Auto dimming mirror / overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-1999, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto dimming mirror / overhead console

Hey all, this is my first time posting here. This seems like a great site from the short time I've had to explore it.

I just bought a new '99 but I was looking at some of the cool options on the '00 models. Namely the electrochromatic mirror and the overhead console. Has anyone installed any of these options on a pre-2000 model? I think the mirror should be no big deal the overhead console would be. And if the overhead console couldn't work, maybe the overhead computer from an expedition with the sunroof option would?

I look forward to your suggestions...Thanks

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat 4x4
Ext. cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Oxford White
Trailering pkg, bucket seats, factory CD changer, four wheel disc anti-lock

Old 10-30-1999, 10:07 PM
Smile

The headliner is different too. I haven't had one down yet to check whats under (or above)it, but it's not just a bolt on thing. I already thought about doing it to my truck. I think it's too much trouble. I'd just rather get the mirror wih the compass built in. K.I.S.S.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar, Ford bedliner, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 11-01-1999, 11:58 AM
Question

Hey folks..I just bought a 2000 Lariat 4X4..it had the overheard display with a compass and outside thermometer (standard equipment), but there was no electrochromatic mirror available. This may be added as an option or as standard equipment with "late availability"??? I hope they do add it, as I really liked this option on my 95 Eddie Bauer Bronco. Gentex Inc. (Mito Corp at www.mitocorp.com) makes a chromatic rearview mirror for $99.00, which I will more than likely purchase. Hopefully the wiring will not be a big hastle. I don't want to mess up my new truck!!! They also make the same mirror with a compass and temp display for around $250.00. Wiring for this model seems more difficult as you must drill through the firewall to mouth the thermometer piece. Has anyone ever installed one of these mirrors?

Steve

------
2000 4X4 Lariat Styleside
Two tone black/silver
all factory options except LS rear
Westin step bars
Lund bugdeflector

Future mods:

True-Trac differential
Flowmasters with dual outs
Airiad high flow intake w/ K&N filter
Superchip

Old 11-20-1999, 11:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just bought a 2000 XLT 4x2 and I like the overhead console.

Old 11-25-1999, 08:57 PM
If they mount on the stock bracket, a parts store will have a special tool to unlock the tab to remove the old mirror.

Old 11-25-1999, 11:46 PM
There was an active thread some time ago on the temp. display etc. mirrors. Alot of info and links to mfr. sites. Someone had even negotiated a "deal" for 150 online people with the mfr. of the "best" product. There was, I believe, some activity involving overhead consoles as well. I think a search may well be worth your while. Funny how these things come back around. Good luck!

------------------
Ben Mc.----'99 XLT 5.4 SC SB ORP Dk. Red/Dk. Grey----Fact. Cab Steps/Tonneau/Slider----Straight Duals, Superchip, Airaid/KN (non-sag), Ungo Autostart/Keyless Remote, Prime Designs Air/Bug Deflector, Weathertech Wind/Rain Deflecters----PPI 4240 Amp,McIntosh 6x9's w/crossovers front, Polk DB 5.25's rear---Tuessssdayyyy Affffternoooooon----gotta love it!

Old 12-05-1999, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I searched and had no such luck.
I do like the electrochromatic mirros w/the tempature display though.
If only they were cheaper, $250.00 is pretty steep.
If antbody knows wherwe that thread went to let me know.

Old 12-05-1999, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new overhead console in the 2000 is very nice. Like Sycoholic said, the headliner is different and molded to fit the overhead console. I would have liked it to extend farther back...but hey...I can't complain.

The Lariat offers the keypad entry on the door which is nice.

--------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, engine build 10/4/99

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 12-05-1999).]

Old 12-10-1999, 09:58 AM
Donnelly Electronics offers an Electro-Chromic rearview mirror with compass and temperature display.
F150 Online members can get 10% off the regular price of $199. Call 1-800-297-2555 and mention this posting or visit the website at www.donnellye.com/products.

Old 12-10-1999, 04:18 PM
Here another thread on this in "other aftermarket" just a few days ago.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000614.html

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 12-10-1999).]

Quick Reply: Auto dimming mirror / overhead console