Looks like TRS is stepping into the fog retrofit game

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like TRS is stepping into the fog retrofit game

Kind of wondering how well these would work in my fog lights....need to do some measuring.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=249

Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. That would look completely amazing to put them in an old fog lamp and paint the inside to match the truck. Would give it an insane look.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I contemplated doing a retro-fit with these for a while about a month ago and after much research found that performance difference over the Silverstar 9005 wouldn't be worth the price. It wouldn't be too hard of a job to complete if you used epoxy glue since the blazers have no mounting holes. Frankly, I don't like the output of the Blazers. Not very wide and the cutoff is bowed. They also have problems with melting when using HID bulbs if you leave it idling too long.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks for that input, mSaLL. I guess I will just stick to my halogens then. I'd like to do a retrofit to my fog lights, but idk if it would be worth the trouble...

Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 AM

It will be much less expensive and probably a lot easier than the headlight retrofit, so by all means if you want to do it then go for it (especially if you are after the looks). But from a performance standpoint I personally don't think the investment is worth it, especially since you will already have a projector retro-fit which will likely drown out/defeat the fogs anyways if you use both.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 04-04-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
It will be much less expensive and probably a lot easier than the headlight retrofit, so by all means if you want to do it then go for it (especially if you are after the looks). But from a performance standpoint I personally don't think the investment is worth it, especially since you will already have a projector retro-fit which will likely drown out/defeat the fogs anyways if you use both.
thats my exact thinking as well. I will probably just keep my halogen bulbs, and probably pick up a pair of those Catz halogen ballasts that Alex is looking into as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM

The blazers are a halogen projector, and can/will melt when using HID bulbs as mentioned. The projector I was looking at to do the fogs with is the Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini (D2S). Being a bi-xenon I would tie it in to the high beams as well. I just don't have the $$$ or time right now to try it.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I guess I missed the halogen part...I just saw the Morimoto bulbs and assumed HID. :o

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM

If I was to do a fog retrofit, I would use the factory fog projectors off of the Ford Fusion, people are raving about their fog performance with HID replacements and from the pics I've seen their output looks fantastic. Another good option is the Hella DE projectors, but it looks like that one might be a difficult retro-fit on these trucks.

But the square housing of the 04-05 F150 with the 65w 9005 bulbs has a super wide output that pierces the fog pretty well without the HIDs on, which is what I want in a foglamp on a lifted truck in the super dense fog we get here in the Central Valley after heavy rains.

If I find some Fusion fogs cheap and can collect the parts I may attempt it with some 3000k bulbs, although I feel the round 06+ fogs would be a much easier retro than the larger/deeper 04-05 fogs so I'd probably have to do a bumper conversion as well.

The D2S mini would be sweet, although the FX-R is much wider output. High beam would be INSANE though.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I thought the same thing about the Fusion fogs. I may look into those.

As for the "Double high beam" though, that would be EPIC!

Quick Reply: Looks like TRS is stepping into the fog retrofit game