Need help accessing AC clutch - 2006 F150

Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help accessing AC clutch - 2006 F150

Hello. I've appreciated the help I've received trolling this forum. First post.

I have a 2006 F150 and believe the air gap in my AC clutch assembly might be too large. I have a basic understanding of the process of measuring and, if necessary, adjusting the air gap. However, I can't figure out how to access it!

The AC compressor is down on the bottom left side of the engine. Looks like I'd have to remove the fan and shroud to get at it from the top. I crawled under and can't see a way to get to it from below. (But I didn't have it raised so maybe that would make a difference??)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Update and air gap adjustment

A follow-up in case anybody else is interested. By raising the front of the truck the AC clutch is fairly easy to access from below.

My AC was cycling on and off intermittently.

My air gap was .040" and, after reading springerpop's great instructions (http://springerpop.com/F350/air_gap.html), I removed a shim and brought the gap to .020" AC has worked flawlessly since.

I took my truck to a shop and asked them about the air gap - said it wasn't that and needed a new compressor at $1,300!! Luckily, I didn't trust them! Cost $0 and took 10 minutes - almost a miracle.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks for sharing.
I'll have to try this when I get some time.

Search this Thread