F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Lightning Concept (https://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning-concept-85/)
-   -   Pickuptruck.com article on Lightning concept [merged] (https://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning-concept/103378-pickuptruck-com-article-lightning-concept-merged.html)

MRBBQMAN 01-14-2003 10:34 PM

interview w/SVT concerning the concept

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...ightning1.html

Fast Gator 01-14-2003 10:55 PM

a good read but the one thing that stands out, is the price approaching 50K:eek:
Maybe they will have 10 yr financing then

Spanky99L 01-14-2003 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Fast Gator
a good read but the one thing that stands out, is the price approaching 50K:eek:
Maybe they will have 10 yr financing then

thats prob just there to see what dodge does with the POS viper truck. if dodge keeps the price there so will SVT

BlueFlareside 01-15-2003 07:27 AM

Pickuptruck.com article on Lightning concept

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...ightning1.html

Silver_2000 01-15-2003 11:53 AM

Great article - Answers MANY of the current questions...

Doug

BlueFlareside 01-15-2003 12:01 PM

Sorry, I didn't see a post about this article already!

Fast Gator 01-15-2003 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Spanky99L
thats prob just there to see what dodge does with the POS viper truck. if dodge keeps the price there so will SVT
we can only hope that the reasoning, I can see 40K, but if it goes over that ...lets say a built short block, ported heads and a new blower are in my future. And a bottle of Nazzzzzz:D

VINNIE 01-16-2003 07:23 PM

Excellent info. I highly recommend the read. 2 thumbs up.

Intel486 01-16-2003 08:44 PM

Seriously, if this truck costs $50k. How many people will be buying it?

I don't think the'll sell all 5000 they make in a year at that price.

StruckByTheBolt 01-17-2003 04:40 AM

If the interior is a high quality and i mean waaaay higher quality than it is today than i can see myself buying one along w/being able to kick the Dodge's ass......looking at the next gen M3 (V-8) and the new L will be a big factor as to what my next vehicle will be....

BlackLight 01-19-2003 06:48 PM

50k US is too much

Originally posted by Intel486
Seriously, if this truck costs $50k. How many people will be buying it?

I don't think the'll sell all 5000 they make in a year at that price.

The whole thing with SVT was that you get the performance of an aftermarket supercharger, while retaining the factory warranty. Ford could keep the price down by swapping/recombining already existing components from other vehicles.

If it becomes a big-buck supercar, then you compete with other big-buck supercars. And the 5000 lbs will make you lose...

01BlackL 01-23-2003 07:02 PM

While it could very well be a $50k+ truck, I don't think it will be.

(The following is all guesses by me, not something I claim is fact)

Reason I say this is, probably the most expensive part of this changeover that actually comes from Lightning's budget is the engine and transmission changes. More the engine then the transmission, unless they end up developing a new auto tranny for the Lightning or something, rather then use the 6-speed like the concept has. The engine is a new design, but its mainly being developed for the GT40, and (I think) will also will be offered through Ford Racing as an aftermarket racing engine. The GT40's budget I am guessing, has absorbed most of the engine development cost already, and since its based on the mod engine design wasn't an entirely new design which should also make it cheaper overall to produce with just some retooling etc.

The powercooler function, if it makes it to production might be a decent cost initially since this is a totally new introduction of the technology. But its also one they sounded as if they might try to move across more platforms then just the Lightning as well, which could help spread the cost some. Also this idea has been around for 10 years, so its possible that SVT has already worked this out in the past.

The IRS is already being used in the Expedition, and should only need some performance tweaking if put on the Lightning, and from my understanding the new chassis allows this to happen whereas the old one would have been a refab situation. The front suspension, rims, and tires are probably some minimal cost items as well and maybe some re-used parts.

The brakes are probably going to be something that is shared by GT40 also I am guessing, or just upgrades to what we already have (which isn't that bad).

The interior/exterior is mainly just changing the new body style some, its not a new Lightning only body, just a tweaked 04 F-150 body.

I know your probably thinking, "If the GT40 engine is in the Lightning, and it costs $110k+, how can the Lightning be less then $50k?" Well what you have to remember is the GT40 is a totally new design, new chassis, new engine, and so forth whereas the Lightning is a tuned version of an existing platform.

Basically the biggest change (other then bodystyle) is the engine and IRS options, both of which will be taken from existing platforms, which should allow the cost to stay in the $40k range I believe.

Of course I could be way off...

Koochie Krook 02-11-2003 11:14 PM

Rumor Mill

I heard a rumor that SVT will try to sell them at and above $45K, but I think it will go down to 39 to 41K, by the end of the production year. I am saying my money as we speak.

SMOKINTRUCK#1 03-30-2003 11:18 AM

It's hard to tell from a pic on the actual real-deal ! but, one thing for sure I hope they don't let dodge push them off the mountain :bows: I like most of the truck but, some things are fuggly as far as the paddle system for the tranny I've driven Beamers with that tranny when they are working good they are quick shifting boxes probably alot quicker then anyone can manual shift and looze boost while doing it. I think I'll sit back and wait awhile for good things to come of this monster ! :lurk: :beers:

D-RockLightning 04-19-2003 09:05 PM

I really, really...

wanna know what the end result of the tranny question will be... for both personal reasons and just out of curiosity. As far as the price... I hope it stays somewhere in the range of 35 - 40k+ but I know that's wishful thinking! Oh well... we'll see.

Drew :rocker: