How to remove headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove headliner

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to remove my headliner without damaging it. I am wanting to put sound deadner on the roof and then re-install. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Depends on what you have. Reg Cab has four screws holding it. Others also have velcro in the center. Search forum for the velcro problems some have had .If you remove your headliner you might get a better velcro just in case.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

for supercabs it is simple just take out the fasteners like the hanger hooks and what not. on the supercrew though from what i hear you have to remove the back window and take it out that way

Edit: just saw you have a screw. its gonna be a big pain

Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
So, is what your saying is that the headliner will not fit through the doors to get it out or I have to remove the rear window just to get it loose?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM

yea since you have a door pillar between the front and rear doors theres no real way to get it out through the doors without messing it up. getting it loose im not sure on

Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 PM
I was thinking of recovering mine in the near future after reading this article in Truckin' magazine. It details how to remove it, without having to take the window out - but i haven't tried this personally.

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/0810t...des/index.html

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I will check out the link, Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:21 PM

I removed mine today, just get it loose (the biggest pain, especially with the overhead console system) then lay the seats down and fold it like a hot dog and jerk it out the front passenger door.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
yah it can be done, but not easily with one person, also drop the steering wheel all the way down. We just arc'd the headliner more then truely folding it.

and yes the ford manuals say you should remove the back window to do it correctly

Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
yah it can be done, but not easily with one person, also drop the steering wheel all the way down. We just arc'd the headliner more then truely folding it.

and yes the ford manuals say you should remove the back window to do it correctly
I'll second that! It was a huge PIA to do by myself, but its doable. Took me about 1.5 hours. I'll definitely have a second set of hands reinstalling it

Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
If you're just installing sound deadener and putting it back up, is it really necessary to remove it completely from the truck? Can't you just lower it down enough to apply some Dynomat and put it back up?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

On 04-08 SCREWs with the rear window removed it is DEFINITELY a breeze. When we pulled mine to suede it we had the back glass removed and it took no time to get it back in... if you dont mind the cost to remove the glass.
Insurance paid for mine so it wasnt a biggie.
I will recommend however, if you have it out, it would be the time to check it and re-upholster it if necessary since it is a PITA to get in and out without the glass cut.

Scabs should be able to get it out easier since there is no B-pillar in the way.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pat and I had a hell of a time with mine. We did it in black suede as well and it turned out pretty good. A few wrinkles but nothing to bad. I plan on having it re-done here soon when I repaint my interior and deaden my roof. I would LOVE to install a glass roof like on the mustangs. I have to replace my roof panel anyways due to all the hail dents. Maybe just an oversized moon roof or something who knows what I will come up with. When I redo the interior I'm definitely getting rid of the rails and overhead consoles and fabricate something different. I am also going to be installing lots of LED's like they do in the high end luxury cars. Mood lighting if you will. Brand new seats as well, can't wait!

Quick Reply: How to remove headliner