Truck will start then die..... - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Lightning
Truck will start then die..... > Truck will start then die.....
Lightning

Truck will start then die.....

Reply

 
 
  #1  
Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Truck will start then die.....

I'm new to the forum since I just bought my 02 HD a few weeks ago. I realize this is the lightning forum but since it's the same motor (certain years) I figured it might help someone here too.

Bought truck and drove it for a week and a half. I ordered a K&N intake kit and installed it. I crank the truck up immediatly after installing the intake and it sounds great..... pull the truck over to the garage to put away some tools and leave it running. While I'm putting tools away I here the truck die... So I go and crank it and all it does is crank normally, then dies. Try a few times and it eventually stays running but RPM's hunt up and down. Pressing gas has no effect. So I'm thinking a vacuum line somewhere since I just put the intake on.... Well long story shorter, it was nothing to do with the work I had just done. After a day and a half and replacing Idle Control Valve and TPS, I started looking at relays..... The relay under the hood that is attached to the fuse box, there are two of them. One is the high/low fuel pump of something like that... I have a spare and decide to try it and what do you know the truck starts up and runs like new. A $5.00 relay disabled my entire truck and had me stumped.... Hope this saves someone a headache...

Thanks for a great forum, I'm learning constantly.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 273
deleted
 

Last edited by LTNDave; 09-24-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: In the shop cutting something up
Posts: 749
02 & 03 are the same.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Burlington, Ma
Posts: 6,166
Originally Posted by olefafl
02 & 03 are the same.
Same motor, but different upper pulley, and programing
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 273
deleted
 

Last edited by LTNDave; 09-24-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
There's always "That Guy" that wants to prove they know more than the next person........

I hope my original post helps someone or at least saves them some time.

Thanks for the important info LTNDave..... What does HP/TQ ratings have to do with a fuel pump relay anyway? Correct, nothing.....
I was only sharing a problem/solution, not trying to debate the differences in the L/HD trucks of certain years. I clearly said I was referring to a 02 HD.
Anyway, great forum overall.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA/ LIGHTNING FAST
Posts: 967
Talking No One Was Trying To Prove Anything

Originally Posted by eodtech72
There's always "That Guy" that wants to prove they know more than the next person........

I hope my original post helps someone or at least saves them some time.

Thanks for the important info LTNDave..... What does HP/TQ ratings have to do with a fuel pump relay anyway? Correct, nothing.....
I was only sharing a problem/solution, not trying to debate the differences in the L/HD trucks of certain years. I clearly said I was referring to a 02 HD.
Anyway, great forum overall.
No one was trying to "prove, anything this forum is made up of people who know more than most of us and are willing to help and correct those who like myself do not know everything you just got corrected except the fact that your HD is not a lightning nor will it ever be. And don't try to blame someone else who is trying to help you always remember you may want to come on this forum and ask for information about a subject where someone knows more than you do. You know it is not a crime to have more knowledge than some one else .
 

Last edited by tlfwatch; 09-15-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hobart, IN
Posts: 1,634
perhaps alternator
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Rutledge Md. (west of Fallston Md.)
Posts: 517
Originally Posted by tlfwatch
No one was trying to "prove, anything this forum is made up of people who know more than most of us and are willing to help and correct those who like myself do not know everything you just got corrected except the fact that your HD is not a lightning nor will it ever be. And don't try to blame someone else who is trying to help you always remember you may want to come on this forum and ask for information about a subject where someone knows more than you do. You know it is not a crime to have more knowledge than some one else .
Yea ,right,, some real winners on this forum Thanks Don,,, and thanks EODTECH for the tip, and welcome...
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hammer Lane
Posts: 4,120
Great googly-moogly! Pick any nits lately?



Thanks for the tip eodtech72. That's what this forum used to be about. There is a lot of good info here; and, most of the guys here are still pretty good guys, too.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 273
Originally Posted by eodtech72
There's always "That Guy" that wants to prove they know more than the next person........

I hope my original post helps someone or at least saves them some time.

Thanks for the important info LTNDave..... What does HP/TQ ratings have to do with a fuel pump relay anyway? Correct, nothing.....
I was only sharing a problem/solution, not trying to debate the differences in the L/HD trucks of certain years. I clearly said I was referring to a 02 HD.
Anyway, great forum overall.

Don't be a jerk!!


Thanks for being "That Guy" who has to prove that he knows more than the next.
 

Last edited by LTNDave; 09-24-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
As I stated before, I hope my post helps someone here......

As for all the superfluous info, hey if that's what makes you feel good about yourself have at it. I know the differences but it wasn't really relevant or meant to start a debate. If you read the post I said for an 02 HD. If you don't have that "type" of motor than you could have just ignored the post as it was irrelevant to you.

Thanks to some of you for the welcome.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 273
Originally Posted by eodtech72
As I stated before, I hope my post helps someone here......

As for all the superfluous info, hey if that's what makes you feel good about yourself have at it. I know the differences but it wasn't really relevant or meant to start a debate. If you read the post I said for an 02 HD. If you don't have that "type" of motor than you could have just ignored the post as it was irrelevant to you.

Thanks to some of you for the welcome.

The last time I checked this was the LIGHTNING FORUM, not the HD forum.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seabrook,NH
Posts: 3,278
Is that the same relay Gigi changed?
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
What this is the Lightning forum?? Guess I was in the wrong place....thanks for bringing that to my attention LTNDave. You are the unopposed Master of the Obvious...

For the rest of you sane Lightning owners I hope this is useful, I know I get alot of info from Lightning forums AS WELL AS the HD forums. Most people are thankful for shared information/knowledge. I'm done.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
carid
Site Vendor Specials & Classifieds
8
10-18-2016 10:26 AM
Vanwilder01
2015 - 2017 F-150
31
08-04-2016 03:07 PM
dlauffenburger
Other Audio System
5
10-26-2015 10:11 AM
10thGenF150ty
V8 Engines
2
07-14-2015 12:33 AM
ryan42680
Suspension
0
07-08-2015 07:47 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.