Lightning

Alternator Issues - Dealer can't seem to help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Issues - Dealer can't seem to help

Long story short my alternator went bad on me. Since I'm not mechanically inclined I took it to the Ford dealer and left it there for them to fix. Picked it back up the next day and seemingly all was good. However, about 4-5 days later I start hearing this annoying chirping so I took it back and it turned out to be the alternator belt. Apparently they ordered the wrong alternator and the belt wasn't lining up right. So another alternator comes in and they put it on and the service guys tells me what had happened and that the new one is fine and I MAY hear some chirping when the truck is cold. I hear it all the time though.

So I need advice. I've already paid for the parts and the job so I don't want to take it somewhere else. I get the feeling they really don't know what to do to fix it and I've already been there 5 times to get this fixed.

Ideas? Please help

Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I changed my alternator out last year due to it going out on me. Afterwards I would hear that annoying belt chirping from idle to 45 mph.

Turned out to be that I didn't have the new alternator completely flat (tilted back a little), so it made the belt make all that noise. I knew the belt wasn't bad and the only thing that had changed was the alternator.

I would say it's possible that the same thing happened with yours.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Take your finger, put a dab of grease on it, put a dab on both sides of the belt and start your engine and see if noise goes away. may take a few mins. if not you may need a new idler pulley or just a new belt.??

Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
sounds like an idler pulley bearing is on it's way out, but then again I'm not with the vehicle

Quick Reply: Alternator Issues - Dealer can't seem to help