Cab of truck fills with noxious odor with use of ventilation system

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab of truck fills with noxious odor with use of ventilation system

Have a 2015 F150 XLT EcoBoost. After a month of owning it, it started to produce an odor that resembles exhaust whenever the ventilation system is engaged. It is stronger at times than others, but has no rhyme or reason. It happens whether it is cold or hot air. It gets so bad, the ventilation has to be turned off and the windows put down to air out the cabin. Have had it to numerous dealers but either they claim they do not smell it (even when it is obviously present) or have no idea what is wrong and conclude it is new car smell. This is certainly not new car smell as the odor changes from new car smell to something completely different once the ventilation is turned on. Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 05-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Define noxious odor so we know what in the world it could be.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
True story. When I was living in California one of my co-workers complained that he got dizzy a lot of the time when he drove to work but it only seemed to happen in the mornings and not in the afternoon. We finally figured out that it only happened when he used the defroster in his new used car and that the defroster didn't work very well. He finally took it apart and discovered three joints in the duct work! It looked like someone had laid them on the dash and they fell into the vents.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Cool Exhaust in Cabin at Startup & Random

Originally Posted by Ford=America
Have a 2015 F150 XLT EcoBoost. After a month of owning it, it started to produce an odor that resembles exhaust whenever the ventilation system is engaged. It is stronger at times than others, but has no rhyme or reason. It happens whether it is cold or hot air. It gets so bad, the ventilation has to be turned off and the windows put down to air out the cabin. Have had it to numerous dealers but either they claim they do not smell it (even when it is obviously present) or have no idea what is wrong and conclude it is new car smell. This is certainly not new car smell as the odor changes from new car smell to something completely different once the ventilation is turned on. Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing this?
I have a 2011 Supercrew, and it started getting exhaust into the cabin at startup, or at least that was when it was most noticeable due to it being more rich at starup? that's my guess, anyways I thought it was a rear door seal or something as I would sniff around and it was worse in back seat area, although I never really had an answer until today when i was installing an amp behind the rear seat I removed the padding to see the best place to screw into , I noticed there are 2 body vents, one on each side of lower back wall, and they have these very flimsy rubber flaps which seem like they are only supposed to let air out, as they move when you blow on them (not very impressed with this design) well after you see them move when you blow on them they don't come springing back and in fact, a few seem curled and you can see light through them. I imagine this breaks the vacuum , and lets the fresh air come in better through the front when the windows are up , but if it fails to close it may also let exhaust in from under body. I could replace them but I am thinking I am going to seal them completely, and crack a window if i need better flow, so at least I know I am not getting fumigated. I suppose I should bring it in to the dealer , but I'm at that point where I get tired of hearing their excuses when there isn't a recall yet.

Last edited by RooterMcNasty; 11-18-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add more

Quick Reply: Cab of truck fills with noxious odor with use of ventilation system