F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Introduction Forum (https://www.f150online.com/forums/introduction-forum-135/)
-   -   Just got a 98 F150 4.2l in a trade... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/introduction-forum/519816-just-got-98-f150-4-2l-trade.html)

calan 11-30-2018 01:18 AM

Just got a 98 F150 4.2l in a trade...

Old turbo DSM guy here. Just got a 1998 F150 4.2L RWD in a trade, and starting to learn about it and get it back into shape. Signed up here to find recommendations for plugs, wires, suspension upgrades, etc.

If anyone wants to give me a head start and point me to some links, that would be great. :D

ManualF150 11-30-2018 08:28 AM

I'd start with Motorcraft Coil, Plugs, and Plug Wires for best performance. Don't forget to gap the plugs accordingly.

Do you know if the intake manifold gasket has been replaced or not? If you don't know, I'd suggest getting it replaced. The 97-98 M/Y are known to leak coolant into the cylinders causing hydrolock. Which basically totals out the engine.

As far as wear and tear items, it really depends on how everything looks. Look at the condition of the rubbers on all of the parts (struts and mounts, control arms, etc) and get a good feeling of the steering to find out if it might need inner/out tie rods.

The bearings up front are one piece units that built into the brake rotors. So if you decide to upgrade your brakes, you'll be noting the rotors cost more than your average rotor. You just need to be absolutely sure that you torque the spindle nuts down to exactly 221 ft/lb . If you don't you'll run into issues with the bearing.

Then your general maintenance items like flushing the transmission, drain and fill the coolant, flush the rear end and inspect, etc, etc.

The 4.2l is an industrial engine, in fact it was commonly used in gensets. We actually got one at work. It's the ESG-642. So it's a reliable engine as long as you do basic maintenance.

Remember, it's a 1998, so it's been around the block, or twice.

Good luck.

calan 11-30-2018 09:20 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Ignition parts are already on order, but my next biggest issue is with the brakes. It's been 30 years or so since I worked on drum brakes, and I thought I had put that little PITA well behind me. Guess not. :)

It feels like it really needs shocks also, and I'll probably replace as much as I can as far as suspension bushings and bearings.

Roadie 11-30-2018 09:24 AM

Well my 02 has disc brakes on the rear. But, the emergency brake is a drum brake inside the rear of the disc. So I get to enjoy dealing with both when I disassemble them for maintenance!

calan 11-30-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 5244161)
Well my 02 has disc brakes on the rear. But, the emergency brake is a drum brake inside the rear of the disc. So I get to enjoy dealing with both when I disassemble them for maintenance!

Yeah, I rebuilt the rear brake calipers on my Talon a couple of times, and the e-brake portion buried under the piston is not a lot of fun.

I don't enjoy working on brakes, and especially drum brakes... from what I remember.

glc 11-30-2018 10:26 AM

The bearings up front are one piece units that built into the brake rotors. So if you decide to upgrade your brakes, you'll be noting the rotors cost more than your average rotor. You just need to be absolutely sure that you torque the spindle nuts down to exactly 221 ft/lb . If you don't you'll run into issues with the bearing.
No, they are old school conventional cone bearings that are separately replaceable. You are thinking 04+.

ManualF150 11-30-2018 12:52 PM

No, they are old school conventional cone bearings that are separately replaceable. You are thinking 04+.
Yep, forgot about that...