LED headlight conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED headlight conversion kit

Hey guys,

Before I start, if this thread has been started/answered sorry for the duplicate thread!

I have been seeing these new LED (cree, im assuming) conversion kits for the
headlights instead of having the HID or halogen..

I dont know if they have an H13 just yet but is this something that is legit and would produce great visible light compared to the HID (retrofitted) or is this still so new that it needs to be researched more?

Furthermore, is this something that youd but into retrofit projectors instead of an HID bulb?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just know there are tons of knowledge guys on here that know plenty when it comes to lighting

Denton

Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya you want led headlights you are going to be spending a boat load of money and still have less lumens then an hid.
The led world is still pretty far behind.. It'll get there one day tho.
But yes you would have to retro those just like hids, but with a projector (multiple projectors) that is meant for leds.

Your best bet right now is still a retrofit with hids.

No stupid questions just stupid people ha. Your question was legit tho

Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
LEDs are still years away before being a commercially accepted mode of primary illumination. The only cars that have them went through rigorous testing and design. Mercedes, Mitusbishi, Cadillac, Ferrari, etc. LEDs require use of a combination of reflectors and projector to achieve proper illumination reflection and also quite a large heatsink and power packs since their 20W draw produces about twice the heat and less light than a similarly comparable 55W Halogen. As far as PnP system? Forget about it.

Now there are combination dies out there mated to common automotive-style sockets. But these should be clearly marked as auxiliary or for aesthetics use only. You can get some for your fog lights, but they put out less than one-third of the light of a 9145 bulb. Not to mention a cylinder with LEDs wrapped around it placed in a reflector designed for a tiny spherical light source is going to give you a helluva wacky reflective output.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 AM
What's you guy's opinion on these LED headlights, some local guy is selling them and says they produce much more light then halogen but with less glare then HID. I'm sure this is just him being a salesman but any opinions would be appreciated!

http://www.hidvisioncanada.com/led-1...eadlights.html

Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Gonna end up producing less usable light then your halogen. It isn't going to hit the reflector bowl right. Cause scattered light out put, then you won't be happy..
See how they show you the beam pattern and its just a picture of the reflector. If they truly produced better light they would show you a wall shot.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
LED headlights

Hey guys,
Test results confirmed that the new LED headlights are much brighter and produce clear white light than halogen bulbs. Feel free to come down and try these LEDs for yourself.

Here is a photo sent to us by a customer from Calgary. Lights were installed in a 2012 Dodge Ram.

For more information visit:

Gallery - see the Tacoma and Land Cruiser images
http://www.hidvisioncanada.com/hid-i...n-gallery.html

Cheers

Martin
HID Vision Canada

Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hidvisioncanada
Hey guys,
Test results confirmed that the new LED headlights are much brighter and produce clear white light than halogen bulbs. Feel free to come down and try these LEDs for yourself.

Here is a photo sent to us by a customer from Calgary. Lights were installed in a 2012 Dodge Ram.

Cheers

Martin
HID Vision Canada
That's a HORRIBLE beam pattern!

Looks just like a cheap PnP kit in a halogen housing's output in terms of poor width (in fact, there IS no width, lol), poor uniformity and no cutoff. Not to mention waay too much forgound light.

That is MILES behind a proper HID projector.

Sorry - that's what I'm seeing.

BTW - you a Site Sponsor? Be advised of this site's Vendor rules. Just sayin'.

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-28-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree gotta say that throws light every where. Unless those are high beams then lets get a low beam shot. Even then tho those high beams don't look like they throw too far..

Old 11-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hidvisioncanada
Hey guys,

Cheers

Martin
HID Vision Canada
Hahahahaha!! You have GOT to be kidding me! LOL that is CRAP output. Jeeze louise!

Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Hahahahaha!! You have GOT to be kidding me! LOL that is CRAP output. Jeeze louise!
We finally agree on something

I think my Vled V3 switchback turnsignals are brighter,

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-28-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Fergot da 'Nanner, lol!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Those look like my LED offroad lights . . . I think the output is fine, but there's no focus and they're aimed way too high if they're low beams. Depends on cost vs. some PnP HID, which is what they're main competitor likely is.

MGD, are those $150 switchbacks worth that? Always wondered who in their right mind would buy those

Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Those look like my LED offroad lights . . . I think the output is fine, but there's no focus and they're aimed way too high if they're low beams. Depends on cost vs. some PnP HID, which is what they're main competitor likely is.

MGD, are those $150 switchbacks worth that? Always wondered who in their right mind would buy those
^^ Say what? It most certainly is NOT fine. As stated - there is NO width. There is NO cutoff! And 'focus' is the wrong term.

Something you know nothing of, since you refuse to retrofit.

As fer V3's - compared to those f'ugly chip-infested cylinders some use, I'll try to bear the shame. Nothing else out there looks cleaner. It's only money ...

MGD

Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 AM

I always wondered, why would someone waste their money on a PNP kit when they can drive around with their factory high beams on?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^ Say what? It most certainly is NOT fine. As stated - there is NO width. There is NO cutoff! And 'focus' is the wrong term.

Something you know nothing of, since you refuse to retrofit.

As fer V3's - compared to those f'ugly chip-infested cylinders some use, I'll try to bear the shame. Nothing else out there looks cleaner. It's only money ...

MGD
I was trying to be less harsh on the poor guy dammit! Those produce a lot more light than my low-beams do, that's for sure. It is too narrow, I agree.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
We finally agree on something

I think my Vled V3 switchback turnsignals are brighter,

They certainly are pretty darn bright aren't they . Thankfully they dim a little when the headlights are on.

Last edited by tg150; 12-06-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: iPad grr.

Quick Reply: LED headlight conversion kit