Done with Recon Lighting!!!!!! **YOU SHOULD READ THIS**

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Not even. I'm at 12.3vDC with a silent engine.

Just a formality but worth arguing over for a company that has those kind of policies.
That is not a formality. It is a 12 V nominal voltage system.

Items are listed as 12 V or 24 V if applicable.

Bet they would just hang up on you if you did try to play lawyer like this.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
That is not a formality. It is a 12 V nominal voltage system.

Items are listed as 12 V or 24 V if applicable.

Bet they would just hang up on you if you did try to play lawyer like this.
That's why I think aviation manufacturers are smarter than automotive manufacturers, they list everything as either 14 or 24v since that is what everything on an airplane is designed to run at.

And apart from me never calling them, they can hang up on their customers all they want. They just lost one (OP) and with all this bashing going on, they'll surely lose some more.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
That's why I think aviation manufacturers are smarter than automotive manufacturers, they list everything as either 14 or 24v since that is what everything on an airplane is designed to run at....<snip>....
Any responsible manufacture also lists the design voltage ( can't believe you have not seen this will all the reading on lamps you have done ).

Most 12 V DC nominal voltage items are designed at 13.5 or 13.8 V DC are the common ones, and this is what the amp draw is usually given at.
The data sheet for the item will give the design voltage, amps and operating range for VDC, temp, etc.

Airplanes ( from what I recall ) the history was 28 VDC system ( think it was actually 2 14V batteries similar to a semi being 12 V, but the batteries are 24 V for the starter and larger items ) in them, which would make them 14 V nominal voltage once upon a time.
Bet those have the same issue with the key off - run voltage level you are calling a formality.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Design voltage is listed as 12.8vDC IIRC for tungsten-halogen bulbs. Lifespan, color, temp, and flux is given off using this voltage.

My airplane is a 14v system, but nowadays newer aircraft are moving towards the 28v system because they can run thinner and lighter wire than with a 14v system. As far as running any type of avionics with the "key off" (I'm guessing without an APU as well) would be pretty silly. Just about all aircraft call for avionics switch off until the engine is running.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting back on track on the thread subject...

Just a follow-up as I had e-mailed them via their "Contact" form asking for clarification on their Limited Lifetime Warranty versus their 90 Day Warranty as both are listed under their FAQ.

I have not received any response so far.

Will try once again, and if yet no answer still, then will call them up via their toll-free number.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I didn't want to wait anymore for e-mails so I simply got them on the phone and was told that for both their LED third brake light and LED tail lights for 09+ F-150's the warranties are 1 year from date of purchase and covers the entire product.

Certainly not a lifetime warranty, but neither is it only 90 days...

EDIT: A rep finally actually called me in response to my original e-mail several days ago. I was about to question the quality of their customer service as it states on their Contact page that a response would be forthcoming within 24-36 hours. Guess they're off the hook... so far.

Last edited by Augster; 09-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
So what's a good alternative? Apparently they are all garbage. I'm leaning towards a pair of Hella tail's because I know they are good. I thought Recons were some of the other scarce quality LED products out there for our trucks but low and behold..

Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by ranger332
Labor day weekend I was washing my truck and noticed a gap in the lens of my driver side RECON tail light and the truck itself. When I removed the light a piece of the housing (extension for the screw to go through) fell off of the light. I looked at it and saw that the piece that fell off had cracked. I used contact cement to repalce it onto the housing and caulked around it to strengthen it. No big deal.

When I went to work a friend of mine told me to check the Recon website to find out about any warranty. I figured it couldnt hurt to check. I knew the lights were over two years old but checked anyway. In one part of their website they claim a lifetime warranty on material and craftsmanship. I thought I might have something.

I emailed inquiring as to the warranty claim. I was dismissed as being out of warranty and told to fix it myself. I replied as to what was covered under the lifetime warranty. I was not given an answer and told that they could sell me the replacement for the side I needed. I asked again "why does you're website say lifetime warranty?" Again no answer was given and I was told again, like I was a child, that they were two yeras old and out of warranty. I never had argued the age of the light, I had only asked about the lifetime warranty. I was then told that the wholesale price of the light (1) was $130 dollars and that was after a hefty discount, that to me is outrageous! The last straw was when I asked for the reason why Recon lights were better (worth more) than similar style lights (that are half the price). I was told that he "didnt have time to compose an email" on the quality of Recon's products. What?! Really?! They cant defend their own products to a simple question! My question was called "crazy talk" and dismissed. I was told the $130 for one light offer stood and basically to take it or leave it. I am outraged at this!

I like my Recon products, I really do. I had even said in one reply that if the warranty was up it was up. I would buy a new light for that side, no big deal. I will not however stand behind or back a company that treats it's customers the way I was treated. If someone at Recon cant tell me why their product is better than the competitors than , to me, that says its not any better. Then to be told that he "doesnt have time" to answer a simple question from a customer is just insulting. I work in wholesale and know that you find an answer if you dont have one but dont say you dont have tiime for someone that , by buying you're products, has kept you, at least fractionally, employed. Its insulting. All that needed to be said was I dont know or to simply give me a reason you're products are better. If in fact they are better.

Sorry for the length of the post but felt strongly that this needed to be said.
Please make you're own decisions as to purchasing products from Recon, but please take my experience as an example of how you may be treated should you choose to use Recon lighting accessories.

I have transcripts of all the emails if anyone has any doubt or questions about my experience..I also have left out the name of the party whom I had corresponded with on purpose. If for any reason you need or would like that name please PM me. I hope that someone high up with Recon sees this post.

thanks for reading
I bought a set of headlights for my truck. I had them professionally installed and everything was great for about 3 days. I love the way they look and make my truck look great. It started with one of the lights going out on the 3rd day. No big deal, took it back to my installer he replaced and two days later went out it. I had it replaced again. The next day the light blew on the other side. My installer called recon and they sent out a new converter and wiring harness which fixed the problem for about a week. Recon keep sending replacement parts until my 90 day warranty ran out and now they tell me there is nothing they will do to fix it because the warrant ran out already. Even though the problem started 3 days after installation. The customer service is horrible and very rude. I paid Over $600 for junk lights and the company will not stand behind there product. If your reading this and thinking about buying from recon I would save yourself time and money.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds more like a shatty ballasts problem (not converter). But ya you learned the hard way. $600 coulda been better spent towards a retrofit. That's about how much I put into my retrofit.. Heck you could do one for $300 and have more reliability and 10x better output than those Recons.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?

Old 06-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmp
Any updates?
The original thread is 3 years old. If you have a question you can start a new thread and we'll do the best we can do to help you.

Quick Reply: Done with Recon Lighting!!!!!! **YOU SHOULD READ THIS**