F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   King Ranch (https://www.f150online.com/forums/king-ranch-79/)
-   -   Expy console installed in KR (https://www.f150online.com/forums/king-ranch/101263-expy-console-installed-kr.html)

Damoncaravanman 12-29-2002 02:13 AM

Expy console installed in KR

I just wanted you all to see the Expy console I put in my King Ranch. I traded in my 2001 Supercrew and pulled the console out and tried to live with out it in the 03 King Ranch and couldn't. Let me know what you think.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-977-43776.jpg

bluelightning 12-29-2002 02:16 AM

I read the post and thought "good grief" I will admit it looks awsome being you put the King Ranch lid on. I would even do like what you did, More room for my junk.

Damoncaravanman 12-29-2002 02:22 AM

I will let you (KR owners especially) all know that the lids are not interchangable. The Expy lid is longer and a little wider. I had to add some leather to the back end of the lid, but there was enough on the original KR lid to stretch across the Expy lid. For all others (non KR owners), just change the whole console out and you don't need to worry about the lids.

bluelightning 12-29-2002 02:27 AM

I have had 3 Screw King Ranches 01 2wd blue 02 4wd blue 03 4wd blue 02 lightning blue 01 lariat supercab 2 wd green 02 f-350 crew cab lariat white 03 Navigator Blue

Skagel 12-29-2002 08:00 AM

I noticed the blue ford oval on the stearing wheel.....my truck doesn't have that....I have seen them on the steering wheels of the SD's, but not our F150's.....what's the deal with that? Is that a mod?

CoilFrac 12-29-2002 09:46 AM

Not a mod. My '03 has the same logo in the steering wheel

Rockpick 12-29-2002 11:31 AM

Nice...

BroncoDave 12-29-2002 01:51 PM

Very nice mod, looks great.
BD

Damoncaravanman 12-29-2002 02:03 PM

Hey Sarah, I saw that you had wanted to do this a while back, even went to some guy you didn't know with a measuring tape :), did you ever do this mod? Also, you showed us a place to get leather, did you ever order from them and did it match close?

KingRanchSC02 12-29-2002 02:07 PM

That is the c00lest!! :rocker:

If you dont mind me asking, how much that set you back damon, i might acutally do that. I wasnt gonna do it because i thought that i wasn't going to be able to have the king ranch lid. if you dont mind me askin damon, how much that set u back?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

-KR :banana:

Damoncaravanman 12-29-2002 02:24 PM

Cost?
OK the actual console was purchased back in later 01 from LWN in Oklahoma for $115.00
The recovering of the expy lid was done by a local upholstry shop for $75.00 where he added some leather to the rear of the lid.
The install was $20.00 to take out the Supercrew console and install the expy by local Ford dealer. A friend of mine works back in the body shop as the manager so he acts like it is just another job for the body shop but at a discount. (Good to know people, he does all of my installs!). Total cost was $210.00. I think that it was worth it.

Lenticular 12-29-2002 02:40 PM

This looks like a really useful mod.

Especially when you look at the console I have been using for some years.

Purchased ages ago from Walmart for using in rental cars in the years before I decided it really made financial sense to buy rather than give Alamo about $5000 every time I came across to the States!

I think the time has come to get on with a similar effort the next time I come across.
Can any of you guys and gals across there find out what a suitable console would cost from a dealer ?

Apart from the leather problem is it a do it yourself project?
What about the disc changer in the bottom of the console?

Look at the pic and see why I need to do this !!!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-864-43827.jpg

Rockpick 12-29-2002 02:49 PM

I really like the extra space that it creates but, I'm curious to see how the leather looks on the console lid that you modified. Sarah and I both looked into doing this a while back but we both decided that it was going to be more of a bear than it was worth considering that the console lids didn't match up.

Do you have any pictures (close ups) of the lid and how it sits on the console and, if you did do any leather 'tweaking', could you show some pictures of that as well?

Dufunnel and I decided that we wanted that extra space next to the console but, to accomplish this, we purchased the Clarion 8" powered camoflauge subwoofer...

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...1710-33854.jpg

This is a fully contained unit (amp and sub inside) and adds a nice bit of bass to the sound system. It's not as much space as the expy console but, it I certainly L-O-V-E the extra space on the top of the sub. I use it CONSTANTLY...

Really nice mod Damon... I like it.

RP :p

Skagel 12-29-2002 03:09 PM

No, I never did do this mod. I still want to, but I have to finish the mods I have waiting to install first....of course before I can do those I need to go back to college and get an electronics degree so I don't kill myself.

Damoncaravanman 12-29-2002 04:37 PM

Rockpick, all I did was take the expy console and took the lid off and the lid off my KR console and took both down to the upholstry shop and told the guy to swap the material. He took the KR leather and put it on the expy console lid and added three inches of new leather to the back portion of the lid as the expy lid is longer. There is enough of the KR leather under our KR lids to use on the expy console from side to side, but not enough to go from the front to back. The leather he added was not the KR leather, but is close on color as our leather is not all one color any way. You would have to look close to see the diff. Everyone who has looked could not tell. I do not have the truck right now as the Ford dealer is installing the newest Powercode alarm/remote start that has not even hit dealers yet. They have had it three days as they are teaching the two techs there the advantage of this system over the older Gold series alarm/remote start. So when I get it back, I will take some more pics.