F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Interior Care (https://www.f150online.com/forums/interior-care-49/)
-   -   Turning off seat belt chime (https://www.f150online.com/forums/interior-care/410011-turning-off-seat-belt-chime.html)

Grunthunter 03-12-2010 05:36 PM

Turning off seat belt chime

Anyone know an easy way to temporarily turn off the seat belt chime. When I'm out on my hunting lease I am constantly in and out of my truck and slowly riding around. It's a PITA to have to keep locking and unlocking the seat belt. But, when I'm back on public roads I want it operating properly.

Would just putting a buckle in the seat side receptacle trick the system into thinking everything is OK or is there a sensor in the coiled up side also?

KDracing 03-12-2010 05:52 PM

check your owners manual, on the older body style trucks there is a way to turn the beeper off, it is a series of turning the key and unlocking/locking the doors. not sure about the newer trucks but im sure there is something

Smokin Lariat 03-12-2010 06:51 PM

I've told many this before... got to the local dealer and ask for a FREE seat belt extender. Plug it into the driver seat side receptacle - beep is gone forever until you remove it. (Assuming you're alone n the truck) It tricks the system into thinking the belt is buckled! Keep it in your console and use it when you're hunting, don't when you want things to work as normal, unless you just want or need a little extra room in the belt.

Grunthunter 03-12-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat (Post 4131678)
I've told many this before... got to the local dealer and ask for a FREE seat belt extender. Plug it into the driver seat side receptacle - beep is gone forever until you remove it. (Assuming you're alone n the truck) It tricks the system into thinking the belt is buckled! Keep it in your console and use it when you're hunting, don't when you want things to work as normal, unless you just want or need a little extra room in the belt.

Thay give them away FREE ? ? ?

XtremeBawls 03-13-2010 12:35 AM

Owners manual will tell you.

Grunthunter 03-13-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by XtremeBawls (Post 4132153)
Owners manual will tell you.

Yep, you are so correct. I missed that. Man! what an ordeal you have to go through to deactivate it:
:fyi:
  1. Make sure the parking brake is set
  2. Make sure the gearshift is in Park
  3. Make sure the ignition switch is in the off position
  4. Make sure the driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position. [ DO NOT START THE ENGINE ]
  6. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off ( Approximately one minute )
  7. The next step MUST be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off
  8. For the seating position being disabled, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt NINE times, ending in the unbuckled state
  9. After the above step the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be turned on for three seconds
  10. Within approximately seven seconds of the light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
  11. This will disable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the constraint system warning light will flash four times per second for three seconds
  12. WHEW ! ! !

They do mention that there is an 8" safety belt extension available ( part number 611C22) from a dealer but don't indicate that it's free.

They do have a warning to NOT insert a latch plate into the buickle to avoid the Belt-Minder chime. They say to do so may adversely affect the performance of the vehicle's air bag system.

With all of that said, they do identify that there is a One Time Disable method:
"If at any time the driver/front passenger quickly buckles then unbuckles the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position, the Belt-Minder is disabled for the current ignition cycle. The Belt-Minder feature will re-enable during the same ignition cycle if the occupant buckles and remains buckled for 30 seconds. Confirmation is NOT given for the one time disable."

The driver and front passenger Belt-Minder are deactivated/activated independantly.

Smokin Lariat 03-13-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Grunthunter (Post 4131739)
Thay give them away FREE ? ? ?

My dealer did! And using it is a lot simpler than going thru that 12 step process every time you want to disable the chime.

greencrew 03-13-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Grunthunter (Post 4131543)
When I'm out on my hunting lease I am constantly in and out of my truck and slowly riding around. It's a PITA to have to keep locking and unlocking the seat belt. But, when I'm back on public roads I want it operating properly.

This may be the best reason for turning off the seat belt charm. We would lease hundreds of acres, then drive around from fence post to fence post slowly quietly, so as not to chase away the birds, then that seat belt chime would go off. We also had to remember to pull the key out before opening the door. Heck, we don't even close the door hard.

Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat (Post 4131678)
I've told many this before... got to the local dealer and ask for a FREE seat belt extender. Plug it into the driver seat side receptacle - beep is gone forever until you remove it. (Assuming you're alone n the truck) It tricks the system into thinking the belt is buckled!

May not be the best solution for this because your going back and forth between traveling to the hunt, hunting, and traveling to the next hunt. When your on the road traveling you want to wear the seat belt. The objective is not to disable the seat belt, but to disable the alarm. I know the extender goes on and off quickly, but if you wear the seat belt, then forget to put the extender back in, then you may have the charm going off.

Grunthunter 03-16-2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat (Post 4132751)
My dealer did! And using it is a lot simpler than going thru that 12 step process every time you want to disable the chime.

The dealer that I bought my truck from is also a member of the same hunting lease I'm on :-) I'll see him this weekend and plan on hitting him up for two seat belt extenders.

I tried the 'one time' method as described in the owners manual but it didn't work. I then started the long method above and it appears the chime turned off about halfway through the process. I've only done the drivers side so far.

XtremeBawls 03-16-2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grunthunter (Post 4137591)
The dealer that I bought my truck from is also a member of the same hunting lease I'm on :-) I'll see him this weekend and plan on hitting him up for two seat belt extenders.

I tried the 'one time' method as described in the owners manual but it didn't work. I then started the long method above and it appears the chime turned off about halfway through the process. I've only done the drivers side so far.

The only seat you need to do it in is the driver's seat if you're using the owners manual.

Grunthunter 03-16-2010 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeBawls (Post 4137808)
The only seat you need to do it in is the driver's seat if you're using the owners manual.

Unfortunately the owners manual specifically says you have to do the driver and passenger seats independantly. My driver seat doesn't chime now but the passenger seat still does.

XtremeBawls 03-16-2010 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grunthunter (Post 4137818)
Unfortunately the owners manual specifically says you have to do the driver and passenger seats independantly. My driver seat doesn't chime now but the passenger seat still does.

Well that's strange, must have changed it on the newer models.

BlueOvalFitter 03-17-2010 03:17 PM

The dealer will give you a "FREE" seat belt extender! Just buckle it up and no more chime! :banana:

LaxAttack11 06-13-2010 09:43 AM

a lot of people disregard how easy this really is...instead of the 12 step system or taking the time to even go to the dealer to get that belt extender (which can possibly mess up the airbag system if it is used too often)....just buckle the seatbelt behind you! SIMPLE AS THAT

monoxide 06-13-2010 10:51 AM

i did the 12 step thing to disable the belt minder. that thing got annoying driving from lake to lake.

Jared Lutes 06-14-2010 02:39 AM

The other day I was driving to home depot to do the gotts mod, and my friend never wears his seatbelt and so the dinger was dinging away. He said one of his friend heard that if you plug it in and unplug it like 20 times in a minute it will shut off. I laughed but sure enough he got the passenger side to quit. This would be a pain to do every keystart, but not bad for the occasional easy drive through the mountains.

06bluemeaniexl 06-15-2010 01:35 AM

"I don't want to sound like a **** or nothing, it says on your chart your ****ed up, you talk like a fag, and your ****'s all retarded..."

but seriously, shouldn't you be wearing your seatbelt? most states (including my home state of IL and my current state of WI) will give a ticket to a driver not wearing a seatbelt, and will pull you over for just that. Just my 2 cents.

10GAUGE19 06-15-2010 09:27 AM

grunthunter...Ok, I went through the 12 steps to turn off the chime, but I could never get the airbag warning light to come on? I went through the steps 3 times and never got the warning light to come on. What do you think I'm doing wrong?? Thanks for the help...:thumbsup:

Drick 06-15-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl (Post 4248130)
"I don't want to sound like a **** or nothing, it says on your chart your ****ed up, you talk like a fag, and your ****'s all retarded..."

but seriously, shouldn't you be wearing your seatbelt? most states (including my home state of IL and my current state of WI) will give a ticket to a driver not wearing a seatbelt, and will pull you over for just that. Just my 2 cents.

If you would have read the thread it clearly states his reason for disabling it.

So save your cuss word rant for people that care.

While driving behind my farm I drive through the field slow and jump out frequently to fix a fence post or pick up debris. Seems pointless to un buckle and re buckle a million times or hear the chime.

Drick 06-15-2010 02:49 PM

Just tried it and the 12 step process worked for me! But will it activate again as soon as I move my seat? I dont have memory seating positions.

06bluemeaniexl 06-16-2010 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Drick (Post 4248563)
If you would have read the thread it clearly states his reason for disabling it.

So save your cuss word rant for people that care.

While driving behind my farm I drive through the field slow and jump out frequently to fix a fence post or pick up debris. Seems pointless to un buckle and re buckle a million times or hear the chime.

See the movie 'Idiocracy'... that is a quote from it, it was meant to be funny, apparently tasteless, crude humor doesn't appeal to you...

Anyways, regardless of the purpose, you should wear a seat belt when driving any vehicle, even if you're just working on the farm or if you're crusin' on the expressway. The chime is a good thing. It reminds the driver that they need their seat belt. I guess it could be annoying if you're hopping in and out all day, but in the event that you do disable it, forget about it, and then are driving in town without the belt on. You'll be $55 poorer (at least in WI) for it and have points on your license. To me, putting up with a little annoyance is worth saving $ for.

06bluemeaniexl 06-16-2010 01:13 AM

Also... The main problem I have is for people who will google search how to disable the chime so that they can drive around without a seat belt on.

I wanted to warn people, that it is possible to get a ticket exclusively for it, even if they didn't have any other sort of moving violation.

10GAUGE19 06-17-2010 09:03 AM

I finally got it figured out!!! I've got a 2010 and the procedure for turning off the seatbelt chime is a little different than what grunthunter posted for his truck. On a 2010, you only need to latch and unlatch the seatbelt 3 times after the seatbelt light goes off.

Drick 06-20-2010 01:27 PM

I did the 12 step process and it worked for me! No more chime

Causmus 06-27-2010 12:18 PM

I have an '08 F150 and once you do the process in the owner's manual you never have to worry about the annoying beep again. Well worth the time it takes to do it. Disabling the automatic door locks is also well worth the time if you are getting in and out of your truck lots. Nothing irritated me more than getting out of my truck and going to the passenger side door to grab something and find out that the door was still locked.

Longshot270 06-27-2010 12:58 PM

When I'm in the pasture or out on a trail I just clip it behind my back. That way it is still there to annoy me when it can be usefull to avoid tickets and such on the street.

jcaru 07-01-2010 09:20 PM

For the 2010 you do have to do it for both front seats. It's not hard.

Unplug seat belt.
Turn key to ON position. Wait for seat belt light to come on. About 1 min
Click and unclick seat belt 3-4 times.
Light will flash a couple time.
Plug seat belt in one more time and your done.

You need to do each seat at separate times.

Fishhawk460 07-16-2010 09:47 PM

Sorry for bringing this thread up again, but I tried the 12 step program according to the owners manual and the airbag light does not come on when the manual said it should. I can't get rid of the chime.
Before anyone tells me I need to wear my seat belt, I always do, I just don't want the truck chiming when I first turn it on. I don't need the reminder.