F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Interior Care (https://www.f150online.com/forums/interior-care-49/)
-   -   Help me clean my headliner before i kill my GF (https://www.f150online.com/forums/interior-care/182012-help-me-clean-my-headliner-before-i-kill-my-gf.html)

vvyk3d 01-15-2005 09:06 PM

Help me clean my headliner before i kill my GF

Well, on our last trip to KY my gf left one of her Dr. Peppers in the truck unbeknownst to me. Well, its been pretty frigid here and we know what happens when pop freezes right? Yeah so my headliner is full of red Dr Pepper spots. Amazing enough my seats are clean even tho it was wedged next to one. Its just the headliner and vinyl pieces. I dunno how it managed to launch accross the car on the rear window kinda like a magic bullet but it did. Anyone with an idea of how to clean this sticky crap please tell me before i shoot her in her sleep. :bows:

Dan

vvyk3d 01-15-2005 09:24 PM

some pics of the damage:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...117-111095.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...117-111096.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...117-111097.jpg

Green_Fox 01-15-2005 10:07 PM

wow that suxs...

I say go buy one of those carpet shampoo spray cans with the scrubber and scrub the heck outta it. Pepboys and auto zone has some good stuff. I use that stuff when I have kids in my truck and they spill coke. Works pertty good.

and for the plastic buy armor all cleaning wipes...I always end up getting coke on my pass door and those wipes work real good...

Rockpick 01-15-2005 10:33 PM

Be VERY careful with one of those scrubbers. The headliner material is MUCH thinner than a carpet and much less durable. It's just a simple piece of cloth glued to a molded board...

If I were you, I'd first attempt to remove what I could with a very hot rag. I think this will take more off than you think.

From there, I'd follow with a dilute solution of carpet cleaner and hot water on a terry towel.

For the remaining spots, I'd go with a 75% / 25% solution of the same cleaner and hot water.

Be sure to allow the interior ample time to dry as we don't want to introduce musty odors and such.

So you were in Kentucky and didn't even come by to see me? LOL!

RP :D

vvyk3d 01-15-2005 11:07 PM

western KY (white plains), folks built a log cabin out there. I believe your eastern. Tomorrow ill get out there with some warm water n see what happens. Not the best weather to make the inside of my truck wet but what can ya do.

ccla 01-15-2005 11:44 PM

I wonder what a New headliner runs? Cause I'm betting that no matter how much you scrub, its gonna leave spots.

PolishSVT 01-17-2005 01:15 AM

Ive always had great success with Blue Coral carpet cleaner. Its suually a buck more than other carpet cleaners, but well worth it, IMHO. As suggested above, dont be too hard with the brish, as that headliner material is very thin. But Ive used Blue Coral carpet cleaner for 10 years, and its gotten out every stain Ive had.

I wish you luck.

Joe

wild-mtn-rose 01-17-2005 02:34 AM

A solution of 2 tablespoons of ammonia to 1 cup of water. Soak a clean white rag (if you use a colored rag the color could transfer) in the solution and blot, don't rub, the stains. After you get the stains off you will want to rinse the area. The best way to do that on a headliner would be with a spray bottle of water. Spray it on and blot up the worst with a clean towel. Putting a space heater inside on low overnight should dry it out nicely. Be sure that you do not set it too close to the seats to prevent a fire. I've used a small space heater in my truck many times with no problems.

kcap 85 01-17-2005 03:28 AM

do not rub it you will break through the headliner. If you can find a fast evaporating degreaser we use industrial ID RED at the plant to getrid of a mukltitude of stains. do not rub

Copenhagen848 01-17-2005 01:11 PM

Hmmmmm, that looks more like a crime scene than a pop explosion scene to me......lol just kidding. Yeah that sucks, hope it comes out ok.

Rockpick 01-17-2005 06:47 PM

White Plains huh? I was born and raised in Madisonville...

RP :D

kbldawg 01-17-2005 09:58 PM

The best thing to do in that situation would be to, send the GF out there to clean her mess up!!!

That sucks man!!:mad:

mattadams 01-18-2005 03:29 PM

I have soda on my headliner too, but I only have myself to blame. A few years ago, right before one of the biggest shows of the season, was taking a can of soda out of the cup holder and dropped it. It hit my nerf bar and sprayed everywhere. It got the headliner, interior windows, door trim, seats, carpet, floorboards, EVERYTHING. The headliner is still a little dirty. At one point I was planning on getting a sunroof, which would replace the headliner, but I haven't yet. I picked up some Adam's Polishes carpet and upholstery cleaner after hearing rave reviews, but haven't tried it yet. His stuff is really gentle though.
www.adamspolishes.com

mattadams 01-18-2005 03:32 PM

I have soda on my headliner too, but I only have myself to blame. A few years ago, right before one of the biggest shows of the season, was taking a can of soda out of the cup holder and dropped it. It hit my nerf bar and sprayed everywhere. It got the headliner, interior windows, door trim, seats, carpet, floorboards, EVERYTHING. The headliner is still a little dirty. At one point I was planning on getting a sunroof, which would replace the headliner, but I haven't yet. I picked up some Adam's Polishes carpet and upholstery cleaner after hearing rave reviews, but haven't tried it yet. His stuff is really gentle though.
www.adamspolishes.com

kbldawg 01-18-2005 04:44 PM

I was cleaning my truck today and was thinking about this thread and what happened to vvyk3d, so I look up and find some brown spots on my headliner. I have no idea what it was, but I just took some dish washing liquid, hot water, and an old toothbrush and it came right off.

All i can say is...KIDS!!

I also found some dryed up bubble gum (or something) on the door window, I scrubbed so hard trying to get it off, I had to quit because I was afraid I would damage the tint. I may just let it wear off over time, cause that crap is on there!!