F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Interior Care (https://www.f150online.com/forums/interior-care-49/)
-   -   Leather Steering Wheel (https://www.f150online.com/forums/interior-care/20272-leather-steering-wheel.html)

TL Stegall 07-08-1999 09:33 AM

Leather Steering Wheel

I have 98 Lariat SC with the Tan Interior, leather, and the tan leather wrapped steering wheel. I take very good care of the truck and the leather (use Tanner's Preserve every month or so to keep the leather in good shape. Recently, the top colored layer on my steering wheel is starting to peel away in 3 different places (surprisingly not in the areas where I place my hand(s) while driving. Like I said, I baby my truck and make sure my hands are clean before driving it. When I was looking at the truck and preparing to purchase it, I wondered what that lightly colored steering wheel would look like in the coming years but I didn't think that it would be showing signs of age this soon. Has anyone else experienced this and did Ford replace it?

Tina 07-08-1999 02:18 PM

Looks like you're still under warrenty. Let Ford give you a new one!! Also ask them if there is some product that would prevent this from happening again.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

seacrow 07-08-1999 10:06 PM

I own a carpet and uph. cleaning business and KNOW from experience that most leather cleaners (store bought) do more harm than good. the reason that the wheel is peeling where you don't put your hands is because the stuff you use dries it out. the body oil from your hands keeps the leather flexible where you do pace your hands. Ford may replace the wheel but I recommend in the future using only 2 part leather cleaning products. Try finding some in a janitor/cleaning supply store that sells professional carpet cleaning products and look for Chemspec leather cleaner and protector (1 part system but it works great for me and moisturizes the leather very well). Or use the Ford leather cleaner, I have heard it is good.

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6 Auto White, A.R.E. Hard tonneau, ventvisors and bug guard all painted to match, Kenwood 6 Disc, Westin nerfs, Buccaneers front license plate!

Shifter 07-10-1999 12:39 AM

Major flake-offs this early? I'm for getting a new wheel on warranty. Do it! It's got an air bag so you don't want to be replacing it on your own coin. And you don't want to be looking at it and grumbling to yourself for years to come.

For the long term, I've had excellent luck using Neets Foot Oil and other various kinds of Dubbin on the leather steering wheel in my '89 Taurus (bought new by me). I've even used baseball glove oil. But use SOMETHING. At least a couple of times a year. Ten years later, that Taurus wheel still looks great. A few "character" lines only, just like me! It's black leather, however. Still, a light colour shouldn't make much difference since you always see light-coloured leather on seats.

------------------
1998 XL SC short-box 4.2 5-speed 3.55LS, Pacific Green, A/C, factory box liner, factory dark tinted rear glass (like the XLT), cassette, carpet, Canadian XLS package (split bench, chrome wheels, side mouldings, box light, tailgate lock), sill guards, Windstar (driver's) wiper blade (the one with the air scoop). Oh ya: snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

landru 08-07-1999 06:15 PM

I also have a '98 with tan leather interior, and take very good care of the leather. My wheel started loosing the outer coating that Ford put on the top of the leather about 8 months ago, only in the corners were the wheel spoke meets the wheel (this is were my thumbs ride when my hands are at 9 and 3 o'clock). The surface became skicky and gummy as the outer surface came off. My hand postion moved to the top of the wheel and the same thing is happening there now.

About once a month I use Lexoil cheaner, Ph neutral, and Meguiar's Medallion Premium Leather Conditioner. Both products are not suppose to cause this problem, and have not caused it with any other leather interior that I have owned.

I thought about a quick warrantee replacement; however, I have a feeling that I'll end up with a wheel that will do the same thing after I'm out to ghe warrantee period. I'll wait till Ford gets a better process in place.

TL Stegall 08-11-1999 12:24 AM

You described the problem exactly, landru. I feel the same. I've been using Tanner's because that's what Ford recommends. And about getting a replacement, I also feel that I'd get a new steering wheel, and experience the same problem when the warranty goes out. I may try to see if the dealership will install a black leather wheel so if does occur again, it won't be as noticeable. After all, most steering wheels in the world are black, and that's what the tan leather interior came with on the '97 models. That light color just doesn't holdup on a surface that get this type of use.

kkirt1 09-06-1999 10:41 PM

You guys aren't alone (check out my post under this Forum.) Ford is saying that it isn't covered under warranty. I say it is! Tan, just isn't a good color to stand up to that much wear.