Raptor's How-To: Wig-Wag Foglamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Raptor's How-To: Wig-Wag Foglamps

DISCLAIMER #1- THIS MOD IS FOR OFF-ROAD USE. PENALTY FOR ON-ROAD USE FOR NON-EMERGENCY PERSONNEL IS ARREST FOR IMPERSONATING AN OFFICER.

Disclaimer #2- This information is for entertainment and factual posting only. I, nor F150online.com or its parent vBulletin owners take no responsibility for any damage incurred by anyone attempting to replicate this procedure, whether on a vehicle or one's driving record. Please be smart and disconnect all electrical power before servicing.

-------------------------------------------------

So I wanted to add some more warning power to the front of my truck for the short trips to my fire station or when responding POV. Wig-wags are great since the light they utilize is already aimed for maximum glare (in this case, to get your attention). My only problem is they only work on halogens. Since I have HIDs for primary lights, I have to put them in my fog lamps. However, since I like to take the hard road and would rather make than buy a pre-built system from Galls, I decided to build my own for much less. I also took the time to completely re-wire my fog lamps since they are utilizing my old Hella’s system.

Estimated Cost: $20

Estimated Time: 15 minutes

Supplies needed:
1x 12vDC 4-pin, 30A Bosch relay
1x 12vDC 3-pin Tridon EL13A-2 Emergency Flasher relay
1x 10A in-line fuse
2x 6A Diodes
1x DPDT Switch
Basic knowledge of automotive circuits and relays

This diagram is tailored towards my truck, but the single 4-pin power relay and EL13 flasher are the main players in this mod. However, since most fog lamps are controlled via one single relay, you will have to split them; one relay controls one lamp and the other relay controls the other lamp. This is so the Triton relay will be able to send its power to each individual lamp as it alternates back and forth. If you only had one relay with one wire going to both lamps, obviously it's going to light up both simultaneously, thus defeating the purpose of wig-wags themselves.

Before beginning this mod I spent an afternoon (well, all night actually) rewiring my fog lamps. When I first installed them years ago, I rushed and basically ran some wires from the light to the bumper for ground, and a single wire snaking up the support, over the pax fender, and into a relay. It looked hideous. But yesterday I bought some loom, new wiring, crimp connectors, etc, etc and cleaned the whole thing up. I also took the time to split my one relay fog lamp into dual relay fog lamps. Luckily for me, my old Hella 2020 (which had two bulbs, driving and fog) not only came with two relays, but a DPDT switch, making this simply a matter of plugging in my Tridon flasher and viola.

Since this mod is pretty easy, and mainly just time consuming, I skipped a majority of what I did- running wires and splicing. I hope most of you can do that. And if you can, the wiring diagram above is worth a thousand words. So here are some pics:

This is the relay setup under the hood. Not very clean at the moment. And technically, still isn't finished. My diodes haven't come in so I can't use both right now. So the wig-wags are wired in, and once the diodes come in, I can put them back on the blue relay and diode them into the fog lamp relays without causing back feed.

And this is the DPDT switch. "FOG" for well...that's self explanatory. And "DRIVING" will be for what else- driving to the scene!

A .GIF of them in action (can be seen much better in video below):

And what fun would this be without a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djB9MCkx1Jw

Drive safe!

-Alex

Last edited by Raptor05121; 09-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool mod raptor!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! How hard would it be to hook it up to a car alarm so more of us can use this mod? I'm guessing it should be fairly easy? Unless there is some legal issues with that?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 PM

AFAIK, cops don't care if its not in motion. As long as the car alarm puts out a constant 12vDC, have that tied into the "switch" on the wig-wag relay.

Video is live

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God damnit Alex

Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex that is freaking sweet!!
I think I may do that too. My chief doesn't allow us to run red or blue lights. Many guys have amber or white lights. This is defiantly creative.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM

They look friggin sweet at night. Already got to use them on the way to the station not too long ago.

Might have to throw some 65W 9005s in there and see how much brighter they are.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
They look friggin sweet at night. Already got to use them on the way to the station not too long ago.

Might have to throw some 65W 9005s in there and see how much brighter they are.
What about LED bulbs? If they make them. You probably wouldn't get much usable light output from them. They would be more white and it would be instant on and instant off. Plus I would think that they would be pretty visible to on coming traffic.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Nope. The only LEDs that are good are ones angled into your eyes. (ie: expensive, name-brand units from Whelen). If you're talking about those 9145 LED bulbs, those are trash. The put out ~250 lumens (950lm for a halogen 9145) plus the focal point is non-existant with angle-specific LEDs. It would be pointless.

Just put in a 9005 on one side. Can't tell much difference (glare is glare) but its a tad whiter than the 9145s. I wonder how long they will last with this kind of voltage fluctuations

Last edited by Raptor05121; 09-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Raptor's How-To: Wig-Wag Foglamps