King Ranch

King of Iceland

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King of Iceland

So far as I know I am the only King rancH in the country of Iceland. In the background is a Geothermal Water Plant that removes the sulfer from, and cools the water for human use. No need for hot water heaters in this country because domiciles and buildings are heated by naturally hot water. This pix was taken outside the town of Hafnir (pronounced Hapnid). Notice the time in the lower right corner, yes this was at 10:11 PM.

I am the King of Iceland!

Old 07-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Very nice!!! Looks great sitting on his throne there Iceland at 10:00 PM looks like 10:00 AM here.

Old 07-20-2003, 02:28 AM
Very cool Sarman! Beautiful pic. Love the 10pm thing - must be an amazing place to be. Perhaps not so illuminating in Winter!!

Did you buy the KR in Iceland? How did the truck get there?

Old 07-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Nice pic. Sarman.

Makes a great change from the usual posed stuff !!!

Did you people in Iceland ever get to see the BBC programme
"Top Gear" presented by Jeremy Clarkson.
He did a one hour special about Iceland and motoring and motor sport in unusual conditions.
It was very interesting.

Next pic I want to see is you competing in that crazy mountain climbing thing with your KR trying to get up a vertical slope !!!!

Old 07-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Its been many years ago but I visited an Air Force base in Iceland a couple of times. And it was during that part of the year when it stays light 24 hours a day. Its pretty weird coming out of a club at midnight and the sun blinding you.

When I was there, the military people had a golf tournament on top of a plateau. You could bring as many clubs as you wanted but you had to carry them up the side of that thing. And then back down when it was all over. A very unusual event.

Have a good time up there. Its a beautiful place and not someplace a lot of people get to see.

Old 07-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Sarman,

Congrats man, you made it...I wish I could visit Iceland someday. Are you going to be living there indefinately? That picture is great and your truck looks real good eventhough it's Charcoal Blue, I like it. Keep in touch and take care as I'm sure there are many geological dangers lurking in Iceland...I bet RockPick would give his left *&^ to have a chance to visit Iceland and take a pick and poke around the geological variety up there, just guessing though...

Later,

~DM~

Old 07-20-2003, 08:00 PM
CHAOS,
I bought the truck in Illinois and shipped the truck via a big boat. It cost me $2100.00 to get it here but it is worth it to see the heads of the Islandic locals turn to take a second look at what just passed them. Plus a 4x4 is the only way to visit the "inner island".

Lenticular,
This is about as vertical as I am willing to go right now.

Chestnut,
The Air Force base is where I am located.

DAVEMAN,
I am stationed up here with the US NAVY for the next three years. RP would freakin love it up here with all of the volcanoes and glaciers this place has.

sarman

Old 07-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by sarman
...RP would freakin love it up here with all of the volcanoes and glaciers this place has.
Damn skippy. I'd LOVE to be up there sometime.

RP

Old 07-21-2003, 01:19 PM
That's cool sarman!

What is there to do in Iceland? Can I ask what you do for the Navy? Sounds like a pretty cool job being able to travel the world like that!!

Joe

Old 07-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Damn skippy. I'd LOVE to be up there sometime.

RP
THAT IS THE FUNNIEST SMILIE I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME!!! It definately suits you

Joe

Old 07-21-2003, 08:33 PM
KingRanchSC02,
I am an Anti Submarine Warfare Systems Operator (AW) in the Navy. Basically I fly in the back of an SH-60 helicopter and use a variety of instruments to search, detect, localize, track and attack submarines and surface ships. Occasionally I will jump out of the helo to rescue downed aircrews and/or mariners that are in trouble on the worlds oceans. (SAR=search and rescue, ie. sarman)
Right now I am stationed at Naval Air Station Keflavik Iceland coordinating the daily operations and exercises of US and NATO forces operating in the North Atlantic area.
If I tell you any more I'd have to kill ya! Just kidding.
There is a ton of stuff to do in iceland, way too much to list here but if you make it up here in the next three years you will have a place to stay. That goes for any one out there.

sarman

Old 07-21-2003, 08:42 PM
That's cool man. What an awesome job! Thanks for the open arms, appreciate it So how are you getting used to the 24 hr days of sunlight? hehe

Joe

Old 07-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks Sarman!
It's 100° plus here in Dallas, and I need a little relief. Uh, can you provide transport??

It is my understanding that Iceland is actually quite green, and that Greenland is very icy. That a cartographer made a mistake centuries ago, but then the names stuck. Any truth to that rumor?

Have fun in the sun.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:39 AM
T21
Cool

Great picture!!! Just one question..... Where the heck are all the trees???

Tom

Old 07-22-2003, 06:55 PM
66Boss351,
The truth of the matter is that the Vikings would call their home Iceland so that their enemies would not want to track them down to such an un-inhabital place like ICEland, and if they did go to Iceland to track down the Vikings they would most likely go to the land that was made of Ice (Greenland) and not find their pray. Anyhow the name is a deversion from the land on which they actually lived. The vikings named Greenland, Greenland to add to the confusion of trying to find them. This from an old man that works at a lacal lighthouse in Gardur (Garthur). I think i can feel my leg being pulled as I explain this story but it is a good story.

T21
There in lies the problem partner, Not much grows on Centuries old Lava but centuries old moss. There are trees here on the island but they are not very tall and they grow them on farms like you might see x-mas trees in a parking lot. There are parts of the country that are lush with overgrowth of ferns and other plant life but it runs in patches. There is alot of tall grass in the lowlands but as far as "trees" it's hard for a guy to stop on the side of the road and go behind a tree to do his business.

sarman

Quick Reply: King of Iceland