Lightning

HELP!!! having truck issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! having truck issues

Ok my truck has been doing this for the last couple of months off and on so its been very sporadic, but recently in the last 7 or 8 days it has happened a few times a day! and im worried to drive it!

When i give it gas anything over 20 mph to WOT my exhaust makes a terrible noise like a tin can rattling or like a loose chain type noise and my exhaust gets louder too at the same time, im running the basic mods 4 lber, etc. with bassani exhaust and im wondering if its my stock cats that are going out? Ive asked around (other fellow lightning owners in my area) and no one is 100% sure!

Any idea what my problem might be?
Maybe the stock cats are out?
Any help would be great!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
mine did this when a baffle had come loose on my stock muffler.

it sounded AWFUL.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Sounds like my Camaro from a few years ago, I got underneath and banged around with a rubber mallet, the muffler sounded like a recycle bin full of beer cans. Had the muffler switched out and was fine from then on.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok I dont think its my mufflers they are bassani bx top of the line mufflers!
I still think its my cats?

Please help any other suggestions out there to my problem?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Look at your header gaskets

Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Are you for sure it is your exhaust? Just be sure it is not pinging, which sounds like marbles in a tin can, if it is you need to get it diagnosed asap. It could be your exhaust as well like the other stated, more than likely your stock cats. What year truck and how many miles? Do you have all four stock cats or just two? Also how many miles and how long have you had your bassani mufflers. Sorry to break the news to you but Bassani BX is not top of the line.

Start your truck, (with it in park, e-brake on, and preferably chocked as well) and get underneath, (may need to have it up on a lift, ramps, or jack stands) and bang around on the exhaust see if you can get it to make the noise and see where it is coming from.

Also what kind of mods do you have and how long has it been since you got your last tune? Stan

Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
FordFanStan:
Ok im sure it is not pinging! It sound likes my cats, just not sure because it comes and goes! My truck is a 01, and has 60,000 miles, and yes I have all four stock cats. The bassani mufflers have been on probbably for at least 3 years to 4 not sure on that.

My mods are 4lber, new gatorback pulley, SCT X-CAL 2, ngk tr6's, jlp intake, new thermostat, shift kit, and the bassani exhaust. The tune was done at Dantes mod perfromance about a year and half ago.

Also had the truck up on the lift about 3 months ago to check all the welds and eveything looked fine, and even banged the stock cats around too.
I just can't figure this out!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
So it started a couple months ago and you said you looked at it last on the lift 3 months ago. Maybe it's time to look underneath again. Have you thought about coming back in to DMP for a dyno tune since the new Mustang dyno is in? Stan

Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 AM
So what should I do when I take it in to the muffler shop tommorrow? If the stock cats are blown what should I do?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by SoCalSVT01
So what should I do when I take it in to the muffler shop tommorrow? If the stock cats are blown what should I do?
replace them with some high flows

Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Have them cut out and replaced. The thing is your going to have trouble findind a exhaust shop here in Cali that will replace your cats with nice high flow quality aftermakert catalytic converters. Be weary of where you go and what products they will use. There are many choices out there, but some don't last like they should.. Stan

Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 AM
ok so if the stock cats that are blown out they are the rear ones correct? and those are the ones he needs to cut out?
How long are the stock cats supposed to last?
What hi flows should I have him put in, its needs to be done in one day! its a DD!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! having truck issues