behind passenger airbag

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question behind passenger airbag

Hi..i bought my 98 ford f-150 and it came with no air bags...i think they were deflated in an accident. So I was searching the internet for an audio system, and i'm totally hooked on putting a computer in my car for mp3 usage..also dvd and vcd's and such. So not to get too complicated..i wish to put the notebook sized computer somwewhere convenient, and the logical place for me is where the airbags would be. Has anyone removed that oval shaped part, that dashboard oval part that holds the airbag..is it removable..and if it is...is there anyway to fit a computer the size of say a phonebook? Thanks for the info.

Old 11-28-2000, 10:45 AM
Are you serious? Somebody sold you a vehicle with no air bags ... and you bought it? I'm not sure what the laws are in Texas but if it was a dealer they could be in big trouble. ALL of the safety equipment (such as brakes and airbags) have to be in good operating condition when a vehicle is sold. I can't answer your question as to where to put the computer but I'm kind of stunned that you'd rather have your passenger plow their forehead into an A/V system instead of an airbag.

Old 11-28-2000, 10:58 AM
Talking

HeHEHE..well i bought the truck from a person who buys trucks from insurances..so no dealer was involved. I don't care about my passengers...but if they do hit my computer with their head,which would be in the air bag, not only would they have to buy me a new one..but also they would have to clean off the blood over my cushion seats.

Old 11-28-2000, 01:20 PM
How do you even know if the driver's side airbag is in working condition?

Personally, I'd go after the insurance company to get the airbag put back in. You're gonna have a hell of a time selling this truck and if you sell it without the new owners knowing about the missing airbag and they get into an accident... Well, let's just say that you had better have a really really REALLY good lawyer.

Old 11-28-2000, 03:06 PM
Wink

okay...all i really want to know if the airbag dashboard area, if the cover for the airbag is taken off and no airbag in there, has enough room for a small notebook sized pc, maybe the size of a phonebook. I'm really not that interested in replacing the airbag or for any safety precautions. I'm not selling the truck...i got the truck from another guy, 1998, 38k miles, checked out to be almost new, for only $9,000,000.00. So i'll live without an airbag for the cash i saved. But thanks for the warning, but thats all i really care to know...hope i dont sound to harsh with this reply.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:47 PM
Well, since you only payed 9 million dollars for it I guess it really was a good deal.
Anyway, I doubt if a box the size of a phone book would fit in there since the bag itself is compressed into a pretty small package. Also, from what I've seen in demos, the airbag bursts through the dash so there really isn't a "cover" to remove.
You don't happen to have a couple of Pintos and a Corvair in your garage do you?

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 11-28-2000).]

Old 11-29-2000, 12:18 AM
Smile

MAn..didn't even realize how stupid i was to put the 9 million dollar amount...actually it was only 9 thousand..hehe..what a dumbass...thanks for hte info...but to ask anohter question...this other guy...said he put his 6 cd changer in his ranger where the air bag for the ranger was...are tehy basically the same? sorry for the my ignorance/stupididness

Old 11-29-2000, 08:52 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

nfgrulez, I thought about doing the same thing with my truck. Not only did not have airbags but, the seatbelts were gone too. I think they had to cut the previous occupants out. I got a good deal on the truck. The only thing wrong with it is the brakes are shot. I didn't blow my money on brakes though, I got serious woofer. I was going to put it in the airbag compartment but, the opening was too small.

One thing to remember, the launching mechanism is still there even with the airbag gone so if you ever get in an accident your notebook computer will be catapulted through the rear window.
Man, that would be more traumatic than losing a passenger.

Old 11-29-2000, 10:23 AM
Oh-oh, nfgrulez woke up Raoul.

Old 11-30-2000, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about pulling my airbag out and putting in a wet bar but after what Raoul said I would not want my ice cold "drinks" to be shot out....that would be alcohol abuse!!

Seriously, though, I still cannot believe that someone would put a notebook computer in place of an airbag!...to each his own, I guess!?!

Old 11-30-2000, 11:55 AM
Question

Our trucks have seatbelts and airbags?

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector/Ventvisors/Extra Horns
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust (Straight pipes with big chrome tips)
  • Polar Bear Grille Guard
  • Cranked Torsion Bars for 1" Lift

Old 11-30-2000, 01:44 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Thumbs down

This idea about a wet bar on the dash sounds unsafe to me. These cavities must be used for something practical. The driver's airbag slot is just the right size for a 5 inch TV. That way, driving home I could watch the Traffic News and avoid accidents.

And what's this snickering about my ropebelt?
Do you want a little rope burn or go flying through the windshield?
(Passing my woofer going the other way)

Old 12-01-2000, 12:21 AM
Well ... not all of them, Raoul's truck has that big rope across the seat, and those little inflatable butt-rings that drop down in case of a water landing.

Old 12-04-2000, 11:38 AM
I'll not say another disparaging word about your ropebelt, I just found it odd that you'd taken the term "Lariat" literally.

BTW, shouldn't you be in the White House by now?

Old 12-04-2000, 01:38 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
You'd never know it to watch the News because it's not getting alot of Press but, there's actually a three way tie going on down in Florida.

I would have won the dang thing by now but, I messed up. I sneak in the Courthouse window every night after recess and give myself some votes, only I brought a three-hole punch. Everytime I vote for me those rascals get one too!

Quick Reply: behind passenger airbag