Lightning

Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amsoil?

I use Mobil 1 in my truck, but there is now an Amsoil dealer 1/2 mile from me. He sells the 7500 and 25000 mile oils and I've heard Amsoil is good oil. Has anyone ever used Amsoil? If so, what were your results? I know that BMW's run 15000 miles before an oil change, but 25000 seems excessive. Is it possible? Thanks for any input you can give.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 PM
I am an Amsoil dealer. Have been for years.
You can run that stuff indefinitley if you use there 1 micron bypass oil filter and have your oil sample tested.

Amsoil is very good oil and it was the first of its kind!

Is it the best? I don't think so.

Which one is best? I don't know.

IMHO All the top brands are probably just as good. I don't want to make room for the bypass filter set up and there is no way I am going very long between oil changes.

I think it is a good idea to stick with one brand of oil to avoid chemical irritaion of seals etc.

Get the cheapest name brand full synthetic available in your area and change it as often as you want. Use a name brand filter with each change.

Feel good about it and be Happy

Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Ok, so EZGZ is an Amsoil dealer and gave an opinion that I appreciate. Is there anyone else that has tried Amsoil at all and isn't a product dealer? Anyone else?

Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by EZGZ

Is it the best? I don't think so.

Which one is best? I don't know.

IMHO All the top brands are probably just as good.

I think it is a good idea to stick with one brand of oil to avoid chemical irritaion of seals etc.

Get the cheapest name brand full synthetic available in your area and change it as often as you want. Use a name brand filter with each change.

Feel good about it and be Happy
Hey brother. Yes, I too am an Amsoil dealer. I used it enough, I decided to become a dealer to get it for less.

Anyway, what about all of the tests, such as the four ball wear test, flash point, evaporation etc? They actually test their oils against Mobil One, Castrol, and some other synthetics, along with some petroleum. Anyway, generally the Amsoil smokes the competition, except for Mobil One, which usually comes in second.

I agree any synthetic is better than any petroleum, and change intervals can be extended. I just wouldn't go crazy on the extended drain interval.

Mixing brands does not irritate seals. If seals leak, it's either from a defective seal, or when petroleum oil has been run a long time, and has built up some crud in the seal helping a worn out seal continue to not leak. Then, when synthetic oil goes in and flushes out that seal, it leaks.

Having said the above, my last F-150 I just sold with 122k miles on the clock, always ran the series 2000 0-30w and it never burned oil, smoked and the valve covers and heads had zero sludge anywhere. I bought that truck with 33k miles, and the previous owner ran different brand synthetic oil than I did, and before that he ran petroleum. No leaky seals, no problem.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks Blown347Hatch. My truck only has 4k miles on it. I'll give it a shot and see how it runs with it. The only downside I've seen so far is the price.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Look closer at the 4 ball wear test. Most of the time they are camparing Amsoil to a lesser grade or different weight. I don't think it is fare.

I like Amsoil and will continue to use some of there products. I just don't get on a soap box like I used to cause I think the major brands have come up to there level.

No Sane person is going to tell you Amsoil is bad. I doubt they would say it caused problems.

If you like it, can afford it, and its available, use it!
I wish I had people beating a path to my door to buy the stuff

"PEACE"

Quick Reply: Amsoil?