'05 150 headliner bounce

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB for headliner

The TSB is 05-09-06

Old 07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I didnt got to the dealer for the TSB. I try not to have them touch my truck unless absolutely necessary , or if i cant figure it out myself. Anyway i did eliminate the noise..It is only 2 foam blocks inbetween the headliner and the roof. Just take out the dome light (was a PITA to figure out without breaking) and reach your hand towards the back left and right side.It is tough for people with big hands..The blocks are about 2" square and are glued to the headliner. I just pulled them out... No noise and the headliner is still solid

Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 PM
How do I remove the light?

Old 07-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i noticed the same problem and really dont want to have the entire head liner dropped out because it pry wont go back together like it should. Cant a guy take the piece that holds the headliner in place around the moonroof and reach in to fix it? Its getting annoying.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Its kinda hard to explain without pics but i will try....There is a slot in the lens that faces toward the front of the truck. You need to use a screw driver and GENTLY push towards the back of the truck while pulling down on the front of the lens. Once the front pops down there are 2 more tabs inside in the back of the lens that are similar , but you will see how they work once you get the front part down. Remember that this is only plastic and can break pretty easily. That is the hard part.....After the lens is removed , there is a metal
housing that the bulb is in and there are 2 clips that you push up with a screwdriver and the housing comes out. Once all this stuff is removed all you will have is a hole in the headliner and you can see the roof thru it. Now squeeze your hand towards the rear left (and right) side and you will feel a foam block that is about 2 inches square. They are glued to the headliner and almost feel out of reach. I just wiggled them until the glue came loose and pulled them out......
I hope this helps......

Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant a guy just put some insulation or padding between the headliner and pad to keep the head liner from moving period?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
05-09-06 has been superseded and is now 05-14-02, and doesn't require headliner removal. I've got a few extra pieces of that insulation crap at work, ain't nothing but stryofoam blocks with peel off adhesive sides on them.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I have this problem in my '05 F150. Where did you find the TSB?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Mine seems to be really bad when I close one of the doors. I even took it in to my dealer for the TSB and it is just as bad. As a matter of fact, I am not sure they did anything! Typical of most dealer service centers!

Old 09-07-2005, 03:53 PM
i didnt bother reading the other posts before this i just skiped to the last page because i know the fix for sure. i to had that same problem about 4 months ago, i have the 05 with the sun roof as well. i took it to the dealer and explained the problem, turns out there were cross braces missing but that said it was an easy fix and was a common problem, i wasnt the first apparently. anyway, since the fix, no rattles or anything from the headliner, in fact i can barely push the headliner upwards, unlike the old one

Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 AM
TSB 05-09-06 is a factory recall that addresses this problem. Ford has a shim kit available to stop this rattling I have just ordered mine.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Rattle

Has anyone had the TSB done and still have a rattling from the rear of the truck? I had the TSB done but still have an annoying rattle. It isn't noticeable on asphalt but driving through concrete parking lots with expansion joints causes it to rattle and take it down a dirt road and every ripple in the road causes a loud thumping noise. I checked the jack and the rear seat and everything looks tight.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
My rattles in directly over the driver's seat and it sounds like it is in the sunroof track itself, but I can not see anything loose from the topside. I may try the dome light solution, but am afraid of breaking it upon removal. Let me know if your rattles are directly overhead of the driver seat.

Quick Reply: '05 150 headliner bounce