King Ranch

'06 Power Folding Mirrors Stop Working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace switch

I see there is no result in this thread, so I thought I would add mine.I checked the broken wire theory, the fuse etc...but the jumping of the pins made the mirrors fold, so a new switch was installed and works perfect.Seems if someone comes on here looking for help, the least they could do is post the results of other peoples efforts to help.Maybe its just me....Thanks for helping to the guy who suggests pin jumping.The pins mentioned were not what I had, but the result were a success anyway! Cheers...

Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM
oh,and thanks to the guy who offered the replace switch fix...

Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Grady,

Just saw your message.

2 parts to the power fold option, The switch, and the power fold module ( when done via the factory ).

I jsut got done taking my mirror switch out of my '06 Lariat, and from what I can tell ( correct me if I am wrong ) the power fold option is enabled when the switch is in the center ( locked ) position, and you press forward on the switch ( same switch movement if you were moving a mirror up ).

My switch takes power on pin #1 to pin #4, which pin #4 goes to the power fold module.

test #1 : Use a meter and test for continuity when you press up on the switch, between pin #1 and pin #4. These are both on the side of the locking tab, both outside pins. If you have an extra hand it will be easier, then trying to hold the probes, and press the switch the correct direction, but it can be done solo ( I got mine to test after some playing with holding the probes in one hand, and the switch with my ring finger and piny on the same hand )

If this tests good, time to test the power fold module.

Get some think wire that will fit in the connector ( truck's harness ) and jumper pin #1 to pin #4. My connector looked like 2 rows of 5 pins, but the outside pin slots were empty on the truck's harness, and no pins in the mirror switch.

If you get a good momentary power trigger between pin #1 and pin#4, the power fold should happen. if not, it would be time to dig into the power fold module, which is towards the bottom of the driver's side C-pillar, looks just above the seat belt retractor.

Hope this helps, let us know what happens.

BTW : my mirror switch has a part number on it of 5L3T-17B676-AA3, but when I searched by PN, I got nothing on the trademotion site I was using.

When I trolled the catalog, there is only 1 mirror switch for all new body MY '04 - '07

2006 - Ford - F150
Mechanical catalog -> Electrical -> body electrical -> mirrors -> mirror switch ( and it is 28.30 MSRP, online was 20.21 at the site I checked )
I have the same problem with my 07 King Ranch. The mirrors aren't folding, but all other functions work normally. I checked fuse #4, which the book said that is the power fold fuse, and it is fine. I swapped it with another to make sure and it is fine. I hear a one click everytime I pull the mirror switch down, (towards the rear), and it will keep clicking once each time so long as I pull the switch back over and over. After about 6-7 clicks, then it won't click anymore. The click sounds like it is coming from under the plastic that hides the seat belt retractor. Is that what you mean by "C pillar"??? Anyway, I guess I need to pop off that plastic piece and see what I can find in there. It seems like a weird place to put a module for the mirror though. I can't find anything in the parts diagram online. This "module" isn't listed under the mirror section or any other section that I can find. So I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.

I finally found the part number for the module/relay and it is priced at $100 at Ford. Even the discount sites are $72. That is outrageous.

Last edited by Pcilliterate; 12-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you test the switch for continuity ?
- I did not see any note of it, but that could be lack of coffee.

The C-pillar is the rear support for the cab roof, in the rear corners. If you have a SuperCrew, it is the pillar that the rear seat belt is installed in, SCab same thing ( rear seat ) for the std cab, it is what the front seat belt is in.

I do not have power fold mirrors, so I am taking this from the part locate grid from the EVTM.

Once you test the switch itself, just the jumper to momentarily jumper the 2 pins noted above. This removes the switch from the process.

If nothing tests good to this point, test the individual mirrors themselves.

Pull the door panel, and remove the connector for the mirror.

The Power fold is shown as Violet w/ Light Green stripe wire & Violet w/ Yellow stripe wire.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the input SScully. I feel so stupid after this latest thing. I've only had this truck for about a week and remembered seeing that it had power folding mirrrors on the original Ford label in the glove box, and after pushing/pulling the switch, thought I had a problem. After pulling fuses, etc. and making sure they were right, and then pulling the switch and testing it, I was getting ready to tear out the back seat and start pulling everything to get to that $100 relay. Just before I started to pull the back seat, I ran into a buddy that I mentioned this whole thing to and he glanced at my mirrors and told me they weren't power folding.

WTF?????? Huh??? I got out the Ford original window label outta the glove box, and showed him where it said, "power folding/heated/mirrors.....". And then he said something that made perfect sense, but was just outta reach to me all this time. He said, "well, someone musta changed the mirrors to these tow mirrors you have." HUH????

I guess I was just assuming all along that these mirrors that I have were the original mirrors that the label was indicating, and I had no idea that someone pulled these off to put on the "tow" mirrors that aren't power folding. Do they even make power folding tow mirrors for a 07? Mine are large tow mirrors, with the small blindspot glass below. They manually telescope out and they do fold in to the truck, if you get out and do it manually of course.

Mine look just like this, except mine are painted to match: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-F15...sories&vxp=mtr

I had no idea that mine had been changed. I guess I can give up now, if mine really aren't power folding. What I don't get though, is why in the world would Ford make little tiny mirrors that power fold, but the huge ones that stick off the side of the truck 2 feet, don't???? Isn't that backwards?

Well, I feel stupid, but am glad that I have one less problem to deal with. On a side note, I was trying to get confirmation that mine were not power folding due to everyone saying that they didn't make em, when I ran across this ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F150-King-Ra...item2eb872b2b5

These look like the same mirrors I have on my truck, but in the ad it says "power folding". So if these exist, are mine power folding and not working right?? Or is this guy not aware of what he has?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That would be it, the trailer tow mirrors are not power fold.

Not too sure what that bottom eBay auction is, that is a new one to me if they are power fold. The P/N they show does not pull up in the trademotion system.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Well, at least I don't have to buy a $100 relay. I guess there is a silver lining there afterall. I guess there is a lesson there as well. Start with the simplest stuff first. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

On that ebay auction, I guess I'm not the only person that doesn't know his F150 mirrors.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I am having a similar problem, except the mirrors start to fold then stop. With the switch in the center position, I slide the **** back and both sides of mirrors make a noise and start to fold then stop - like pivot is stuck. pushing the **** back a second time returns the mirrors to original position.

The main issue is they seem stuck and doesn't barely move. I also hear the clicking in rear controller. after repeated attempts the system stops working for several minutes. any ideas?

Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Hey guys. I have the solution to this problem. I have an 2007 F-150 King Ranch. I bought the truck used, and the power folding windows have not worked since I've owned it. I am selling the truck now, and plan

to get all the systems up and running to maximize the value of the vehicle. I paid $38 to enlist the help of an online Ford mechanic on justanswer.com. He helped me trace the problem to the power folding mirror module. It's an electrical module that sits behind the driver's side C pillar (back left corner of cab). The module controls only the power folding mirrors. Here is a link to that thread: http://my.justanswer.com/question/in...%7Cln=viewr_bu
I had to remove the top portion of the rear seat in order to access the module. I found a good youtube video that explained how to do that. Here's the link to that video:
Once I had access to the module, I noticed that it had been water-damaged. Water had corroded the terminals, and the internal motherboard. Apparently my rear window was leaking. I bought a new module (part # 8C3Z-14N089-A), installed it, and the mirrors work great now.
Anyway, I've been struggling with this problem for a long time and only found unfinished threads that were of little value. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM
having this same issue:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...ml#post5146383

I noticed that part number you posted and did some searching...it looks like that part number is for the relay itself? Do you know the part number for the module?

Or is what you are holding in between your index finger and thumb in the picture under your video the harness attached to the truck, and the other part in your hand the module (which just "looks" like a relay).

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM
How high up on the pillar was the module located? Im surprised you didnt get the issue where the dome lights and radio stay on after you've turned the truck off and opened the doors like many of us have from corroded wires in that area.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:29 AM
Yes, it is the same part. Some sites refer to it as a module and some say it's a relay. But there is only one part -- part # 8C3Z-14N089-A.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by dittothat
How high up on the pillar was the module located? Im surprised you didnt get the issue where the dome lights and radio stay on after you've turned the truck off and opened the doors like many of us have from corroded wires in that area.
It was about 2 feet above the floor, on the inner wall of the cab, right in the rear corner of the drivers side.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Sharky146
It was about 2 feet above the floor, on the inner wall of the cab, right in the rear corner of the drivers side.
Sharky, did they start to fold before and stop, or just nothing happened period? I hear the motor start to move mirror but it's like it is seized. Wondering if your fix will work for me. Both mirrors are the same.
Nathan

Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by nbarnard
Sharky, did they start to fold before and stop, or just nothing happened period? I hear the motor start to move mirror but it's like it is seized. Wondering if your fix will work for me. Both mirrors are the same.
Nathan
Nathan, My mirrors did not make any noise or partially fold. They were completely dead. I realize now that there was no electricity going to them. It sounds like you have a different problem. Maybe mechanical? However, it might be possible that a damaged module is sending less power than required to move your mirrors. In theory, that could cause your mirrors to only partially operate. Or...you have TWO bad mirrors. That seems less likely, but certainly more expensive to fix. If I were you, I'd replace the module and see what happens.

Quick Reply: '06 Power Folding Mirrors Stop Working?