Done with Recon Lighting!!!!!! **YOU SHOULD READ THIS**

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Done with Recon Lighting!!!!!! **YOU SHOULD READ THIS**

Labor day weekend I was washing my truck and noticed a gap in the lens of my driver side RECON tail light and the truck itself. When I removed the light a piece of the housing (extension for the screw to go through) fell off of the light. I looked at it and saw that the piece that fell off had cracked. I used contact cement to repalce it onto the housing and caulked around it to strengthen it. No big deal.

When I went to work a friend of mine told me to check the Recon website to find out about any warranty. I figured it couldnt hurt to check. I knew the lights were over two years old but checked anyway. In one part of their website they claim a lifetime warranty on material and craftsmanship. I thought I might have something.

I emailed inquiring as to the warranty claim. I was dismissed as being out of warranty and told to fix it myself. I replied as to what was covered under the lifetime warranty. I was not given an answer and told that they could sell me the replacement for the side I needed. I asked again "why does you're website say lifetime warranty?" Again no answer was given and I was told again, like I was a child, that they were two yeras old and out of warranty. I never had argued the age of the light, I had only asked about the lifetime warranty. I was then told that the wholesale price of the light (1) was $130 dollars and that was after a hefty discount, that to me is outrageous! The last straw was when I asked for the reason why Recon lights were better (worth more) than similar style lights (that are half the price). I was told that he "didnt have time to compose an email" on the quality of Recon's products. What?! Really?! They cant defend their own products to a simple question! My question was called "crazy talk" and dismissed. I was told the $130 for one light offer stood and basically to take it or leave it. I am outraged at this!

I like my Recon products, I really do. I had even said in one reply that if the warranty was up it was up. I would buy a new light for that side, no big deal. I will not however stand behind or back a company that treats it's customers the way I was treated. If someone at Recon cant tell me why their product is better than the competitors than , to me, that says its not any better. Then to be told that he "doesnt have time" to answer a simple question from a customer is just insulting. I work in wholesale and know that you find an answer if you dont have one but dont say you dont have tiime for someone that , by buying you're products, has kept you, at least fractionally, employed. Its insulting. All that needed to be said was I dont know or to simply give me a reason you're products are better. If in fact they are better.

Sorry for the length of the post but felt strongly that this needed to be said.
Please make you're own decisions as to purchasing products from Recon, but please take my experience as an example of how you may be treated should you choose to use Recon lighting accessories.

I have transcripts of all the emails if anyone has any doubt or questions about my experience..I also have left out the name of the party whom I had corresponded with on purpose. If for any reason you need or would like that name please PM me. I hope that someone high up with Recon sees this post.

thanks for reading

Last edited by ranger332; 09-15-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger332
Labor day weekend I was washing my truck and noticed a gap in the lens of my driver side RECON tail light and the truck itself. When I removed the light a piece of the housing (extension for the screw to go through) fell off of the light. I looked at it and saw that the piece that fell off had cracked. I used contact cement to repalce it onto the housing and caulked around it to strengthen it. No big deal.

When I went to work a friend of mine told me to check the Recon website to find out about any warranty. I figured it couldnt hurt to check. I knew the lights were over two years old but checked anyway. In one part of their website they claim a lifetime warranty on material and craftsmanship. I thought I might have something.

I emailed inquiring as to the warranty claim. I was dismissed as being out of warranty and told to fix it myself. I replied as to what was covered under the lifetime warranty. I was not given an answer and told that they could sell me the replacement for the side I needed. I asked again "why does you're website say lifetime warranty?" Again no answer was given and I was told again, like I was a child, that they were two yeras old and out of warranty. I never had argued the age of the light, I had only asked about the lifetime warranty. I was then told that the wholesale price of the light (1) was $130 dollars and that was after a hefty discount, that to me is outrageous! The last straw was when I asked for the reason why Recon lights were better (worth more) than similar style lights (that are half the price). I was told that he "didnt have time to compose an email" on the quality of Recon's products. What?! Really?! They cant defend their own products to a simple question! My question was called "crazy talk" and dismissed. I was told the $130 for one light offer stood and basically to take it or leave it. I am outraged at this!

I like my Recon products, I really do. I had even said in one reply that if the warranty was up it was up. I would buy a new light for that side, no big deal. I will not however stand behind or back a company that treats it's customers the way I was treated. If someone at Recon cant tell me why their product is better than the competitors than , to me, that says its not any better. Then to be told that he "doesnt have time" to answer a simple question from a customer is just insulting. I work in wholesale and know that you find an answer if you dont have one but dont say you dont have tiime for someone that , by buying you're products, has kept you, at least fractionally, employed. Its insulting. All that needed to be said was I dont know or to simply give me a reason you're products are better. If in fact they are better.

Sorry for the length of the post but felt strongly that this needed to be said.
Please make you're own decisions as to purchasing products from Recon, but please take my experience as an example of how you may be treated should you choose to use Recon lighting accessories.

I have transcripts of all the emails if anyone has any doubt or questions about my experience..I also have left out the name of the party whom I had corresponded with on purpose. If for any reason you need or would like that name please PM me. I hope that someone high up with Recon sees this post.

thanks for reading
Did you purchase your lights DIRECTLY from Recon or from a re-seller such as eBay or autoanything or 4wheelparts ??

Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I've read they are really Recon (www.gorecon.com) units.

OP, check PMs.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
That is **** poor customer service. I would never treat one of our customers that way. I head up US production for our company and when I get letters or e-mails from customers, I give them a personal phone call and spend as much time with them as they desire. I have turned almost all of them from "I'll never buy your product again" to 'customers for life' due to the personal service. All customers want is for you to listen to their issue and truly care about it.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:40 PM
They were purchased directly from Recon. I have the invoice. They had time for me when they were running my card and aquiring my hard eaned money. But they dont "have time" to answer a question about their product. Aint that funny?

Last edited by ranger332; 09-16-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 PM
This truly is no way to treat customers, as well as trying to "ignore" questions regarding their "Lifetime Warranty."

Though another forum member did dig deeper on their website and found verbiage that basically says there are no lifetime warranties on 12v powered products (just a 90 day warranty), meaning all their lighting kits!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I understand their's no lifetime warranty now. My question went to what is covered by a limited lifetime warranty. I accepted the fact that they were out of warranty and let him know that. I was goilng to pay the $130 he wanted for the one light. The response that he didnt have time and that my question was crazy talk is what completely turned me. It is my belief that Recon throws around the words "limited lifetime warranty" in the hopes it fools people,that fail to read past it, into buying their products believing they are buying a lifetime warranty which just isn't true. The question is still not answered. What is covered by their limited lifetime warranty. They wouldnt tell me.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
All their products are a little overpriced/overrated. Just my opinion. But then again they have the only Led taillights that look decent for the 04-08, still not worth the $$$ though. So I guess they only warranty their stickers

Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Augster
...<snip>... dig deeper on their website and found verbiage that basically says there are no lifetime warranties on 12v powered products (just a 90 day warranty), meaning all their lighting kits!
http://www.gorecon.com/customer_serv...cle.php?csak=9

Strange part, there are 2 answers to the question, 1 says all but lighting items are limited lifetime warranty, the next answer ( without restriction on product ) says 90 days.

Bit confusing to get a contradictory answer to the question, on any product they make.

Warranties -- How do I claim a warranty issue on an item?

A: Any RECON products that are found to be defective in either material or craftsmanship will be covered under our Limited Lifetime Warranty. Lighting items that require electrical 12-volt power during operation are covered for a period of 90 days following the original purchase date. All warranty claims must be accompanied by the original proof of purchase (a customers first & last name along with their order # is all that is needed) & this information must be sent via email to warranties@reconaccessories.com

A: We warrant that your RECON product will be free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal use by the original consumer purchaser for ninety days from the original purchase date.

If any RECON product proves to be defective within the warranty period, at our discretion we will repair it or replace it with the same or similar product at no cost to you. To obtain warranty service, either return the defective product to an authorized RECON dealer or send the defective product (freight/shipping costs must be prepaid) to:

RECON Truck Accessories
attn: Warranty Dept
5050 NORTH HIATUS ROAD
SUNRISE, FLORIDA 33351
I have never been impressed with Recon's. Back in the day, they might have had the best fit finish product, but now just about anything that costs more than 40.00 fits just as well, and works as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
To me that warranty statement says the 'body of the light' is warranteed for a lifetime but the 'electrical components' are warranteed for ninety days.

The above would make sense to a normal human being because electrical components, especially bulbs, can fail. Corporations and their sniveling lawyers can probably corrupt that language to mean you have a ninety day warranty if the plastic disintegrates...

Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Recon sucks.I have had two of there lightbars and neither one has lasted more than a year. The last one(Recon Extreme) lasted 7 months and it was suppose to be the best lightbar they made. I now have a cheap ebay light bar that looks just as good and has lasted a year and a half so far and no problems

Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 PM

I'd call them out on that 12v statement. Last time I checked, none of our vehicles give out 12v.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I'd call them out on that 12v statement. Last time I checked, none of our vehicles give out 12v.
It does not run on nominal 12v ? What does it run on then ?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our trucks electrical system acutally runs around 14.4v. When the motor is running. There is only 12v when the motor is not running and you are on battery power...

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 AM

Not even. I'm at 12.3vDC with a silent engine.

Just a formality but worth arguing over for a company that has those kind of policies.

Quick Reply: Done with Recon Lighting!!!!!! **YOU SHOULD READ THIS**