Textured Plastic Trim Paint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Textured Plastic Trim Paint Removal

OK, so I took part of the dash apart to clean the air vents really well after doing the cabin air-filter hack. No sense pushing filtered air past all that old dust and crap.

Anyway, the center console trim piece has some bits where the grey has... flaked? worn? off and it's basic plastic black underneath. And since it's off and cleaned up I'd been thinking of painting it black* to create a little accent and cover up the previous owner's screw holes for the trailer brake control (before they moved it below the dash) anyway...

...then I got to thinking

If there's a way to just gently strip the paint instead, without melting the plastic, that might be better. It wouldn't wear off for one.

Anyone ever done that? Successfully of course Though mistakes can teach lessons too so what not to do/use would be good too.

* inspired by the accent black in the " project * no payment* " thread:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/199...o-payment.html

For now I'm thinking just the piece around the sound system and climate controls with the two vents and passenger air-bag switch.

Thanks in advance if anyone has ideas.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidelining this idea for a while, more urgent work needs doing first, and I figured just the small piece being done might look stupid. If/when I do this it should probably be the whole instrument cluster driver side area like the " project *no payment* " inspiration.

I just think black is going to look much better than the medium gray on light gray it is now/original. Especially as the steering wheel and column are black. Not too sure what to do with the likewise medium gray (what do ya call it...) "clutter tray" on the passenger side dash top though. Black would be too much and odd looking. Maybe make it light gray to match/blend.

Anyway, like I said, other stuff I should get sorted with the truck first, it's not going to be a show piece anyway

Quick Reply: Textured Plastic Trim Paint Removal