2009 F150 headlights work intermittently

Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 09 lariat and when I turn the headlight switch if I pull out at the same time i hear a click like the relay is working, but sometimes only one or none of the headlights will come on. If I turn the headlights on first, wait a second, and then pull the switch for the fog lights it works. Any ideas what could be going on? I should say I think it has the wrong battery in the truck, so it may be underpowered.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Does your truck have HID lights? If so you probably just have a bad HID bulb, it happens (quite often).

If you don't then maybe you have a bad relay since you hear it click but nothing happens (although you should not hear the relay clicking from within the truck).

Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDs
Does your truck have HID lights? If so you probably just have a bad HID bulb, it happens (quite often).

If you don't then maybe you have a bad relay since you hear it click but nothing happens (although you should not hear the relay clicking from within the truck).
Do HID's come on kind of dim and then get bright? If so then that's what I have. It appears to be stock, was that an option in 2009? Both headlights were out on the way to work last night, when I left this morning they both worked. It seems like it's shorting out if I turn the fog and head lights on at the same time. Once last week I had only one headlight not turn on.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Murray92589
Do HID's come on kind of dim and then get bright? If so then that's what I have. It appears to be stock, was that an option in 2009? Both headlights were out on the way to work last night, when I left this morning they both worked. It seems like it's shorting out if I turn the fog and head lights on at the same time. Once last week I had only one headlight not turn on.
No that's not stock and they should be taken out. If you have HID fogs and heads then you're pulling allot of amps at one time trying to turn them on and the better might not be able up handle it and the voltage drops to low to light the ballasts. And if you are only getting one headlight to turn on you have a bad ballast or bulb. Ditch the cheap HIDs that are glaring into people's eyes and go back to halogens or pick up some H13 LEDs from 4x4truckled they are some of the better ones that don't glare. Or better yet full on projector retrofit

Last edited by thelariat02; 06-24-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor
I'm assuming these are aftermarket HID than? Do the 2009's come with HID as an option? If so and he has factory HID, he can't just upgrade to LED. The bulb size/etc.. is different (soon we'll be offering direct HID to LED conversion kits, available in the sizes that the HID's are.... but they are not here yet)

However if you have aftermarket HID, then chances are it's an HID bulb that fits in the H13 housing. Then as thelario02 said upgrading to LED is a better option. HID are not TERRIBLE but you see why i'm not a fan of HID. They go bad and are extremely delicate. With LED you can throw the bulb around/touch it/etc... no issues and they last a lot longer.

If these are aftermarket HID in the H13 opening, then yeah you can just buy a new H13 kit and it's an easy swap (replace the bulb AND ballast, as you get new bulbs/ballasts with the H13 kits). If you get the kits from my site, when you go to install them, follow the instructions BUT reverse the bulb. Follow the installation that is marked WRONG as our trucks seem to be backwards.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDs
I'm assuming these are aftermarket HID than? Do the 2009's come with HID as an option? If so and he has factory HID, he can't just upgrade to LED. The bulb size/etc.. is different (soon we'll be offering direct HID to LED conversion kits, available in the sizes that the HID's are.... but they are not here yet)

No factory HID option till 2013

Old 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor
So he must have aftermarket... system is probably just going is all. Time to upgrade (*cough* LEDs *cough*).

Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the info. I had aftermarket HID's. I removed them and went to stock headlights for now. I just bought the truck so I'm out of money for upgrades right now.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Ahh come on you can scrape together $150

Kidding. When you are ready you want to buy the H13 for the 2009. You are lucky in that it's a dual bulb, so one kit will take care of your highs and lows

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 F150 headlights work intermittently