Lightning

Still in the Shop...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1999, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Still in the Shop...

Just a note for those who care (yea, right) my Lightning is still in the shop where they are trying to solve the mid-range power/boost miss in the engine. They have run every diagnostic they have, with no results. My mechanic told me that the only number that surprised him was the mass air sensor voltage, which was measured at 4.5 to 4.7 volts, which he thought was a bit high compared to other Ford products. Other than that, the only thing the SVT engineers have had to say is, "keep looking, and let us know what you find". That makes me feel very re-assured.........Thanks to the few of you who took the time to respond to the string I opened on this problem a couple of weeks back. When (and if) they solve the problem, I'll let you know.

Old 10-31-1999, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hey Mark, Sal here. Where are you located? Bring your truck to my dealer, and I'll fix her up for ya

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!!
http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 10-31-1999, 08:07 PM
Thumbs up

mswaim
If you dont live close to sal,my 99'
did the same thing, and they finaly
replaced the mass air flow sensor and
it runs great.

Old 10-31-1999, 08:09 PM
Talking

Hi Sal. I'm in Fresno, CA and the dealer is located 65 miles away in Merced, CA There are only two SVT dealers within 250 miles of my location, the one listed above, which is where I bought the truck, the second one is located in Selma, CA. I wish SOMEONE would fix it for me...I'm suffering from a bad case of withdrawls... You know the kind, the feeling you get when it's been awhile since you opened up a really good can of whipass on a Chevy/Dodge owner........Any advice Sal?

Old 10-31-1999, 08:11 PM
You know, the only thing the mechanic found to be a bit unusual was the high voltage present at the mass air meter. Maybe that's where the problem is. Does anyone know what the voltage should be?

Old 10-31-1999, 08:30 PM
Hey Mark, Sal here. In the programming, the maximum MAF voltage is 4.78 volts. If your truck is hitting 4.7 volts according to the tech, it may be maxing the meter. Did you have a MIL light on? If the computer sees a problem for three consecutive drive cylces, it will set the light. BTW, you don't have to bring your truck to an SVT dealer for repairs.

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!!
http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 11-01-1999, 01:29 AM
Cool

Hey Sal I know you keep saying that you dont have to take our trucks to a SVT dealer but I tried to get four dealers that were close to me to work on my truck and they all said they would not work on it and to take it to a SVT dealer. By the way how far are you from bordentown NJ Scott

[This message has been edited by SCOTTODOG (edited 11-01-1999).]

Old 11-01-1999, 01:41 AM
Well, I'm not saying that non-SVT dealers HAVE to work on your truck, just that you don't HAVE to take it to an SVT dealer There is nothing special about working on an SVT vehilce as far as Ford service depts go. But some dealers will decilne working on them if they feel they cannot do so properly, or they think they may not have the proper tools, which is perfectly understandable.

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 11-01-1999, 09:10 AM
Cool

Morning Sal; No, there are no lights on. Just FYI, the truck drives and performs perfectly at almost all speeds, except when you put your foot into it. First gear clicks off very smoothly with the miss developing high in the rpm range of second gear. Back out any at all, and the missing/surging stops. If I accelerate at a moderate pace, I can build rpms to the red line with no hint of the miss. However if I shove my foot into it at any time, it will shift down and begin surging/missing. HELP !!

Old 11-01-1999, 01:51 PM
Mark,...I had the same problem about 6 weeks ago.There seemed to be a lot of bucking and sputtering going on above 3800 rpm. My problem was that I had a bad batch of gas that was contaminated with water. I drained the tank, treated the fuel system and was back at the track that same weekend.Im not saying you have the same problem, but it sounds like what my SVT was doing. Good Luck

------------------
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Superchip
Sportmasters tonneau

Old 11-02-1999, 12:25 AM
PFA
I still get a "lack of power" around 3600-3800 rpms in second gear then it will continue to build power. I had a tech with me and he used a Ford diag. computer(?) and also saw something with the voltage with the mass airflow meter, although I don't recall what it was.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
#0873--1 of 866--
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.58
best MPH to date-102.33

Old 11-02-1999, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the input, PFA. I also provided a test drive for my mechanic who hooked up a lap-top computer and monitored various engine readings throughout the drive. Pretty high-tech stuff...Now, if they can just figure out the miss so I can get back to embarrasing local Chevy owners.........

Quick Reply: Still in the Shop...