Circuit for custom fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit for custom fog lights

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-w...it-project.png
Hope you all can see this.

I hate fog lights that you can only use when your headlamps are on. Makes them completely useless in dense fog. By law you have to have your running lamps and two forward facing lamps. So you can have your fog lamps are on your head lamps wouldn't have to be.

This circuit is great because you can leave your switch on for your fog lamps and they will come on with the running lamps and work with your Low beams as well but turn off when you turn on your high beams like required by law.

I am building it using two standard Single Pole Double Throw relays you can pick up at the Auto Parts store and a two sockets. Going to mount them on the drivers side inner fender wall.

I'll post some picks after I build the unit.

Last edited by ajcasper; 10-21-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Picture was not displaying
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds like a great project, but in my years of driving, I've never seen fog that required fog lights but no low beams. You risk a head-on collision driving like that.

Secondly, our fog lights aren't true "Fog Lights". They are more like driving lights just for Ford and other manufacturers to warrant more pricing on the truck. Mine are pretty great in the sense that they are about 5" off the ground and have a flat, wide beam, but its still never made the difference over low beams. All you can really do is drive slow and be cautious about those idiots driving without their lights on

Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Why not just mod the headlight switch?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Since my vehicles never seem to come with working fog lamps or fog lamps of any kind I have always bought yellow wide beam fog lamps that are 35 watts. Equivalent to the low beam head lamps and mounted them as low as I can. Out here in the farm land of South Eastern Wisconsin and where I was before in North Central Illinois the fog can become obnoxious. 20ft or less visibility with normal low beams. I found that these yellow lamps when mounted low cut through the fog and don't bounce right back in your face blinding you like your standard low beams. I first figured this out when I had my 92 Bonneville and it would allow me to run the fog lamps without the low beams. Just running lamps and fogs. Couldn't see a darn thing with the low beams on but with just the fog lamps and running lamps I tripled my visibility. Even at 20mph it is nice to see the curve up ahead and not just look for the yellow line to bend.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Patman, how would you mod the headlight switch that doesn't have a fog lamp setup already? I am curious if there is a cleaner way to do this.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by ajcasper
Patman, how would you mod the headlight switch that doesn't have a fog lamp setup already? I am curious if there is a cleaner way to do this.
don't believe you can mod a non foglight switch, the mod is for a foglight equipped headlight switch that allows you to pull for the fogs when in parking mode

Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah you'd have to scour the junkyards for a switch with "Pull For Fogs" on it

Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
don't believe you can mod a non foglight switch, the mod is for a foglight equipped headlight switch that allows you to pull for the fogs when in parking mode
Do you know is there a posting with that mod on here?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Not the greatest detail, but it should get you there ... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...witch-mod.html

Also ... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...-f-150-xl.html

These mods will not shut the fogs off w/ high beams, however ...

Last edited by fairlaner; 10-25-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Quick Reply: Circuit for custom fog lights