2013 Ford OEM HID Headlights now available!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks everyone, just seen mention of model years, not bulb type, thanks again! much appreciated

Old 10-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Another question, I'm Canadian so we have DRL, I don't know personally but do the new HID lights run DRL in Canada? Do American models require DRL now? Or can I get my dealer to enable the DRL if I were to do this swap?

Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you are going to have to find a way to shut off the drl.
Most drls run the halogen bulbs at like 6 v. This will cause the ballast to either flicker. Or the relay to kick on and off..

Old 10-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a good question. I know OEM, they just run the headlights. You should put a DMM on the socket and find out what it is pushing out for DRLs.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Good idea, I will take a look at that and I will also talk to my dealer and see if they can disable the DRL, either way I would like them disabled, thanks for the reply guys!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I just bought the 2013 OEM HIDS plug and play with harness on ebay and installed on my 2013 F150 Lariat. I read all the forum posts and watched videos to make sure I was installing right. However, my passenger side light flickers when lights are turned on and then goes out. I checked all the harness connections, tried two different ground locations including the factory ground, and even unhooked the entire harness and reinstalled. The passenger light still flickers and then goes off while the drivers side works no problem. Anyone know what the issue might be?

Last edited by RobJW11; 05-28-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by RobJW11
I just bought the 2013 OEM HIDS plug and play with harness on ebay from AllStarAutoLightsMichigan and installed on my 2013 F150 Lariat. I read all the forum posts and watched videos to make sure I was installing right. However, my passenger side light flickers when lights are turned on and then goes out. I checked all the harness connections, tried two different ground locations including the factory ground, and even unhooked the entire harness and reinstalled. The passenger light still flickers and then goes off while the drivers side works no problem. Anyone know what the issue might be?
If you checked all the things you said you checked, the next thing I would look at is the connection to the bulb itself. Pull the rubber circular cover on the back and that will give you access to the bulb. Make sure everything is tight. Another check you could do is pull the bulb from the other side and put it in the non-working housing to see if it is the bulb or something else.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by il_duce
If you checked all the things you said you checked, the next thing I would look at is the connection to the bulb itself. Pull the rubber circular cover on the back and that will give you access to the bulb. Make sure everything is tight. Another check you could do is pull the bulb from the other side and put it in the non-working housing to see if it is the bulb or something else.
Dis x2

Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 PM
had similar issue with mine. turned out to be a bad ballast. FYI

Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My truck came with the OEM hid setup. How hard would it be to upgrade to the D2S ballast and bulbs and how much?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
My truck came with the OEM hid setup. How hard would it be to upgrade to the D2S ballast and bulbs and how much?
You can only upgrade to the D1S ballasts and bulbs (which TRS has CBIs D1S) unless you swap the projector to an Evox-r which then takes D2S

Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thelariat02
You can only upgrade to the D1S ballasts and bulbs (which TRS has CBIs D1S) unless you swap the projector to an Evox-r which then takes D2S
Is the D1S a bolt in or do I have to open the housings? I want something plug n play.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4

Is the D1S a bolt in or do I have to open the housings? I want something plug n play.
You'll need to get the ballasts and bulbs, but it should be plug and play

Old 05-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by il_duce
I was able to do some trouble shooting this evening and here is an update. I triple checked the harness and thought all looked good, including the grounds. I then unbolted each headlight and plugged each entire headlight unit on opposite sides, just with a quick plug in and turned on the lights. The headlight that was flickering and then shutting off that was on the passenger side still did the same thing when plugged into the drivers side, and the headlight that worked fine on the drivers side still worked just fine with a quick check by plugging in the passenger side.

So, that eliminated the harness as the issue and narrowed it to either bulb or ballast. I took the bulb that flickered in the passenger side ballast and installed it in the drivers side ballast. When plugged in on the drivers side ballast the bulb worked fine. Likewise, I took the bulb that worked fine on the drivers side ballast and switched it to the passenger side ballast. This bulb now flickered and shut off when the lights were turned on.

Based on these tests I am pretty sure it is a bad ballast in the passenger side headlight. The guy I ordered the plug and play 2013 OEM HID headlights from online is going to mail me a new ballast. Hopefully this takes care of it.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by RobJW11

I was able to do some trouble shooting this evening and here is an update. I triple checked the harness and thought all looked good, including the grounds. I then unbolted each headlight and plugged each entire headlight unit on opposite sides, just with a quick plug in and turned on the lights. The headlight that was flickering and then shutting off that was on the passenger side still did the same thing when plugged into the drivers side, and the headlight that worked fine on the drivers side still worked just fine with a quick check by plugging in the passenger side.

So, that eliminated the harness as the issue and narrowed it to either bulb or ballast. I took the bulb that flickered in the passenger side ballast and installed it in the drivers side ballast. When plugged in on the drivers side ballast the bulb worked fine. Likewise, I took the bulb that worked fine on the drivers side ballast and switched it to the passenger side ballast. This bulb now flickered and shut off when the lights were turned on.

Based on these tests I am pretty sure it is a bad ballast in the passenger side headlight. The guy I ordered the plug and play 2013 OEM HID headlights from online is going to mail me a new ballast. Hopefully this takes care of it.
With that its 100% the ballasts.. Are they the OEM Ford ballasts? Or aftermarket ones?

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford OEM HID Headlights now available!