LED Headlight / LED Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patman, I'm not sure how using LED lamps in a halogen reflector causes a ton of glare for oncoming drivers. The H11 halogen lamps distribute light out the sides of the bulb and is directed forward by the reflector. LED lamps distribute light out the side of the lamp (one side only) and is also directed forward via the reflector. Same thing, right? The OEM headlight housing has an internal diffuser over the very end of the lamp no matter which type lamp you are using. The LED lights are so much brighter but it is not glare.

Your truck is a 2014 and had no problems using LED lights but I believe the 2015's are different in how the computer processes and controls voltage. In my post I mentioned that I had installed LED headlight lamps in my 2011 and had no problems at all, and resistors were not necessary for them to work. I think the 2009-2014 models were the years where the onboard computers were not as sensitive to the voltage differences and controlled it so closely. I did install PnP load resistor harnesses inline in my 2015, and they did significantly lengthen the time before the right low-beam headlight cuts out. That tells me it's a voltage issue. Turn the light selector switch off and on again, or to the 'always on' headlight position and the right headlight immediately comes back on. Turn the headlights on without the vehicle (and the computer) running and the headlight never goes out. The LED lamp and the driver have both been replaced with new units but the issue still exists so that is pointing to something with the truck's computer.

I think the time is coming where there will not be many electrical alterations permitted by the onboard computers to our trucks...

Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Splinterman
Patman, I'm not sure how using LED lamps in a halogen reflector causes a ton of glare for oncoming drivers. The H11 halogen lamps distribute light out the sides of the bulb and is directed forward by the reflector. LED lamps distribute light out the side of the lamp (one side only) and is also directed forward via the reflector. Same thing, right? The OEM headlight housing has an internal diffuser over the very end of the lamp no matter which type lamp you are using. The LED lights are so much brighter but it is not glare.

Your truck is a 2014 and had no problems using LED lights but I believe the 2015's are different in how the computer processes and controls voltage. In my post I mentioned that I had installed LED headlight lamps in my 2011 and had no problems at all, and resistors were not necessary for them to work. I think the 2009-2014 models were the years where the onboard computers were not as sensitive to the voltage differences and controlled it so closely. I did install PnP load resistor harnesses inline in my 2015, and they did significantly lengthen the time before the right low-beam headlight cuts out. That tells me it's a voltage issue. Turn the light selector switch off and on again, or to the 'always on' headlight position and the right headlight immediately comes back on. Turn the headlights on without the vehicle (and the computer) running and the headlight never goes out. The LED lamp and the driver have both been replaced with new units but the issue still exists so that is pointing to something with the truck's computer.

I think the time is coming where there will not be many electrical alterations permitted by the onboard computers to our trucks...
Optics.
A led doesn't have the same optics as a halogen filament. There for it hits the reflector in the wrong place and the light gets sent where it shouldn't be. Simple physics halogen filament is different size, length, placement than one COB on a LED board.
Drive up to a flat wall. In low beam you should have a cut off where light stops, with the LEDs up probably have light above that. That's considered glare.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by thelariat02
Optics.
A led doesn't have the same optics as a halogen filament. There for it hits the reflector in the wrong place and the light gets sent where it shouldn't be. Simple physics halogen filament is different size, length, placement than one COB on a LED board.
Drive up to a flat wall. In low beam you should have a cut off where light stops, with the LEDs up probably have light above that. That's considered glare.
LEDs or HIDs don't have the same distribution from the source itself. Which means it can't be properly focused where it needs to go. That's why retrofit is so much better. It's specifically designed to work with the HID. Not to mention the projector lens magnifies the light source as well as focuses it.

The reflector bowls are different from HID vs LED vs Halogen projectors. All 3 use a lens to focus light, but each one uses a different bowl to optimize performance based on the light output characteristics of the light source.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Global Moderator &

See the cut off? That means no glare

Proper cutoff at distance too

Nice smooth even light as far as the eye can see

Old 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Very interesting posts explaining light reflections, thanks! When I first installed the LEDs I put one LED lamp in and left the other halogen in for comparison. I went to a warehouse behind my house and shone the low-beams on one of it's walls. I expected to see much of the entire wall lit up on the LED side but to my surprise there was actually a cutoff line just as there was on the halogen light side. After putting in the other LED I went back and the cutoff lines were still there but not as sharply pronounced with the LEDs.

I've taken notice on vehicles that have obviously replaced halogen headlights with LEDs (too old to be factory LEDs), the sight picture coming towards me is just brilliant white light with no haze, just like the newer vehicles with OEM LED headlights. I know that the LED lamps do light up more like a flood light but I actually prefer that to having a pronounced cutoff like with the halogens. This is especially helpful here in PA where I live where there are deer everywhere...

Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Splinterman
Very interesting posts explaining light reflections, thanks! When I first installed the LEDs I put one LED lamp in and left the other halogen in for comparison. I went to a warehouse behind my house and shone the low-beams on one of it's walls. I expected to see much of the entire wall lit up on the LED side but to my surprise there was actually a cutoff line just as there was on the halogen light side. After putting in the other LED I went back and the cutoff lines were still there but not as sharply pronounced with the LEDs.

I've taken notice on vehicles that have obviously replaced halogen headlights with LEDs (too old to be factory LEDs), the sight picture coming towards me is just brilliant white light with no haze, just like the newer vehicles with OEM LED headlights. I know that the LED lamps do light up more like a flood light but I actually prefer that to having a pronounced cutoff like with the halogens. This is especially helpful here in PA where I live where there are deer everywhere...
I'm sure the glare isn't horrible, it seems these newer more expensive PNP LEDs are "closer" to OEM output. Not the same but def better than PNP HIDs. Have a wall shot picture by chance?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you've already paid money for LEDs, but why not get the oem 2015 LED headlights?

Old 01-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Thanks for taking constructive criticism as such and not taking it as an insult. And not being defense about your choice. I wish everyone was as easy to get along with as you.

Kuddos

Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Thanks for taking constructive criticism as such and not taking it as an insult. And not being defense about your choice. I wish everyone was as easy to get along with as you.

Kuddos
Yea, I think he's actually the first one! Again, thank you!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Many thanks for the kind words! It's all a learning experience otherwise I wouldn't have been asking questions, LOL.

A visit to a different, more helpful dealership yesterday revealed that beginning with the 2015's the new Ford trucks are more 'everything computer controlled' than ever before. According to them, even just changing out the OEM halogens for a pair of the optional FORD HID headlights may not work properly because the types of computer modules are custom chosen and installed based on the options selected at the time the vehicle is ordered. Changing one component means changing something else and so on, etc., so there is a good chance that the days of just swapping out one thing for another are largely in the past. Everything is now electronically controlled.

Interestingly enough, the service guy I talked to made pretty much the same comment I had posted previously about no longer being able to add custom electrical equipment to the new trucks and have it work flawlessly anymore...

Old 01-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Global Moderator &

I'm sure you can make a work around for it.

If there is a will there is a way, it just might take some trial and error

Old 03-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Bambi Mod

i had this same issue with the exact same headlights on the same truck (2007 F150 Fx4). I used the Bambi Mod and it worked great. The issue was gone and it only took me 10min.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dpfist84

LED headlights and Fog lights in my 2005 F-150 FX4.

When the headlights are on by them selves all is well. If I turn on the fog lights though my highbeam indicator in the dash comes on dimly lit.

In my 07, when I first installed LED lights, there were all kinds of gremlins with the signal and brake lamps. No problems at all with the headlight, high beam, or fog.

I changed the flasher relay under the dash, on the driver's side, to an LED relay. That fixed all of my issues. That information may, or may not, help with the headlamp & fog lamp issue. That mod where you ground out the fog lamp pin sounds like it would work for you.

Quick Reply: LED Headlight / LED Fog lights