Lightning

Tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire suggestions?

Before I get to the post...a little Ford Ranger (mid 90's) pulled up to me and started revving up (sounded like he had put on an aftermarket muffler). I couldn't resist better judgement and dropped the hammer when the light turned green. I doubt I'll ever see him again. I know...it's wrong...legally dubious, alright flat out illegal, but some people deserve it...like those little ricer punks and people who should know better!

So...still running the factory wheels...nothing wrong with them I suppose...but the guy I bought them from (yes...I wanted the '01 wheels not the '03) had Toyo Proxes on them.

I don't know about anyone else...but I hate this tire.

Definitely want replacements rated for what our trucks can handle (duh)...and preferably ones that don't squeal like a wounded dog when you turn at a stop sign. Ok...I might be hitting the throttle a little too...all tires will do this...but the Proxes seem to be more likely to squeal...

Any replacement suggestions?

Old 10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by X150
Before I get to the post...a little Ford Ranger (mid 90's) pulled up to me and started revving up (sounded like he had put on an aftermarket muffler). I couldn't resist better judgement and dropped the hammer when the light turned green. I doubt I'll ever see him again. I know...it's wrong...legally dubious, alright flat out illegal, but some people deserve it...like those little ricer punks and people who should know better!
LOL... Yesterday I was in a single, but wide U-Turn lane and I was staying far to the right to avoid a big water puddle giving this ricer with his grey primered fart/vacuum machine complete with wing room enough to pull up next to me staying perfectly to my side through the U-Turn... I'm like WTF is this guy doing? It's single file through here! We pull out onto the road and he's reving it up and I punch it, spin for a good 40 feet because of my damp and cold tires and just leave him in the dust even though I was spinning like mad (he didn't even have enough power to spin his tires in the wet, lol.)

I doubt he actually thought he had a chance, he was probably just excited to see a Lightning like I used to be before I got one. Actually, I still get excited when I see one even though I have one now. The guy in the Ranger was probably just excited to see a Lightning and was just funnin' with ya, lol.

Here's a good one for ya... Me, my freind, and his wife where going to Six Flags Great Adventure one day when at the last light before the entrance to the park, a black lightning pulled up next to us. My friend was driving his 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 ext cab and he pulled slightly through the red light because we where busy checking out the Lightning pulling up on us and had to backup. I said race the Lightning even though I knew we wouldn't win but just for the fun of it. The light turned green and the Lightning took off ever so gently grandma style while we took off in reverse! LOL! He never took the truck out of reverse!! When the guy in Lightning got about 40 feet down the road, he punched it, and it must of been modified because everytime it shifted gears the whole rear buckeled hard, lol. That was a funny moment. My friend blamed me for him forgetting to put his truck back into drive because I was distracting him giving the guy in the Lightning the thumbs up, LOL.

Last edited by emig5m; 10-21-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah, you're right, he could have just been messing around...

But some of those ricers...they really think they have a chance...

Speaking of spinning in water...those Toyo Proxes suck in that category too...

Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Tires

Your profile says you drive a SuperCab, so I'm not sure if you really want tire suggestions from the driver of an 02 Lightning. But here it is: I did some research and picked the brain of the local Goodyear Tire folks who help me take care of my SVT.

Long story short: I'm running on my second set of Nitto NT555s.

They hold the road well in the rain (on the interstate too), don't leave tire marks on my father's nice brick paved driveway, are good lookin', and after warming them up in the puddle at the track they don't slip AT ALL when the light turns green. I guess an important note is that my SVT is totally stock, so with more RWHP or torque the drag radials might be what you're looking for.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm running Hankooks on my pretty stock truck and they work well in summer and winter. Last Thursday I was entering the freeway on a tight 180 degree uphill entrance and there was a little Toyota truck right on my azz, so I hammer it and did a major burn out onto the freeway until about sixty mph and then let off the gas. As I was looking in my rear view mirror to see that little basturd come out through the wall of smoke to my surprise out popped a black and white CHP cruiser. So I thought no shlt, where did he come from and the cruiser pulled right up on my azz. So I go the speed limit until the next exit and I hit the turn signal to pull off and the CHP gets on the loud speaker and says "If I catch you doing that again I'm going to pull you over!" and keeps going. I felt like I really dodged a bullet there and decided to leave my truck in the garage and ride my motorcycle to work on Friday. We all do stupid things, but sometimes these trucks just bring out the lead foot in us................

Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Indeed

Dodged a bullet, for sure. Lots of smoke and a burn out up til 60mph is definitely not possible on my NittoZR555s. For that matter, I try not to spin them unless someone in front of me is being a real jerk. Something about the sight of our truck and the sound of squeeling tires gets a person's attention. Preferrable not the HWP.

You said your truck is pretty much stock. What mods have you made. I'm considering making some changes to my truck but I'm not sure where to start. I've been reading threads but still haven't found a good starting point. Any suggestions?

Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by MAT2CH
I'm running Hankooks on my pretty stock truck and they work well in summer and winter. Last Thursday I was entering the freeway on a tight 180 degree uphill entrance and there was a little Toyota truck right on my azz, so I hammer it and did a major burn out onto the freeway until about sixty mph and then let off the gas. As I was looking in my rear view mirror to see that little basturd come out through the wall of smoke to my surprise out popped a black and white CHP cruiser. So I thought no shlt, where did he come from and the cruiser pulled right up on my azz. So I go the speed limit until the next exit and I hit the turn signal to pull off and the CHP gets on the loud speaker and says "If I catch you doing that again I'm going to pull you over!" and keeps going. I felt like I really dodged a bullet there and decided to leave my truck in the garage and ride my motorcycle to work on Friday. We all do stupid things, but sometimes these trucks just bring out the lead foot in us................

Just tell them you are trying to match traffic flow speed before you have to merge, didn't realize the tires were spinning, watching out for traffic and all, you thought maybe the transmission was slipping or smoking.. . good one though, CHP's can be cool sometimes

Old 10-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by FireGuy
Just tell them you are trying to match traffic flow speed before you have to merge, didn't realize the tires were spinning, watching out for traffic and all, you thought maybe the transmission was slipping or smoking.. . good one though, CHP's can be cool sometimes
hahaha i just say "the accelerator was sticking..there must be something wrong with my throttle cable!"

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions?