Tail light Tinting on 2011 Ford F150 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light Tinting on 2011 Ford F150 XLT

How to remove the tail light fixtures from a 2011 f150.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Instructions

So when I bought this truck I wanted to black/smoke out my tail lights. However everywhere I looked online no one showed how to take out the middle bulb on the tail light housing so I figured I would share my findings. To begin you need to drop your tailgate and locate the two bolts that connect the tail light house to the bed of the truck. Once you have removed the bolt you should be able to pull the light housing out by pulling towards the back of the truck. Once you have removed the housing you are ready to take the bulbs out. This part had me stumped for a few days but like most fords that are on the road all you need to do is rotate the bulb mount counter clockwise and it will slip right out. The bottom bulb on the driver side tail light will take a little more work to get out because of the river that sticks out but you should be able to get it. The middle bulb was rather difficult for my to grasp properly but you rotate it counterclockwise and the bulb mount will slip out. Continue to the top bulb which is the easiest and bam! Tail light is now off your truck and ready to do whatever you want. When I tinted my tail lights I used VHT night-shade and I only applied two coats which have is a black look at night and a dark cherry color in the sunlight. I also used windex to clean the tail lights before I sprayed. Make sure to keep dirt away from the tail lights or else you will have spots on it. Once you apply however many coats and you have allowed he time to dry, read the an for instructions, you can reapply the housing and you will have beautiful tail lights. Hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I struggle with reducing the efficiency of an important safety item like my tail lights by basically painting them black. At the very least, it's probable cause to get pulled over. At the very worst, it's an invitation to get rear ended.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Maybe it's just me, but I struggle with reducing the efficiency of an important safety item like my tail lights by basically painting them black. At the very least, it's probable cause to get pulled over. At the very worst, it's an invitation to get rear ended.
Agreed....

Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Some people enjoy the black/smoke out look that's why I made this thread.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacthered
And ... some people don't know WTF they are doing - including the unintended consequences of their actions, while in single-minded rabid pursuit of their "enjoyment".

If you peruse the site (Advanced Search) you'll find methods and means to darken the tails that do NOT deteriorate visibility. Consider it yer homework. ( Hint = DarrenWS6 )

Additionally - installing much brighter emitters will help to offset the impacts of this mod.

Lemme guess ... Millennial + PnP Fanboy

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-02-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammer ....
Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jacthered
Understood, and welcome to F150 Online. However, I should probably warn you that in this particular sub-forum, most of the elders / experts take a rather dim view (no pun intended) of lighting modifications that do any of the following:

- Reduces light output
- Increases light output - into oncoming drivers eyes
- Reduces safety
- Puts cosmetics ahead of function or safety

The modification you suggested violates at least a couple of the above points. That should explain why you didn't receive the warmest of welcomes from several here including me.

Knowing (now) what is generally accepted here, please feel free to continue to post.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Here's to making a vehicle illegal

Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Patman

That's a really mature sentiment coming from a Mod.

Way to set an example, Patrick. What's next - yall gunna start actively supporting street racing?

For shame.... reported as inappropriate SPAM....

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-03-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 AM

I was one of those guys for a short period with my truck. I had my tails and 3rd brake lights smoked from a member on here.. I did it for a change, something different along with blacking out my badges with plasti dip etc.. But what others have mentioned in this thread is something I always thought about while driving.. Last thing I want is a ticket or worse, get rear ended just to look cool. And the truth of the matter is the truck didnt look much better, just different.

I've since removed my tails, re-installed my Harley tails and purchased a new Oem 3rd brake light along with removing all my plasti dip. Looks way classier if you ask me..

Do what you want, go through the phase and get them tinted, but maybe just have another stock set handy in case you decide to go a different route down the road.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by tg150
I was one of those guys for a short period with my truck. I had my tails and 3rd brake lights smoked from a member on here.. I did it for a change, something different along with blacking out my badges with plasti dip etc.. But what others have mentioned in this thread is something I always thought about while driving.. Last thing I want is a ticket or worse, get rear ended just to look cool. And the truth of the matter is the truck didnt look much better, just different.

I've since removed my tails, re-installed my Harley tails and purchased a new Oem 3rd brake light along with removing all my plasti dip. Looks way classier if you ask me..

Do what you want, go through the phase and get them tinted, but maybe just have another stock set handy in case you decide to go a different route down the road.
Well said!

MGD

Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Well said!

MGD
But now my Vleds V3 Tritons blind the people behind me.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TG got it down perfectly. If you want to try the phase, try it but do it safely. Do not make your taillights invisible with smoke. I have aftermarket LED tails which are surprisingly bright for aftermarket, and they have been smoked/tinted with black paint and clear coat by a spray booth ( no VHT ). No orange peel, and you can still see the light fixture.

Making your brake lights invisible or very dimmed to a following driver could cause you to be at fault for the accident. Quite costly in the end over a cheap modification. In the case of plug and play HIDs in factory halogen housings, it sucks being the oncoming driver on those, especially in the rain.

Safe & happy modding to ya.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by MGDfan

That's a really mature sentiment coming from a Mod.

Way to set an example, Patrick. What's next - yall gunna start actively supporting street racing?

For shame.... reported as inappropriate SPAM....

MGD
I found your picture on facebook

My apologies I forgot I didn't put my sarcasm warning on my post

[serious post from this point on]

I don't have, nor do I wish to have a vehicle with tinted tails. I've posted many times about how dumb it is. I thought given the rash of other posts in this thread that a little sarcasm/humor might be valued. Guess it didn't come across that way to you

I'm also a licensed state inspector for Texas. I know the laws when it comes to vehicle lights, and its one stupid "fad" that I'm personally ready to go away

Quick Reply: Tail light Tinting on 2011 Ford F150 XLT