F150LEDs backup bars on!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:32 AM
Cuz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150LEDs backup bars on!!

I have had many F150's in the past and have always put silverstar reverse bulbs in them for a very slightly better backup light than factory. Which was still very poor light output. Especially in the rear view camera. So when I got my newest truck (2014 Screw xlt 4x4) I decided to put some real light back there!
I did a lot of research on them and finally settled on F150LEDs. I figure if they're going to specialize in what I love to drive (F150's) then I should give them a shot and am I glad I did! They're customer service was great with all my newbie questions. These reverse light bars are affordable, small and put out some serious light! They also seem to be very well built and have handled everything I've thrown at them so far! No plastic parts or any of that junk. They're solid! I installed both of these lights in just over 30 minutes by following the how to video on the F150leds website. It was super easy!
I like them so much that I've already ordered a front light bar. Can't wait! I'll post pics when I get that done too.
Anyway, enough talk, here's some pics... The cell pics DO NOT DO JUSTICE to the actual light output, but you get the idea.

Some after install/day pics

Cam view with factory reverse bulbs only

Cam view w/F150LEDs

The tree is approx 20'-25' back

The barrels are approx 50' back

The dirt hill is approx 70' back

View through the side mirror backing out of a driveway

View from outside the truck, looking back at a gate. You can really see the clear white color of these bars in this pic.

Hope these pics help some of you guys out there that have been wanting some REAL backup light without spending hundreds of dollars. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Here's the website if you guys haven't heard of these lights before.
www.F150LEDS.com

Cheers

Last edited by Cuz; 02-22-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Reckon ye paid too much ... and they are not 'F150-specific - just the usual run-of-the-mill cheap generic Chinglish units ...and where are the specs? Even Amazon gives ye the specs, lol.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...s-install.html

Amazon.com: SHANREN 2x 4" 18w 6 Cree LED SUV Off-road Boat Headlight Spot Driving Fog Light + Mounting Bracket: Automotive Amazon.com: SHANREN 2x 4" 18w 6 Cree LED SUV Off-road Boat Headlight Spot Driving Fog Light + Mounting Bracket: Automotive

FWIW - you got snocker'd in by the usual Marketing Maskirovka 101 - a slick webpage, the (false) promise of model-specific euphoria, and a free F150LED winder sticker, . Don't feel bad - happens to a lot of yunguns.

In reality - they offer overpriced - yet unremarkable - generic products that you can readily find elsewhere for less money ( and in a lot of cases with equivalent or higher quality - as shown by my example above ).

FWIW #2: These would have been a better choice - higher output and a far wider, more uniform beam pattern ( yer pattern, in comparison is splotchy and quite narrow) - and known good quality: https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...pic-heavy.html

Just being brutally candid here ... and sharing the accrued knowledge of many years enrolled in the school of hard knocks.

Best o' luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-22-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Cuz
Mgd, why do you always have to be such a know-it-all ****? Many years enrolled in the school of hard knocks?? Good one... also Every chance you get you go out of your way to try to prove someone wrong. Note: your extensive reply with links and uncalled for opinions & comments. You keep saying For What It's Worth. Well from you, it's not worth anything. lol
I couldn't be happier with the product, the shipping and the customer service I recieved. We all know that your way is the right way, at least you want us to think that, so just spare us your infinite wisdom for once.
F150leds IS brand specific in that they provide lights and lighting systems that WILL work easily with our trucks, they provide the complete kits (not just a light like your link) as well as detailed how to videos on installing. I'm sure you're going to tell us now how much better you can do that too? lol Spend your money on Rigid, sir. I'll save that extra $ and put it towards important things like beer and other things on my truck.

Oh and FWIW... No one was "snocker'd" in this process and I'm probably old enough to be your daddy. Hell, who knows, I might actually be...

Last edited by Cuz; 02-22-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cuz, did you drill and bolt them directly to the bumper ? I've looked at numerous set-ups to help throw some light behind me to load my boat at night and I keep coming back to something like you have done. Due to my exhaust tips I probably can't place them like yours so I am still looking for alternatives.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Dog, your bumper's like mine. It has no bolts on the bottom like Cuz has.

There IS a mount that fits around your trailer coupler receptacle that I remember seeing several years ago. You might be able to find it in a Google search.

- Jack

Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good I love my added reveres lights.

Dog, I used a piece of threaded rod that I bent around my trailer hitch and mad my own "L" bracket that I attached the lights too. Maybe that will help.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Cuz
Originally Posted by Dog'em
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cuz, did you drill and bolt them directly to the bumper ? I've looked at numerous set-ups to help throw some light behind me to load my boat at night and I keep coming back to something like you have done. Due to my exhaust tips I probably can't place them like yours so I am still looking for alternatives.
No sir, I didn't. I used the existing factory holes, bolt and nut in the bumper. It couldn't have been any easier!
If your exhaust is in the way to use those factory holes/bolts then the kit from f150leds comes with plenty of extra wiring pre-spliced and also comes with a "stud" bolt that lets you mount the light anywhere really. You just drill a hole where you want it in the bumper. You'll be really happy with these for $99!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info fellas.

J&J, I found the ones you were speaking of, White Night. Problem is I would want to keep it permanently mounted which means I have to relocate the 7 pin plug. They have a relocation plate but then I may run into my exhaust tips. Plus my neighbor had these and even though they call them weather proof, they may not be all that water tight, his burnt out after a summer of submerging.

Cuz, I was finally able to open your link and watched the install video. Even though I don't have the bumper bolt like on your truck I still think I can make them work while keeping them tucked up out of the way, just need to do some measuring. I am going to try their LED reverse light bulbs, I had one burn out this weekend and figured what the heck. You're right their customer service is great !

Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Good searching, Dog. Those are the ones I was thinking of. I decided against them because of the need to move the 7-Pin receptacle, and, I was not sure they would not be completely compatible with my Weight Distributing Hitch.

In any case, I doubt seriously they were ever designed for submergence. I pull a travel trailer, so that is not an issue for me.

I've recently installed these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...#/tab/Overview in my backup bulb sockets. They fit fine and are VERY bright (although not as bright as the kind that mount under the bumper).

- Jack

Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

I've recently installed these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...#/tab/Overview in my backup bulb sockets. They fit fine and are VERY bright (although not as bright as the kind that mount under the bumper).

- Jack
My brother recently installed those same ones in his truck and really likes them. He is big into LED lighting and uses their products allot.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Good searching, Dog. Those are the ones I was thinking of. I decided against them because of the need to move the 7-Pin receptacle, and, I was not sure they would not be completely compatible with my Weight Distributing Hitch.

In any case, I doubt seriously they were ever designed for submergence. I pull a travel trailer, so that is not an issue for me.

- Jack
Alas, Sir Jack, unlike ye positive experience, that option does not work well fer the 09+ trucks due to their paltry OEM reverse light reflector.

Discussed recently here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...kup-bulbs.html

I'm diggin' the Vled license plate frame solution meseff - stealthy and insanely bright.

MGD

Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Alas, Sir Jack, unlike ye positive experience, that option does not work well fer the 09+ trucks due to their paltry OEM reverse light reflector.

Discussed recently here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...kup-bulbs.html

I'm diggin' the Vled license plate frame solution meseff - stealthy and insanely bright.

MGD
I have no first hand experience with the newer trucks, so I'll accept that. Dog has an 05 though, like me, so he may want to give the SuperBright bulbs a try. At less than $20 ea, they're a lot cheaper than the VLed frame solution and, they're much brighter than the OEM bulbs.

I have a backup camera in my license frame, so I would not be able to use the VLed system either.

- Jack

Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 PM
I have no first hand experience with the newer trucks, so I'll accept that. Dog has an 05 though, like me, so he may want to give the SuperBright bulbs a try. At less than $20 ea, they're a lot cheaper than the VLed frame solution and, they're much brighter than the OEM bulbs.

I have a backup camera in my license frame, so I would not be able to use the VLed system either.

- Jack
Apologies. I remained in the context of the OP's model year truck.

MGD

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Cuz
Originally Posted by Dog'em
Thanks for the info fellas.

J&J, I found the ones you were speaking of, White Night. Problem is I would want to keep it permanently mounted which means I have to relocate the 7 pin plug. They have a relocation plate but then I may run into my exhaust tips. Plus my neighbor had these and even though they call them weather proof, they may not be all that water tight, his burnt out after a summer of submerging.

Cuz, I was finally able to open your link and watched the install video. Even though I don't have the bumper bolt like on your truck I still think I can make them work while keeping them tucked up out of the way, just need to do some measuring. I am going to try their LED reverse light bulbs, I had one burn out this weekend and figured what the heck. You're right their customer service is great !

Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Apologies. I remained in the context of the OP's model year truck.

MGD
Quite all right. I'd totally forgotten about the thread where VLeds were discussed (and that I posted in).

Ah, these senior moments seem to come more and more frequently.

- Jack

Quick Reply: F150LEDs backup bars on!!