2006 F150 Difficulty Getting Comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a crying shame. I'm really liking the new F150s and 250s, but even in the superduty (after 2 "all new" revisions), they still have those crappy headliners. In all seriousness, I would buy a king ranch or platinum if it meant that they had some decent seats in it.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roraniel
Here is the deal. Your seats will never be comfortable.
I was the Chief Engineer for the company that manufactures the seats for the Ford F150 when the new truck was being designed. The seats were originally designed with 1 inch of additional molded foam in the seat cushion. The seats were designed around specific comfort criteria for long term ride comfort.
About 6 months before launch the truck failed a Federal Crash Test with a 96th percentile (6ft. Male) crash test mannequin. In simple terms the mannequins head hit the sun visor area to hard.
The test showed the seating position needed to be lowered by 1 inch. 6 months before launch the only thing that could be changed was to take 1 inch of foam out of the seat cushion. Every other possible change would have involved millions of dollars in tool changes and a delay in launch.
This is why your A$$ and lower extremities hurt after sitting for a longer period.
Ok, thanks for confirming I wasn't the only one with this issue!
So what if we remove the seat covers and re add that 1" of foam?

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 01-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I drive my 06 Lariat cross country in the summer and it's not unusual for me to go 8-12 hours stopping only for gas and a P. Love my seats. I do have the power driver seat but comfort has never been an issue. Maybe you have to be 5'7" for them to fit!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm 5'8". Plain and simple... the seats suck.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Well I thought the same thing about my 07, leather, powerseats. Uncomfortable.
However I had my last truck (dodge) for 9 years. I think you just get used to the previous trucks seating. Then you go to something else.
Adjustment after adjustment, I am more used to it now. But still think they could have used some more work to make better, Of course after 2 hours driving you are ready to get out anyway.
A dead pedal would be nice.
The other problem is now that Ive got my seat where I want it, I cant read the speedo between 45 and 80 because the steering wheel is in the way. So i find myself constantly bobbing my head up and down to read the Speedo....one of my petpeevs of this truck.
Then you rub your right leg on the bottom of the steering wheel when you get out.
I think the dash could have been a tad higher.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 PM
The 04-08 seats are too low, and too flat. Period.

Compare them to 97-03 F150 seats and the 09 seats. They learned their lesson and went back to what works and feels good.

Not the best pictures for comparison but you can still see the difference.

Last edited by MOford21; 01-26-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I havent ever had a real problem with comfort, but I'm 6'4. I do need a new seat bottom, mine is getting kinda smushed down from my fat a$$ being in and out all the time

Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I've driven my 06 since sept. 05. I have 85000 miles on it, (all 4-10 hour trips) I have the xl with only lumbar support and have never noticed them being uncomfortable. I have made a permanent dent in the center console from my bony elbow, though. I love my seats.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I've put almost 48,000 miles on my '07 since my post here on the first or second page and I still hate these ****** seats! I have an old jacket that I sort of stuff beside and slightly underneath my right leg to support it more and that helps. I made temporary spacers with washers between both the floor and the front of the brackets, and the brackets and the seat bottom. This raised the front edge of the seat about 3/4 of an inch. That helped but I was afraid the force of the driver's weight was no longer being distributed the way it was meant to be so I was afraid of breaking something or bending something. (the brackets no longer sat with their complete contact/load bearing surfaces on the floor) so I removed them. I may try again with some spacers made out of tubing, with the angles cut properly to avoid that issue. I sat in a coworker's '07 with power seats and it seemed to be only slightly better. I'm glad to see Ford changing the seats for '09 but I'm still stuck with a truck I'm only comfortable in for an hour or so.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 Difficulty Getting Comfortable