LED tail lights killed Cruise Control..help

Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question LED tail lights killed Cruise Control..help

Hi all. I have a 2005 f150 that I put LED tail lights in and now the cruise controil doesn't work due to the cruise sensors not getting the right voltage reading from the lights? Just my guess. Is ther a converter I can install to tell the onboard pc that there really is a light plugged in and to get my cruise working again?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Its the CHMSL. You need to put a resistor on the circuit. This topic has been discussed more times than you can shake a stick at, so try searching first.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Well thank you RaptorMan for correcting me about searching (I already did that BTW) and half answering my question. I guess I will "search" some more for the other half.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in the same boat Thundertrucker. let me know what you find, my searches have been less than favorable as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put LED tails and 3rd BL on my truck and haven't had an issue with my cruise control. Do you mean bulbs and not lights? I had bulbs in my factory housings and I had hyperflash until I put the LED tailights in.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I have all LED's for the brakes, reverse (nice bright blue~awesome I must say), and the CHMSL but also have a lightbar wired in. Still LED but that's a bit more draw. I bought a new flasher that supposed to support LED's and solve all this bull**** withthe cruise not working or crazy blinker syndrome etc...it's an EP 27 from Napa for about $18. I have not crawled under the dash to try and swap it yet but will and post my results later.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
FAIL! Napa gave me the wrong part. I needed Napa's EP27L and they gave me the EP27 OEM. One's on order due Sat so I'll see what I see then and let ya'll know. So Locktyght you might try to start looking for the LED upgrade of the OEM flasher. In the meantime replacing it is not so much a pain as I read about. If you remove the rectangular trim panel just below the steering wheel (two 9/32? underneath on either side) and then the metal panel right behind it (four 5/16 screws I think), the flasher is right behind the lower left screw fastened to the metal bracket with those annoying plastic push-in fasteners. Nothing is attached to the metal plate and it folds out and down from the top to unhook from the bottom 2 tabs. You'll see. Anyways, until Sat...

Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The EP27L cures hyperflash. You need resistors wired in-line with the CHMSL to cure the cruise control problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED tail lights killed Cruise Control..help