Lightning

turning back odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by easterisland
I have personnally seen a chip, it was a superchips chip which made the dash cluster display dashed lines across the display. The mileage was not recorded. So someone has the ability to do thisif they desire. I'm not sure who but it is being done.

w/o the chip the car would rack up the miles, with the chip no miles are added.
That's different, that's not ALTERING the odometer, that's shutting it off. I am well aware that a certain vendor was having his chip company do that for him, and then sending out tunes with that feature under the cuff (it's VERY illegal).

You can't alter the odometer with a tune. It's impossible. There is nothing in the PCM that can alter the mileage programmed in the cluster.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
That's what they did when they replaced my cluster -- only they forgot the part about matching the existing mileage and reset mine to zero.
Years ago, there was no mileage correction. We got a zeroed cluster, and you affixed an official mileage adjustment sticker to the door jamb, which you wrote the current mileage at the time of cluster change on.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LightningTuner
That's different, that's not ALTERING the odometer, that's shutting it off. I am well aware that a certain vendor was having his chip company do that for him, and then sending out tunes with that feature under the cuff (it's VERY illegal).

Good luck anyone who buys a used Lightning

Old 03-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by easterisland

Good luck anyone who buys a used Lightning
You already needed it.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 PM
i know this guy Vinnie in brooklyn that can help you out.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:24 PM
From what I've seen, L's are kept in great shape, frequently as low mileage second or third cars (like myself). It's a good bet the L someone buys has been well taken care of. I have been very surprised at the number of '99 - '01, 10 - 20M L's listed, but now I'm sure they are for real. Unfortunately, most for sale seem to end up in the hands of greedy dealers.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 PM
mines an 01 with 26k but like it was said most are not driven every day.. but awwww when you do its like xmas all over again....

Dale

Old 04-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Not too go against Sal but I know of quiet a few Ford cars that have had the milage rolled back, Not by Ford if you know what I mean.
I don't know how they did it but you just told the guy what mileage you wanted and leave him the car for the whole day and when all done right what you wanted.
I even talked to my bro who is a Mech (unfortunately for Chevy -his loss) he said it can be done it is just a matter of all the operating systems in the cars (most have multiple computers) that each hold a piece of info and all must be reprogrammed in a certain way--or just change the cluster like Sal said but it will still hold the true milage elsewhere.

I don't have to worry about this I want someone to invent a way to reclaim the rubber from a burn out and put it back on my tires now that would be worth it...lol

Slick

Old 09-13-2005, 06:09 PM
It is fully possible to make the odometer read out less mileage then there really is. Its a bit risky though, all you need to do is disconnect the wiring from the speedsensor. With that done, The odometer does not get a recording of how many miles are being driven, plus, your speedometer doesn't work.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM
buck fidy and you get a switch
Switch off, NO ODOMETER
Switch on, YES ODOMETER
My cousin has it done to all his new Fords
He does however get a check engine light when switched off,
and the Speedo does not work when the Odometer is turned off

But as said there are many low mile L's around, and most ARE legit
Schitt my 02 has @ 17K and the motor and lots more have less than 2K on it.
BUT WHEN I DRIVE IT, I FRIGGING DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT
and thats daily unless it's wet or snow. I simply use the DD to rack the miles up on. My 03 Mitsi-whateverthe****theycallit has @ 40K on it already....

Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Anyone with a NGS scan tool and the proper (very hard to attain) software card can easily manipulate the odometer. I've personally seen it done on a Saleen Mustang.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by easterisland
I have personnally seen a chip, it was a superchips chip which made the dash cluster display dashed lines across the display. The mileage was not recorded. So someone has the ability to do thisif they desire. I'm not sure who but it is being done.

w/o the chip the car would rack up the miles, with the chip no miles are added.

Quick Reply: turning back odometer?