King Ranch

Interested in King Ranch Leather Care? You Have Come to the Right Place! CLICK HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sting
Thanks Lenticular! I started freaking out after reading all of this about the right and wrong products and methods for taking care of this leather. I was starting to wish I went for the Lariat with leather...but...not now!
If it makes you feel any better I actually had a Lariat for a short while when the new model F150 came out a couple of years ago, and before the KR was available in the new model.
I actually found the light colored leather in that got more dirty than the Castano.

Having said all that you do have to be a little more circumspect in day to day use with the Castano....I wouldn't let kids clamber in and out with ice cream etc !!!
Just a case of being sensible !

Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Oil stain on KR leather

Hi ya'll
I found this forum from a google search.
This is a great site for ford truck owners.....thanks!

I can see the KR leather topics been beaten to death.
I've read through the leather care section for any ideas, not finding any relating to oil stains, so here's my problem.
Last week my son set a pizza box on the passenger seat...now there is a grease stain on it. His funeral was friday....( JK )

Anyway...I tried dish soap, leather cleaners, absorbtion with a bag....nothing!
Are there any other ideas out there?
Someone told me to oil all the leather to change the color darker.....don't want to do that....
Any ideas would be appreciated....thanks again.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 PM
I use this http://www.montanaleather.com/lcareblackrock.htm It is what I use on my saddles and one day I decieded to try it out on my truck. Holy Crap oh wow did that look good. I may even get a few pictures.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Another question abot seats

I have purchased a 06 f250 king ranch from my uncle and he didnt do any care to these seats . The fronts are pretty faded not really stained just faded the rears are fine. Does anyone have any suggestions how to restore them? I did buy the KR condtioner and I will follow the directions but maybe somebody out there has a better idea.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by chrisspy
I have purchased a 06 f250 king ranch from my uncle and he didnt do any care to these seats . The fronts are pretty faded not really stained just faded the rears are fine. Does anyone have any suggestions how to restore them? I did buy the KR condtioner and I will follow the directions but maybe somebody out there has a better idea.

Thanks
No...You have to use the KR Conditioner first, and probably several times to feed the leather.
Don't overdo it though.
A small amount applied several times a few days apart and you should see a difference.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I had the KR 150 for about 18 months. I used the KR conditioner.
Thought the seats looked good till looked at a new one while getting
the 250. It really showed how much they have faded. And this
was a garaged truck. Wonder how the 250 KR leather will hold up.
Know that is part of character of this leather but just surprised how
quickly it changed. Thinking of getting a slip over cover for the front
if go off road, to the beach, really sweaty from bike riding. Does
anyone here know of source for these

Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Cool King Ranch Leather Conditioner - not bad but there's better

I tried the Ford supplied King Ranch Leather Conditioner and it was OK until I left my truck sitting out in the 100' sun all day. I came back and their was a waxy residue all over the interior - including the glass - that doesn't hardly come off ( let alone scrape off). I talked to the experts and they said that most conditioners have a high quantity of water in them - used as fillers - and what I was seeing was that effect - called FOGGING.

I checked out Lexol , Maguiars, and a couple others at my local lab ( I work in a water testing lab) and found that they too have high water content and chemicals too boot - not biodegradable or earth friendly ! Lexol tested 82% water !!!

So I started searching for the best product that was out there. My buddy said to look at www.voigtprotec.com and there I found a new non-fogging conditioner that leaves Lexol and King Ranch in the dust. It's the only stuff I put on my interior now and it works on all other leather like a hot darn.

This Voigt Leather Protec conditioner is what I would recommend to even my best enemy - it works and that's what counts.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
well i dont think your supposed to condition the seats then leave it in the sun. Its probably best to do it when its cool out

Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by kenevans
I tried the Ford supplied King Ranch Leather Conditioner and it was OK until I left my truck sitting out in the 100' sun all day. I came back and their was a waxy residue all over the interior - including the glass - that doesn't hardly come off ( let alone scrape off). I talked to the experts and they said that most conditioners have a high quantity of water in them - used as fillers - and what I was seeing was that effect - called FOGGING.

I checked out Lexol , Maguiars, and a couple others at my local lab ( I work in a water testing lab) and found that they too have high water content and chemicals too boot - not biodegradable or earth friendly ! Lexol tested 82% water !!!

So I started searching for the best product that was out there. My buddy said to look at www.voigtprotec.com and there I found a new non-fogging conditioner that leaves Lexol and King Ranch in the dust. It's the only stuff I put on my interior now and it works on all other leather like a hot darn.

This Voigt Leather Protec conditioner is what I would recommend to even my best enemy - it works and that's what counts.

You really should not read this thread but rather the more extensive sticky about King Ranch leather care on this board...this thread is over 6 years old.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pasted from a post by Lenny...

Originally Posted by Lenticular
I am still seeing occasional posts about leather care, much of which is detailed in the sticky at the top of the page.

However partly because of more posts particularly about steering wheels, I thought it worth re-iterating one point that may not have come across before.

Leather is only skin and must be treated in much the same way as your own skin - dirt and sunlight are the enemies. When mechanics get dirt ingrained in their fingers it eventually cracks them, and the same happens to leather - dirt must not be allowed to get deep into the creases and pores of leather. Human perspiration in particular attacks leather, so regular cleaning of your leather trimmed steering wheel is a must.

Any product that promises to clean and condition in one cannot do either job properly. To condition it must soak in immediately, therefore it must take the dirt in with it. Any conditioner that needs leaving for a long time and then polishing off cannot soak in completely, therefore it leaves a sticky residue, to which dust and dirt will cling.

In other words cleaning and conditoning are 2 separate issues.

If your leather starts to look dirty use a cleaner of your preference (I'm not getting into THAT debate again), and after a few days when the seats are totally dry, use the conditioner of your choice. (Or THAT debate either).

Having said all that IF your seats are not noticeably dirty a combined cleaner/conditioner will be fine.
And I still maintain the KR product is as good as any. (I AM getting into that debate !)

Ta Ta for now....

See y'all in a couple of weeks when I come back to your side of the pond.

(Did I actually say ' Y'all ' !! Awesome !)

Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Leather Care for Your King Ranch Truck Seats

I notice many questions about keeping the King Ranch Edition seats clean and conditioned. I have been in the leather repair business for 10 years and will share some tips on leather care.

First of all, the wonderfully soft castano leather in the King Ranch edition trucks is an analine-type leather. That means the dye is IN the leather instead of on top. Analine leather has a softer, warmer, more natural look and feel. The downside of analine leather is that it has no protective dye coat on top to run interference with stains and normal wear. Most stains will go INTO analine leather rather than remain on top. Because they have penetrated they are much harder to get out and some will never come out. The good news (if you want to call it that) is, over time they tend to "migrate" on down through the leather and become less noticeable.

The King Ranch castano leather is NOT the normal automotive leather you find in the average leather auto seat. Most all of those seats are protected leather and they can be successfully cleaned with a variety of over-the-counter leather cleaners. So what you might clean your leather car seats with will not work and might even FURTHER stain your KR seats. The castano KR leather must be cleaned with a leather cleaner specifically formulated for analine leathers. I would not recommend LEXOL cleaner or conditioner for your King Ranch seats. It is great stuff for saddles and finished or protected leather (dye coat on top). There are some products specifically formulated for cleaning analine leathers. One product that I have used and trust is Leather Master Foam Cleaner. It is available, along with other products at www.leatherworldtech.com Check each product on the site to see if it is recommended for ANALINE leather before ordering it to use on your seats. Another good website from which to get information on leather care and products is: www.advleather.com Their SG-50 product is a good one. But before you use a conditioner/protector product on your seats, I would recommend cleaning to get out all of the spots and stains possible.

If you inquire as to whether a leather cleaner or conditioner is OK for analine leather and you get: A blank look; they say "what kind?"; or a comment such as all leathers are the same; or "Oh yeah, it will work on all leather"; a red flag should go up and you may know more than the person you are talking to. Best to walk away and find someone who understands what you are asking.

Because this is an unprotected leather, it needs more frequent "feeding". If your seats start to feel dry, lighter in color, or rougher to the touch, they likely need conditioning. Again, check the leather care product supplier to make sure the product you are using is OK for analine leather. The two I mentioned earlier are such products. Any leather care product must have the correct pH balance to be healthy for your leather. Reputable leather care product manufacturers are careful to formulate their products correctly. Stay away from leather "wipes" and Armorall products. They are not good for analine leathers and contain silicone, which really isn't good for any leather. You are not looking for "shine"; you are looking for cleaning and conditioning products that will help your leather last a long time. You paid a premium for your King Ranch Edition truck and the high-dollar leather seats that came with it, so make sure you are getting the right stuff to make them last.

Note: When you use an analine-formulated cleaner on yours seats, it may temporarily darken them, but should dry out to be a normal color. Using a blow dryer (not too hot!) can speed up the drying process.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Leather Care for Your King Ranch Truck Seats

I'll add this as an adendum to my previously placed thread on leather care for your King Ranch seats.

A few more FYI's: Getting in and out of your truck (especially with jeans) is like sanding your leather. It also takes the natural oils out of the leather. If the leather appears to be wearing and lighter in color, it may need conditioning.

Skin and body oils, and perspiration will wreak havoc on unprotected leather. NEVER sit on your leather with suntan lotion or other oils on your body. If you are sweaty, do your seats a favor and throw down a towel or other kind of cover over them. Leaning your head back on the headrest will cause absorption of skin and hair oils into the leather and at the very least will cause discoloration. At the worst (and this happens) it will totally change the leather, causing it to break down and split. It goes without saying that eating in your truck can be hazardous to your seats. Best to carry a towel under the seat or in the back that you can spread over your lap to avoid spills or dribbles onto the leather. Should you get food on your seats and if it is a grease or oil-based stain, get to it as soon as possible and sprinkle a bit of corn starch on it. The corn starch will draw the grease or oil UP and absorb it rather than allowing it to go down into the leather. You can do this several times if necessary, sweeping or brushing the corn starch off before each new application. It doesn't take a whole lot of corn starch to absorb the oily stain.

Ink stains (ballpoint) are best removed when they are fresh. A laundry STICK (i.e. Spray n Wash--the waxy STICK and NOT the spray!!!) works pretty good. Don't put on a bunch and rub it around. Instead, take a tooth pick or something else pointed and get just a dab on the end so you can work the waxy stuff up and down the ink mark. Again, don't rub! Work just along the ink mark with the stain removal wax; wiping it back with a soft cloth. You should see the waxy stuff turning bluish or gray as it is picking up the ink from the leather. Repeat the process several times and see how much ink you can remove. I have had success to the point of complete removal; at the very least you should at least be able to diminish it somewhat.

After reading this, you may be wondering "Why did I ever think I wanted these seats???". Well, because they are really NICE seats! However they do require more care and maintenance and by their nature are more vulnerable to staining. Hopefully my comments will be helpful to you in maintaining your seats for as long as you own your truck. For serious problems beyond the scope of what I have discussed here, it would be best to contact a qualified leather repair technician for advice or service.

I will be happy to answer questions. Be sure to mention leather seat care or King Ranch seats in your subject line so I don't mistake an unknown sender for spam.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 PM
EDITED POST:

Thanks RockPick.

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-01-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by kenevans
Water lab...
Water lab, eh? I do a thing or two with water and have done quite a bit of work in the Pacific Northwest (primarily Washington and Montana)...

How's Idaho this time of year? I've played Hidden Lakes up there and have been terribly intoxicated at the hotel/bar there in Sandpoint... wow that was a long night.

None the less, thanks for the insight on the Voigt Leather Protec...

Old 12-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by RollingRock
No offense Cindy, but with only two posts, and covered data about Costano leather, this seems a little troll like.

could be just me....
Ehh... seems honest enough to me. A tad of IP checking actually kind of checks out, so to speak. Illinois isn't Virginia. *shrugs*

Nice post, Cindy. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Interested in King Ranch Leather Care? You Have Come to the Right Place! CLICK HERE!