2003 - Electric Spark to High Side Port result in no a/c!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 - Electric Spark to High Side Port result in no a/c!

2003 4.2l V6 F150

I need some HVAC help, I made a careless mistake last week while tightening the battery terminal with a ratchet. Ratchet handle hit the high pressure port of the HVAC causing a massive spark while tightening the positive battery terminal resulting in no A/C.
I turn the A/C on, and compressor no longer engages.

***EDIT***
in case i'm wrong about what was hit with the charge, here's a picture, circled exactly what I hit and where the spark was.

All fuses are under hood and under dash are fine.
Relay under hood is fine.

I then replaced the high pressure switch and the low pressure switch (or maybe its called the cycling switch), compressor still wont engage with A/C on.

I then jumped the low pressure switch or cycling switch (not sure what its called, but its on the drier) for a split second and saw that the A/C Compressor came on.

Since the A/C Compressor can come on if i jump the low pressure switch, and the system had worked fine before the spark, any idea what else it could be?

I do have a VCMII, not sure what good it could do in diagnosing the problem with the A/C, though I understand the A/C does or is supposed to communicate to the PCM...

Thanks!

Last edited by tj03f150; 08-20-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 PM
so i havent yet put on manifold gauges to check high and low pressure, but i did put a recharge kit on the lowside which read nothing... i added whatever was left in the bottle and now the clutch short cycles. so in my opinion, thats progress!

Friend of mine is coming over tomorrow with his hvac tools/gauges etc. going to see what kind of pressure we get, possibly evacuate the whole system and refill it to know that we've got the right amount in it.

if it is not working because its low on r134a, it would be really odd to me that my a/c was fine until i accidentally arc'd it to the positive terminal with a wrench...

Old 09-04-2018, 11:02 PM
So i think the spark thing and all that was just a major coincidence!
Looks like a pretty serious leak on the hose.

The R134A i added had a dye to help find leaks. Here's the ugliness from the dye with UV Light.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Man that's a serious UV light. Puts my little flash light to shame.... now I want to upgrade: lol:

Quick Reply: 2003 - Electric Spark to High Side Port result in no a/c!