Interior Painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Painting

I have an 05 SCab (see profile gallery) and I am going to do the interior red and black. Now Ive only done this once before on and old Civiv I had back in the day...it came out ok but I know I can do better with my truck. It has the standard grey everything. Now the seats are done (pics coming soon) and now I need to do the door panels.
Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this and what sticks good.

The last time I tried this, the paint just wouldnt stick very well to the door.
I've heard that DupliColor interior paint is ok to use.
Plez if anyone has done this or knows how...please walk me through...much appreciated fellow F150 brothers and sisters.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I used krylon fusion on my dash only prep was washing pieces with dawn dish soap to remove oily fingerprints and then painted.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
where did u get it from?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sem paint is the best way to go, best interior paint in the industry from what i am told. i just went and ordered all my stuff, gonna be doing a xlt dash to center shift swap. painting the dash metallic gray.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks...I really appreiciate it...

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by StreetDream
Thanks...I really appreiciate it...
no problem,

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 AM
i was thinking of painting my interior only problem is that all my interior is tan and since my truck is red i want to do my interior black/red my question is what would you guys recommend option 1 is to paint everything or option 2 buy all pieces black then just paint red? also should it be better to sand interior b4 painting ? thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Suspended
for your truck i would source an entire new dash, there are ALOT of dash's at wrecking yards for those trucks, search car-parts.com, for the hassle painting and whatnot, it wouldn't be a decision, buy a used dash. try to find a rollover and strip it, i was gonna buy a whole truck and part out what i wanted and sell the rest, but the seller backed out.

Last edited by ATOM; 03-13-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 AM
i'm wanting to paint all the grey pieces (i think)....ya'll know of any links where someone has done this? You know....the ones along side the radio/climate controls, ends of the dash, speaker covers, around the shifter, etc.....

Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by ATOM
sem paint is the best way to go, best interior paint in the industry from what i am told. i just went and ordered all my stuff, gonna be doing a xlt dash to center shift swap. painting the dash metallic gray.
sem paint???

Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Suspended
www.sem.ws/

it's paint designed to be fade resistant and flexible.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:34 AM
thanks atom i was thinking about that but if i buy all black parts i would have to part it all out right cuz if i paint some then it would look a different color right..and if i decide to paint it do i need to buy the primer as well? thanks for the info

Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 07kngrnch
i'm wanting to paint all the grey pieces (i think)....ya'll know of any links where someone has done this? You know....the ones along side the radio/climate controls, ends of the dash, speaker covers, around the shifter, etc.....
here are a couple pics that inspired me. i am painting the dash panel titanium metallic and then the rest of the dash will be the gray textured plastic, i'm leaving the stock fx4 carbon fiber look bezel and painting the top of the shift area titanium also. i dislike the speaker grille paint though, maybe because it's red, just too much red IMO

Originally Posted by louie956
thanks atom i was thinking about that but if i buy all black parts i would have to part it all out right cuz if i paint some then it would look a different color right..and if i decide to paint it do i need to buy the primer as well? thanks for the info
i am gonna use all sem product. prep cleaner, sand free (adhesion promoter, it's a must for painting plastics) color coat, and then a clear (to add durabilty, i am going low luster, don't wanna real shiny surface on the dash, it's a pain to see outta in the sun (did that before, not a great idea)

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Wow! Yep that is a "must do" now!! I was planning on trying to do a forest green to match the exterior (plus it woulda looked good with the tan panels and the KR interior) but now I'm thinking it would be too glossy....crap, time to rethink things. Any color opinions?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Suspended
you could paint it green to match, but use a low luster clear, it would give it a "plastic look" but not be super shiny.

Quick Reply: Interior Painting