F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   King Ranch (https://www.f150online.com/forums/king-ranch-79/)
-   -   King rancH Limo! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/king-ranch/64263-king-ranch-limo.html)

sarman 01-26-2002 11:12 PM

King rancH Limo!

What do you think this would cost me to do?:D

sorry this is a link, I can't fiure out how to put an actual pix into a post.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...=8714&anum=919

Rockpick 01-26-2002 11:24 PM

That a real picture? At first glance it looks real but, I looked at it pretty close...

There's no door seam on the middle set of doors... Looks like the photo has been altered...

But DAMN!, if that was real... :)

sarman 01-26-2002 11:27 PM

I was walking by the front door (beveled glass) and noticed it. So I got out the camera and took the picture from inside the house.

Rockpick 01-26-2002 11:31 PM

Still though...

that would be awesome! I've seen stretch navigators and stretch expys....

what a concept...a stretch KR. You need to get someone to look into this...talk about incredible!

40-Dan 01-26-2002 11:34 PM

Heck of an idea, but you don't really have to look too close to tell it's a fake.

Try adding a door seam, taking out the third palm tree and fixing the skew in the brick pavers.

sarman 01-26-2002 11:43 PM

PEOPLE!!! I asked how much it would cost? so obvoiusly it is not real. It is an OPTICAL ILLUSION that got me thinking how much it would cost me to actually do this. I am not trying to pull the "wool" over anyones eyes just thought you would like to see a dream of mine.

DAVEMAN 01-27-2002 09:15 AM

Hey Sarman,

I think it would cost a fortune for the first couple you did and then the cost would come down. I'd guess it could cost as much as $100,000 to get started with tooling, labor and parts. The prototype version would probably take several months to complete with two or three guys working full time. You'd need a longer frame, driveshaft, brake lines, wiring, cables and the list goes on. Also, you'd need a whole new set of rear seats and I'm sure that'd be several thousand alone, plus custom carpet, head liner and list just goes on and on again.

I would think you'd need a 1/2 million to pull that thing off correctly and to get it approved by the Department of Transportaion for safety. What about crash testing, roll over testing, carrying capacity?

I think it's a neat idea but IMO, someone needs a hell of alot of money to do that job right, the investment might be huge but the return could be monumental too.

DaveMan
:D

pkagel 01-27-2002 11:19 AM

i think a million is way out there guys, living in the peoples republic of kalifornia i see stretched excursions all the time and the limo trucks have been popular in texas for years. if i'm not mistaken there is a shop in newport beach or hunington beach kalifornia that streches all sorts of weird vehicles into limos (saw a couple of new beetles) so it really should cost less than 50k to do. better not let sarah see that truck though as she will want one of those also, LOL, just kiddin' ya sis.:D

Rockpick 01-27-2002 11:55 AM

I agree with pk...

I wouldn't expect it to cost over $50-$75K logically. Mega-expensive but, DAMN, it'd be nice. :)

Off to condition my seats... Wish me luck. :)

Skagel 01-27-2002 01:34 PM

man that is awsome....i want one....no really...if that truck existed i'd have to find somebody to marry me just so i could ride in it.

DAVEMAN 01-27-2002 02:46 PM

Guys/Gals,

Begin of Rant, step onto soap box:

I guess you guys are talking about making just one. Hell, the lighted running boards being made longer could cost $100,000 to get new tooling made.

Okay, maybe if you are going to make just one or you're not trying to make it look original then it will cost a hell of a lot less. If you want to keep the exact factoty look and you want to make a boat load of them then it's not practical to use a chop shop or a custom frame mod shop.

Of course we're all guessing but I work in industrial vehicle manufacturing and it cost hunderds of thousands of dollars to tool up to make plastic parts, not to mention all the special things needed to stretch a KR into a multi-door limo.

I think the question to me is how many trucks are we talking about and to what extent are we discussing keeping the exact factory look? If we are talking just a few and no special parts, tooling, setups, fixtures, gauges or the like are required then okay it can be done for less than $100,000 and maybe as low as $50,000 but not much less than that.

If you have three guys working 8 hour days for two months and you figure a rate of say $30/hr which is cheap, then you're talking over $28,000 in labor alone. If you estimate that the labor is half and the materials is half then you're up to almost $60,000. Don't forget, it's probably not been crash tested, rollover tested and nothing done to determine if the brakes are adequate to stop it and you probably need and extra 100-200 extra horsepower to get that pig to accelerate normally.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be a cool looking vehicle but we all must know that the stretched limos we normally see on the road carrying folks to special events aren't just slapped together in a shop in someones back yard, it's done professionally using design Engineers with CAD drawings and models and produced using tooling and fixtures to maintain consistent quality.

End of Rant, step down off of soap box;) :

DaveMan
:D

LINYScrew 01-27-2002 03:07 PM

What a Limo!

What a promo tool it would be for "the" Ranch. Imagine the King Ranch sending it out to pick up VIP's, etc. I think it would be great if they had one. While their at it they can give me one too. At no cost to me I might add. I would test it out for them at no charge.

Skagel 01-27-2002 05:44 PM

not sure on the cost of that baby, but i do know it cost ford $750,000 to make the ford tonka....and they only made 1....i tell ya i retain the most obscure facts...

Dennis 01-27-2002 08:07 PM

I've seen how the stretch limos are made and there is no tooling involved. Everything is built by hand at the shop and depending on the base vehicle and what you want done to it, you won't be spending anywhere near $100k (plus the cost of the vehicle) unless you want it armor plated.

pkagel 01-28-2002 09:56 AM

reckon you'd need the diesel if you were to want armor plating. you know what might look better than 6 full doors is to have 4 doors and the back doors open backwards like the supercab but bigger.:D