F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Lightning (https://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning-50/)
-   -   Chips (https://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning/20841-chips.html)

Yoda 10-03-1999 07:10 PM

Chips

Posted same ? on the svt tech forum, but figured some people with some good info might be able 2 respond here also. I have questions on installing a new chip into my lightning. Does the gas mileage get better or worse after the installation of the chip? Which manufacturer (i know superchips has one) has a "flipchip" which i can toggle between the factory settings @ performance settings? is it hard to install the chip? And one of the more important ?'s is $$ of the chip & where can i purchase the chip at. I live in Phoenix , Az (north valley. I have been following Sean Hyland mtrsprt & their instltn of the chip & mass air meter seems pretty impressive on the dyno. I have been reading past posts from some of the manufacturers in this forum @ i would love for them 2 E-mail me some info so i can make a wise choice - dongen@futureone.com

Also i have noticed LOTS of you fellow Lightning owners have installed the chips & it looks like you are pretty happy with them, but besides the occasional NOS installation (still havent seen any posted 1/4 times on these - would love to) what other mods have u guys installed? any mass air meters? etc....
THX for the info Don (uuhhh I mean YODA)

------------------
Driver of a FF Lightning

99Lightning 10-04-1999 07:44 AM

What is the SVT Tech board? A couple of years ago I had the Cobra and knew just about every site. Now I playing catch-up again.

Superchips_Distributor 10-04-1999 07:14 PM

Dear Yoda,

The Superchip Flip Chip for the new supercharged Lightnings is available from us, and to order one, you can contact us either via email or over the phone, our contact info is below for your convenience.

The Lightning Superchip has the switch that allows you to select which program mode you want to be in. Position one is the unmodified factory program, and then Position 2 is the performance mode. You can run it in the performance mode all the time. The reason it was designed to allow you to have quick access to the very conservative factory program is just in case you have to operate the vehicle in an area where you can't get a good quality premium gasoline, such as if you are traveling, etc.

The gains are exactly 25 more horsepower at the rear wheels, and 38-40 hp at the flywheel, so it's basically taking your new Lightning from its 360 hp stock rating up to 400 hp. The nicest thing about the Superchip to me is the fact that it works *all* the time, not just at WOT (wide-open throttle), and it's the only product of it's kind that works all the time. This gives a very nice improvement in overall driveability, whether you are tearing down a drag strip, or just going for groceries, you will have more power available from 1000 rpm on up, regardless of throttle position. As far as gas mileage, it will depend on how you drive the vehicle, just like before. Most vehicles get a little bit better gas mileage with the Superchip when cruising. You may see a little bit worse gas mileage when you first install it, as most people do, because you will probably be using more throttle than normal just checking out the new power levels, the improved shift characteristics of the automatic transmission, etc. Once the newness of it wears off, then you can really start tracking it accurately, to see just what it does. Generally speaking, as long as you keep your foot out of it, there shouldn't be much change in mileage.

The Superchip is backed with a Lifetime guarantee to the original owner.

We offer a special exclusive F150online discount to all F150online participants, and you are eligible for that discount. Please contact us privately for that discounted price, our contact info is below for your convenience.

As far as making exhaust changes, we have not had anyone make any changes that they have reported back to us so far. I feel that the engine would respond nicely to a set of Jet-Hot coated full-length headers, but I couldn't tell you where to get a set, or if they are even available yet. The factory exhaust system is pretty free-flowing, so I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it just yet, but that's just my opinion, and you may feel differently.

With regards to getting a set of 4-valve heads, you're talking a *major* custom project, at a cost of astro-bucks, even though they exist for the DOHC 5.4 in the 99 & up Lincoln Navigator. Could it be done? Sure, you can do anything with enough money and determination. I guess the best answer is it just depends on how badly you have to have the power that converting cylinder heads could provide, assuming you can get the blower to fit, and all the other issues associated with this type of project.

This supercharged engine is very sensitive to atmospheric changes, temp,humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, etc., so I would concentrate on things like the Superchip, and I'm sure that soon we will also see a cold air intake system of some kind for this vehicle brought to market, which, if done right, will be very effective in adding some more power.

Then the ignition system, a good set of Magnecor wires and a set of Bosch Platinum +4's will help a bit too. I'm just trying to give you some things that you can do now, while the aftermarket gets geared up with other things for this vehicle, which is going to be awhile as it always is in these very low production specialty vehicles. You may well have already thought of all that yourself.

Best of luck with your new Lightning, and please feel free to give us a shout!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

WhiteLite99 10-04-1999 11:01 PM

99 Lightning,

Use the following link to get to the SVT forum:
http://www.inlink.com/~jsmartin/SVT/...ng/forum3.html

-Dominoe

------------------
'99.5 "White Lightning", CD Changer, tow, tonneau, GTS Omni-Guard, Vent Visors, GTS headlight covers, tint, Steel Horse bed-rug, Snug Lid on order.

'94 Pontiac 25th Anniversary Trans Am GT Convertible

PFA 10-05-1999 03:54 AM

Hey Mike,
Just a question about the Bosch +4's, do you have a part number? I talked to Bosch a couple of months ago and they didn't have anything yet.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.68

F150SVT 10-05-1999 08:37 AM

Just a quick comment on the Bosch +4 sparkplugs.

Over on the SHOtimes-L list, there has been a lenghty discussion regarding using the Bosch vs. the stock Autolite plugs in the SHO. Both are platinum plated and advertised as high performance plugs.

However, the consensus of opinion of those who have tried both is that the stock Autolite's are much superior to the Bosch's. This is, of course, SHO-specific experience so not certain it would apply to the Lightning, but it's something to be aware of at any length.

Mike Philpott
'99.5 Black Lightning
'90 Black SHO

Yoda 10-05-1999 09:41 AM

Still looking for some prices that people have paid for the chips they have purchased, and then from what manufacturer!?!

PFA 10-05-1999 01:47 PM

Hey Yoda,
Give Mike a call aboout his discount price. He doesn't like to discuss prices online, but rather personal in e-mail or phone.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.68

RA6870 01-23-2002 09:43 PM

:)

Don's Bolt 01-23-2002 09:56 PM

Yoda
I got my Superchip from JDM, I have been very happt with the chip and all his products. My gas millage improved about 2mpg, and just the chip lowered my E/T 5 tenths of a second.

here is Jim's web page, it has all his products and prices on it.

http://www.jdmengineeringinc.com/

If you decide to go with them tell them Don C sent you.

ASVTFordBoy 01-23-2002 10:04 PM

I hope yoda isn't still looking for a chip more than 2 years later.

:D

TampaSVT 01-23-2002 10:05 PM

Uh, Don. I'm willing to bet you pink slips he's already got one, or something. (Pssst... look at the date)

Lightning Boy 01-23-2002 10:23 PM

Why are these old posts being brought back from the dead?

LIGHTNINROD 01-24-2002 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Lightning Boy
Why are these old posts being brought back from the dead?
What he said..........

Dan

jarmstro 01-24-2002 08:26 AM

Originally posted by RA6870
:)
Why did you bring this back-up? Are you bored?