Lightning

Turbo friendly cams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo friendly cams?

With turbo's in the future and a good possibility I will end up with one on my truck I am curious as to what is considered good turbo cams?

I know general rule is that stock cams work good with Turbo's, but what specs or info defines a good turbo cam?

Old 09-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Casey
You know what defines a good turbo cam....its one that controls exhaust back pressure. If you have a lot of measured exhaust back pressure with your turbo system then you need a cam that will keep it in the exhaust system and not let it bleed thru to your intake system. If your measured exhaust back pressure is in good shape and what I mean by that is that it is no more that 1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1 with your intake pressure....then you can basically cam the crap out of it.

Real turbo race cars that are making big power generally run a cam that is very close to what you would see in an N/A application, but there back pressure usually isn't much more than there intake pressure.

Controling the pressures is what its all about.
Dale

Old 09-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Bad as L
Casey
You know what defines a good turbo cam....its one that controls exhaust back pressure. If you have a lot of measured exhaust back pressure with your turbo system then you need a cam that will keep it in the exhaust system and not let it bleed thru to your intake system. If your measured exhaust back pressure is in good shape and what I mean by that is that it is no more that 1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1 with your intake pressure....then you can basically cam the crap out of it.

Real turbo race cars that are making big power generally run a cam that is very close to what you would see in an N/A application, but there back pressure usually isn't much more than there intake pressure.

Controling the pressures is what its all about.
Dale
Hum; so how do I find out what cams do what?

I really like Comp Cams; would a XE278AH work good for my current blower setup and pass right on to a Turbo setup?

Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 AM
I like that cam .....I like it a lot and yes I would try it with a turbo. You would have to keep and eye towards trying to keep the back pressure out of the system...things like...the biggest down pipe you can fit and probably at least a GTSH-76 turbo at a minimum.

Dale

Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Casey02L
With turbo's in the future and a good possibility I will end up with one on my truck I am curious as to what is considered good turbo cams?

I know general rule is that stock cams work good with Turbo's, but what specs or info defines a good turbo cam?
i've reached this some and called a few places, one vendor that sells alot of the 2v cams recommended one of his cams, the specs were something along the line of 132 intake lobe 128 exhaust i believe....he told me to make sure intake was larger than exhaust, this differs in N/A cars where the intake is larger and exhaust is smaller....i also believe that almost all the cams made for our trucks run the same size lobe on both intake and exhaust.....

Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Bad as L
I like that cam .....I like it a lot and yes I would try it with a turbo. You would have to keep and eye towards trying to keep the back pressure out of the system...things like...the biggest down pipe you can fit and probably at least a GTSH-76 turbo at a minimum.

Dale
A local eaton powered truck that was your usual 400/500 truck; actually just short of those figures picked up 60HP/20TQ with just those cams/springs. Now is making 459/520 SAE with just bolton's, full exhaust, 4 lower, 1 upper, and a RWTD dyno tune. And that was done in the very middle of the summer heat so it will probably do a little better come the winter.

I think I'm gonna give them a try. Crower just try's to use wayyy to much lift for my liking.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:07 AM
My thoughts on the Crower's exactly....I ran the 278 Comp's in my truck, advanced the intake lobe to 107 and I had solids so that trimmed about 3 to 4 degrees of timing out of it and about .015 lift, so net lift was about .530. Cranking compression was 175 lbs. I didn't get to run'em long but I did like them.

Dale

PS...I will run the biggest set of .425 lift Comps in my 4V motor, probably set the L/C at about 116 degrees but not sure exactly were the intake lobe will be placed yet.

Last edited by Bad as L; 09-14-2005 at 03:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo friendly cams?