daytime running lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daytime running lights don't work

2016 F-150 XLT 4X4....Two days ago, my instrument cluster went black, no turn signals, and I don't know what else. Took it to a dealership and the mechanic re-seated the 'IPC fuse'. I assume IPC stands for Instrument Panel Cluster. I can't find anything in the fuse diagram that relates to IPC anything. Though I got my cluster display back, I noticed later that my daytime running lights are not working and my headlights don't automatically come on when it gets dark, I have to put them on manually. I am wondering if I should disconnect the neg battery terminal for awhile and re-connect and see if that gets everything in sync and working again.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hello, fhg3. I would not think that disconnecting the battery would fix your issue. But, have you checked to see that your headlight switch is in "Auto"? If not, that would prevent your headlights from coming on automatically at night. And sorry if it seems I'm giving you the idiot treatment, I'm not. I've just learned it's easy to overlook simple things.

Regarding your DRLs, it sounds to me like your dealership may have changed a setting in your Body Control Module (BCM) that enables them. I'd take ti back to the dealership and have them fix it.

Edit: I just realized there are settings in the BCM for my model year truck that disables Automatic Headlights. I suspect there are similar ones in your truck also. If you've verified you have the headlight switch in "Auto" and they still don't work, I'd bet the dealership disabled them too, during their "troubleshooting". They should be able to restore ALL those missing functions.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 11-21-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added More Info About the BCM
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jack. The switch is in 'auto'. The only reason why I thought a battery disconnect might work is that I discovered there is allot of 'networking' going on between various components and the re-seating of the fuse might have only restored some of the communications. Didn't know about the BCM.

Quick Reply: daytime running lights don't work