Any way to improve Factory HID?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any way to improve Factory HID?

Hey guys,

I just got a 2014 Platinum with the factory HID's. My previous F150 had a retro done by Black Flame customs, which was sweet. I had 3" FXR projectors, 5000K D2S bulbs and 55W ballasts. It had nice, clean cut-off lines as well. The beam width and output was amazing.

Going from that to my factory HID's in the new truck is like night and day. It's rather disappointing actually. The beam pattern on the factory setup isn't as wide, and it's definitely not as bright IMO.

Black Flame can do a "clear lens" upgrade which is suppose to help with light output as well as a sharper cut-off. It's a cheap mod, so I think I'm going do do it. However, I was wondering if anybody else has done anything to try and improve their stock HID.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ccmktg
However, I was wondering if anybody else has done anything to try and improve their stock HID.
Sure have. I had the EvoX-R projector put in w/ Osram 66240 Nightbreaker bulbs and 50w ballasts. The difference is literally night and day. Here are some before and after shots:

Stock HIDs:

Name:  20140401_065112_LLS.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  43.4 KB

After upgrades:

Name:  20140401_202231_LLS.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  20140418_202459.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  20140418_202514.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  20140401_202756_LLS.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  65.1 KB

Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by il_duce

Sure have. I had the EvoX-R projector put in w/ Osram 66240 Nightbreaker bulbs and 50w ballasts. The difference is literally night and day. Here are some before and after shots:

Stock HIDs:

After upgrades:

This ^ except as I've said before if you do a lot of dark empty highest driving you should probably use 35w. It'll be easier and less staining on your eyes.

Unless you are getting old and need the extra light to see.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
This ^ except as I've said before if you do a lot of dark empty highest driving you should probably use 35w. It'll be easier and less staining on your eyes.
I completely agree. Most of my driving is in town/city or on lighted highways, so I enjoy the extra output there. But I will say that I just recently did some driving out in the country and it can be a little distracting. Oh, and the high beam performance on the EvoX-Rs is ridiculously awesome.

Unless you are getting old and need the extra light to see.
Does it count if I just feel old??

Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys, this is awesome. Is the EVO-XR a direct replacement? Meaning does it fit in the the same screw holes (or whatever) that the stock projectors came out of? I ask this because I am extremely picky when it comes to rotation on my retrofits. Duce, yours look great and perfectly level to me. Did you have to fiddle with rotating them and making sure they're level and even, or did the projector just bolt right in, and it was already level because it was just replacing the stock setup, in the exact same location, etc? (if that makes sense).

I've had 50W ballasts before, for most of my stuff and I'm pretty used to it for either city and/or highway driving, so that wouldn't be an issue. I haven't taken my lights apart yet, so I don't know what the factory plug looks like. But if you run a D2S bulb (or any other bulb besides the stock D3S), along with an aftermarket ballast, does it still plug and play into the factory harness, just as easy as any other retrofit would?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 PM
I had mine done by Dawson at raptorretrofit.com as I was WAYYY to afraid to pop open $1,200 headlights. But yes, the EvoX-R is the only direct bolt in projector for the OEM HIDs. You will need to convert over to D2S on bulbs and ballasts. And you will also need a new harness w/ relay for the conversion.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I had mine done by Dawson at raptorretrofit.com as I was WAYYY to afraid to pop open $1,200 headlights. But yes, the EvoX-R is the only direct bolt in projector for the OEM HIDs. You will need to convert over to D2S on bulbs and ballasts. And you will also need a new harness w/ relay for the conversion.
This.

Side note on 55w. If you plan on running the best bulbs CBIs, night breakers, Phillips I suggest not running 55w ballasts until TRS fixes their current ballasts problems. They aren't operating perfectly and causing bulbs to die way before they should. Granted not all their aftermarket ballasts are doing this but there is a chance you can get one that flickers like crazy on heat up which is very detrimental to the bulbs.
Now if you are going to run their 3Five or XB bulbs that don't cost nearly as much to change then you should be fine.
If you plan on using OEM bulbs (listed earlier) I would suggest using the Matsu****a's or denso. Yes these will only be 35w but the reliability there is top notch.

Last edited by thelariat02; 07-14-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
lariat,

Unless I misread, what MGD sent us said even their 35w ballasts are negatively effecting the OEM bulbs. I'll re-read, but that's what I got out of it when I read it the first time.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
lariat,

Unless I misread, what MGD sent us said even their 35w ballasts are negatively effecting the OEM bulbs. I'll re-read, but that's what I got out of it when I read it the first time.
No you are correct. Sorry guess I shoulda added that in there.
But that's why I suggest the OEM ballasts at the end.

Quick Reply: Any way to improve Factory HID?