New HID fog lights for 2013 F-150

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New HID fog lights for 2013 F-150

My King Ranch came with HID headlights from Ford, but they didn't think the fogs needed it, so I got the lovely yellow halogens to go with the nice white HID's. I found some replacement HID fogs on Ebay and installed them. The picture is kind of hard to tell, but as you are looking at it, the HID is on the right and the stock is on the left. This morning on the way to work, I could really tell the difference. They put out a bid flood pattern, not a spot. At 0430 there is not alot of traffic, I'm curious what oncoming traffic thinks about it. I noticed as I drove under a bridge the light was shinning on the underside of the bridge, so it is throughing a big arch.

Here is the link for the lights if you are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200852540768...ht_6147wt_1154

Name:  null_zps1426b352.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  70.1 KB

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good so far .... are they projectors or just Plug and Play?

I have PNP in headlights and Fogs and nobody bothers me no flashing or nothing and the visibility that I have gained over Halogen is insurmountable.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
you'd been a lot more happy with a retrofitted hid projector....

PnP bulb swaps suck....sorry its not worth it

Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing

These are the plug n play. I don't guess I realized they made a projector fog that fit in the same spot as the stock...or I didn't look hard enough. I don't do any woods or really dark area driving, as I live in the city, so I wasn't looking for anything with great distance, the stock HID headlights do a really good job at that. I was mainly looking to match the light color, as I thought it looked odd having a set of white and a set of yellow lights.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM

I'd have to disagree with you 88

PNP is greater than even OEM projectors IMO ..... I can't stand that cutoff line it bothers the heck out of me ... why when I'm going down a hill with cars coming do I not want to see ahead of me it's just pitch black.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Pockets

PNP is greater than even OEM projectors IMO ..... I can't stand that cutoff line it bothers the heck out of me ... why when I'm going down a hill with cars coming do I not want to see ahead of me it's just pitch black.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually PNP in fogs cause a mass amount of glare. If you just want color go back to halogen and get the tinted bulbs.. Your fellow drivers will thank you..

Now if you really want hid fogs go with a match box projector from TRS or swap over to fusion fogs. That way you won't cause glare onto on coming traffic..

Also fogs aren't meant for distance they are meant to be aimed directly in front of you so it cuts under said "fog" or "rain"

Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
double post

Last edited by Raptor05121; 07-24-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good so far .... are they projectors or just Plug and Play?

I have PNP in headlights and Fogs and nobody bothers me no flashing or nothing and the visibility that I have gained over Halogen is insurmountable.
Just because people don't flash you doesnt mean you arent blinding the hell out of them. I have around 7,000 lumens coming out of my projectors and my sister drove my truck for 45 minutes with the high beams on (let me tell you, those suckers HURT your eyes) without getting flashed.

You are telling me this

Name:  DSC03207.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  13.6 KB

is better than this?

Name:  DSC_2176.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  40.0 KB

Many of us projector enthusiasts like the hardcore, sharp cutoff. However, most projectors have a soft cutoff and even squirrel spotters which dampen the light and give you decent all around visibility above the cutoff, without blinding drivers.

Originally Posted by txsmokeater
These are the plug n play. I don't guess I realized they made a projector fog that fit in the same spot as the stock...or I didn't look hard enough. I don't do any woods or really dark area driving, as I live in the city, so I wasn't looking for anything with great distance, the stock HID headlights do a really good job at that. I was mainly looking to match the light color, as I thought it looked odd having a set of white and a set of yellow lights.
Why do you need fog lights in the city?

PnP is both dangerous and illegal. If you live in a state with inspections, they will fail you. Many places are also taking legal ramification against those who run them. Personally, I have been spearheading the movement here. I've already talked to my local police chief and sheriff who have passed the word to their officers. Down here we have rednecks who lift the front end of their truck and run 8000K HIDs in their heads AND fogs which creates a wall of glare.

The design of the arc inside HID capsules is not meant to be used in reflectors designed for long, dark filaments. When you double the output and put it in a narrow field of view, you are blinding people. Its the same thing as walking with a MagLight twisted to a wide beam and then twisting it to a sharp, powerful beam and shining it in someones eyes.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The only thing that the OP should've swapped to get better light output is the OEM fluted projector lens+projector bowl and changed it to a clear one+EVO projector bowl.....far far better than stock output....

Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
The only thing that the OP should've swapped to get better light output is the OEM fluted projector lens+projector bowl and changed it to a clear one+EVO projector bowl.....far far better than stock output....
^ that!
Simple and very effective

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Raptor, I understand what you are saying about the "wall of glare", but the fogs I put in are 6000 and my factory HID headlights are 6500 (so the dealership told me when I asked), so I am using a less powerful (not by much but it is less) fog light so I shouldn't be creating any blinding issues.....I hope.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Raptor, I understand what you are saying about the "wall of glare", but the fogs I put in are 6000 and my factory HID headlights are 6500 (so the dealership told me when I asked), so I am using a less powerful (not by much but it is less) fog light so I shouldn't be creating any blinding issues.....I hope.
Your stock fogs are like 500 lumens.. I think.. By far a lot less.
Plus glare is light being sent where you don't want it not necessarily just how bright it is.
And do you mean 6000 lumens or 6000 Kelvin. The two are totally different and have nothing to do with each other..

Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
Your stock fogs are like 500 lumens.. I think.. By far a lot less.
Plus glare is light being sent where you don't want it not necessarily just how bright it is.
And do you mean 6000 lumens or 6000 Kelvin. The two are totally different and have nothing to do with each other..
I guess that does make sense. Well if I end up not liking them or get too many flashes, I'll consider changing them. At least I don't have a lot of time or money invested in them. Where is a good place to look for those EVO ones you guys were talking about? I was unaware of those.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM

I guess that does make sense. Well if I end up not liking them or get too many flashes, I'll consider changing them. At least I don't have a lot of time or money invested in them. Where is a good place to look for those EVO ones you guys were talking about? I was unaware of those.
The best we can do is help you know the danger it may cause. Once you understand what might happen I know I did my job and the rest is up to you...

You can find evox-r at theretrofitsource.com . You may wanna look up the swap on line first before making a decision. Look for a thread done by tuxedoblack. He has done these swaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New HID fog lights for 2013 F-150