

There are two little rubber stoppers on the jamb just above the strikers.....mine did the same thing....after i installed drop shackles.....i went so far as taking the shackles off.....looked forever and then figured out where it was coming from...Add alittle white grease to the stoppers and the squeak should stop......

------------------
red 1994 lightning....oh my god i never expected this thing to keep running this long......130,000 miles and still running strong.........

00 white L...# 1993 build date 4/5/00 Johnny Lightning Enhanced!!! Straight pipe exhaust, billet third brakelight cover, water wetter, mobil 1. cant wait to install that "package" for Ted!!!! Watch out Z06!!!

Old 06-22-2001, 07:12 AM
Man, I'm glad someone posted on that. I had resigned myself to live with the squeak forever. Thanks for the fix, red gen 1 94, that did the trick.

------------------
<A HREF="http://users.ev1.net/~temurphy/lightning/" TARGET=_blank> </A><A HREF="http://haloclub.svt-lightning.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Black Lightning

Old 06-22-2001, 07:39 AM
redgen: are the stikers, jamb, etc, in ref. to the tailgate...?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by red gen 1 94:
There are two little rubber stoppers on the jamb just above the strikers.....mine did the same thing....after i installed drop shackles.....i went so far as taking the shackles off.....looked forever and then figured out where it was coming from...Add alittle white grease to the stoppers and the squeak should stop......

</font>

Old 06-22-2001, 08:09 AM
I had the squeek to but it was coming from the leaf springs had to put rubber between the leafs on the ends fixed the problem for me.

------------------
Mods:
Smitty Built:Brush guard,Nerf Bars
Jacobs Ignition
chassis tech 3" lift spindles
Pro comp extra travel shocks fr+ba
Micky Thompson Mtx 185/75r16
hypertech super chip
Rancho 2" blocks+add a leaf
Moble 1 synthetic 0w30 oil
Red line atf and rear end lube
performance accessories 3" body lift+gap guards
JVC Kamilion and kenwood 100x4 amp, planet audio 5x6 fr 6x9 in rear
Machanical water and oil guages+tach
bed liner, (Swiss Cap for sale)
80/100w superblue headlamps
4.10 rear end gears
Hellwig rear antisway bar
Flow master Y pipe JBA Headers, Edelbrock cat back exaust.

Old 06-22-2001, 08:51 AM
I just got that squeak a while back with my drop shackles too!.

I'm going to take off the shackles reweld an outer piece of steel to them, then cut out the inside piece and that should stop the two from rubbing each other. If not, Ifigure something out. The white grease just stops it until the grease runs out right?

------------------
POWER SURGE PERFORMANCE RULES!!!

Old 06-22-2001, 11:14 PM
Thumbs up

Guys that was it! Mine was actually coming from the small metal attachment at the end of the cable that connects the tailgate to the side of the bed.

I put grease on the plastic bushing where the tailgate slides on and also up where the latch is for the gate. That didnt fix it so I just said what the hell and put some grease on that metal ring at the end of the cable... problem solved!

The weird thing is that the noise would go away if you stood in the right-rear of the bed. I still have no idea why, but I dont care - it doesnt squeak anymore!

Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2001, 12:32 AM
Red face

No problem Madhouse....like i said it took me forever to find the squeak but at least I was at work (on the clock) when i found the fix.......

------------------
red 1994 lightning....oh my god i never expected this thing to keep running this long......130,000 miles and still running strong.........

00 white L...# 1993 build date 4/5/00 Johnny Lightning Enhanced!!! Straight pipe exhaust, billet third brakelight cover, water wetter, mobil 1. cant wait to install that "package" for Ted!!!! Watch out Z06!!!

Quick Reply: Annoying squeak in rear suspension ?!